Is this realistic?

tasha41

Mum & Dad + 1
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've got a question for people in 3rd trimester/who have had kids basically. Is it realistic for me to plan to go on maternity leave one week before my due date, or should I think about going sooner?

My friend that I work with and had a baby had her baby prematurely before her leave would have started and another girl took 2 weeks of vacation right before her due date & went late anyway with baby. My mother however, a real trooper, worked right up until the day she gave birth.

Any thoughts... ?

I left work at 37 weeks which I thought was about the perfect time for me. I was suffering with SPD and I just liked having an extra 3 weeks to sleep and spend a bit of time by myself. It wasnt so long that I was bored, but it wasnt so short that I didnt have time to do everything I needed to do, if that makes sense. After having Seth Im pleased I took a bit of time to myself because its none stop now! lol obviously I wouldnt change him for the world but I did like having a few days to do what I wanted. Everyone is different though, my mother worked up until she went into labour and she thought that worked really well for her.
xxx

I worked up until a week before I was due. Went 3 days over but was good not ebing bored for the last part of my pregnancy, kept my mind off it all!

It depends how your pregnancy progresses. I had SPD and once I got to 34 weeks I could hardly walk, never mind go to work all day long. I was also in and out of hospital/on bed rest etc for the last part so to be honest.. I would follow what you think is right. You can't predict how you will be feeling at that far gone, for some people it is fine but for others its hell! Lol

I believe you have to give four weeks notice, so you are right to be thinking about it right now. I was put off work at 28 weeks by my doctor because of stress-it was affecting my blood pressure. I do know people who work right up to their due date, and they are fine, this was my initial plan as well... If you think you are up for it, and your doctor says it is okay, then you should be able to work right up until your due date. :hug:

I believe you have to give four weeks notice, so you are right to be thinking about it right now. I was put off work at 28 weeks by my doctor because of stress-it was affecting my blood pressure. I do know people who work right up to their due date, and they are fine, this was my initial plan as well... If you think you are up for it, and your doctor says it is okay, then you should be able to work right up until your due date. :hug:

LOL I know I don't really feel like working, I'd way rather be at home in bed or something, the real reason is because I'm scared I'll lose touch with the outside world and not socialize at all except for on here and on facebook! :(

LOL I know I don't really feel like working, I'd way rather be at home in bed or something, the real reason is because I'm scared I'll lose touch with the outside world and not socialize at all except for on here and on facebook! :(

Yeah I know what you mean... Maybe if you go off work, you could sign yourself up for some parenting classes so you will have a reason to leave the house!! Just a thought :)

it would also depend on your job; something in an office could be easier to work to closer to your due date than something where you are on your feet all day..... and of course how you feel. As for being stuck at home by yourself, arrange for friends to come over and visit, go to some classes, even swimming, if you've got a suit, make yourself get out of the house!

I have this week left and I couldn't work any longer to be honest. I'm just too tired and my SPD is starting to really hurt. The constant braxton hicks doesnt help either. Everyone is different though X

To be honest i think given your job and being on your feet all day you'll struggle, but if you think youll feel up to it then go for it. Id say about 37 weeks would be a good time for you to go if you want to leave it as late as poss

i worked up till 36 weeks and struggled the last week!!

I'm 36 weeks today and this week has been hell (and it's only Wednesday...) I'm finishing at the end of next week (start of xmas closeup) and don't know quite how I'll cope. Last week I was fine, so its changed really quickly. It will be different for each woman, depending on your job description and how you feel in yourself. I work in an office but I also need to do some lifting (not heavy) and I'm also hating the drive in and from work during peak hour traffic. And to think at the start of my pregnancy I was keen to come back after the xmas break and work right up until my due date!! What was I thinking... crazy woman!

I finished at 35 weeks. Had caitlyn a week earlier. I loved the spare time off on my own. It flew by and i'm due to go back to work in 8 weeks! I don't want to go :(

I would say get out of there at 38 weeks. But, my Mom worked right up till she had me :)
She did insurance sales, so it was not lots of standing, just driving.

im leaving at 27 weeks, im tired all the time so ive decided to leave early.

tbh given that you're on your feet all day I think you will really start to struggle around week 35.

totally depends on your job babe- mine is in the retail sector, on my feet most of the day selling contracts, I was going to work up until 37 weeks but quickly changed my mind when I hit 25 weeks, the weight gain had started to affect my feet, and I was in agony after work each night. Needless to say I changed my leave date from mid jan to start of december :D so I was 31 weeks when I left. The best decision of my life, I feel I can rest and get everything ready in my own time, no rushing around. Plus when I get bored I can do yoga on my birthing ball, wash baby clothes/nappies/bedding and clean the whole house from top to bottom :D
xxx

Im going to take mine at 34 weeks, i work in retail aswell and on my feet alot, though i do get regular breaks.
I think by then ill just have had enough.

I left at earliest possible time with my ds, and honestly cldn't of been happy! I know I remmebr being on leave and thinking Lord how did I have time to go to work! LOL There'll be plenty to keep you busy and like eveyone has said it depends on your job, the journey in etc. I was in retail and not well at all, so really needed to leave!

It's all personal, start going to some mum & tots clubs or something, look into it. I know you don't have the tot yet but am sure you'll get plenty of attention of the broody mums. LOL. Visit family all sorts, lol. So whenever you leave you'll find somethign to entertain yourself. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->