Is this really an ugly name?

juhnayrae

Reaction score
I posted a poll on another forum and I was a little shocked how many people told me that our baby girl name is ugly! We've decided to use the name Brielle Eisley (her last name will be Gibson). Out of all of our baby names I thought this one would be the most accepted, DH and I tend to like different names. For example, our boy name is going to be Ransom Noah, which I know a lot of people think is weird, but it's very special to my DH and I. I don't think it's any more weird than some of those made up names you hear.

Am I crazy for thinking the name Brielle is pretty?!

Brielle isn't my cup of tea, personally. For some reason I associate it with washing up liquid??? But anyway, it's a totally usable name and if you love it, don't worry about why others (especially strangers on the internet) think! Your baby after all!

Now Ransom, that is different! :D Do you mind me asking how it came about?

Yeah, I didn't think Brielle is really that uncommon of a name! It keeps moving up in the rankings every year and I know two couples that have used it for their girls' middle names (Olivia Brielle and Allison Brielle) so I was shocked when people told me it was weird and ugly!

The idea for the name Ransom came from a book series by C.S. Lewis. It's a trilogy he wrote and the main character's name is Ransom. I thought it was unique and different! Both DH and I love C.S. Lewis (our dads' both read us the Chronicles of Narnia books growing up and my dad read me the trilogy as well) so it's a special childhood memory we both share and want to share with our kids! My dad actually started reading to me when I was 4 and we kept at it until I went to college, which might sound weird, but it was a special way he and I bonded. When I told my dad I wanted to name our first son Ransom in honor of him reading to me and creating such wonderful childhood memories he started to cry :) That's what sold me!

There are some harsh views on a couple of other baby name forums. I am a member of a baby name forum (which I won't name) where some of the ladies have absolutely nothing nice to say including a very rude moderator! I would read some other threads to put the views into perspective as I have been hurt by views on other forums in the past, and then read other threads and seen that the regulars there are nasty to everyone about their name choices and have actually gone easy on me compared to how they have laid into others with completely normal name choices!

I think Brielle is neither weird nor ugly! You are definitely not crazy.

The very first thing I thought when you said "Ransom Noah" was, "I wonder if she's a C. S. Lewis fan..."

The idea for the name Ransom came from a book series by C.S. Lewis. It's a trilogy he wrote and the main character's name is Ransom. I thought it was unique and different! Both DH and I love C.S. Lewis (our dads' both read us the Chronicles of Narnia books growing up and my dad read me the trilogy as well) so it's a special childhood memory we both share and want to share with our kids! My dad actually started reading to me when I was 4 and we kept at it until I went to college, which might sound weird, but it was a special way he and I bonded. When I told my dad I wanted to name our first son Ransom in honor of him reading to me and creating such wonderful childhood memories he started to cry :) That's what sold me!

That is beautiful. :cloud9:
And no, Brielle is definitely neither weird, nor ugly. Don't listen to the haters!

love Brielle, it was actually on my name list for DD, and especially love Eisley, it's a really cool name. I've been on a few sites before where people are just plain nasty for the sake of being nasty, I'm not on there anymore, but that's just how they are, and it's not just towards you either, it's towards everyone :shrug: I'm not sure if they feel some sort of superiority complex, or they feel they can get away with bullying because they are hiding a screen, but try not to mind them any attention.

I have a cousin name Brielle...it is a very pretty name I love bit.

My DH and I also like the more unusual name (my own being an unusual Karinne) and I think Brielle is really lovely. :hugs2:

Brielle isn't ugly.

However, Ransom doesn't have a nice meaning. :nope:

Ransom is the practice of holding a prisoner or item to extort money or property to secure their release, or it can refer to the sum of money involved.

My DH and I also like the more unusual name (my own being an unusual Karinne) and I think Brielle is really lovely. :hugs2:

I have a somewhat unusual name too (Jenae- like Renee but with a J) and I've always gotten so many compliments on how unique and beautiful it is! I hope my DD (if this is a little girl!) has the same experience. Thanks for your comment :)

Brielle isn't ugly.

However, Ransom doesn't have a nice meaning. :nope:

Ransom is the practice of holding a prisoner or item to extort money or property to secure their release, or it can refer to the sum of money involved.

Well, we aren't really going by the dictionary definition of the word "ransom". I didn't share this before because I don't want to offend anyone (I know that there are people of all kinds of faith on this site and I respect them all! Also, this isn't necessarily the place to talk about these things) but DH and I are Christians and we believe that Jesus was the ultimate ransom for our sin, so we wanted to name our first son that because of our faith. We hope someday our son will understand why we named him that too.

That might make some people uncomfortable, which is why I didn't share it, but it's a very personal decision between DH and I and we really don't expect everyone to understand or like it. We know it's a different name, but we love it!

I had to google the pronounciation :blush: but I think it's a really pretty name!

Brielle is so pretty and feminine! I love it! I don't how anyone could find it ugly...

Brielle is more of a "normal" name if you ask me. It's often used as a nickname for Gabrielle...I see nothing wrong with it and actually really like it!!

Ransom, on the other hand, is definitely NOT a name I would ever choose, and I can't help but imagine him being ridiculed for it in school, but I do like how you and your DH have a meaningful reason for choosing such a name. I would personally suggest using it as a middle name, perhaps, so that he can choose whether to go by such a different name, or a common name such as Noah. Just my opinion though and I know this post was asking about Brielle.

:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->