is walk safe?

ghazal

Reaction score
Hi everybody!I am doing walk regularly for 20 min from the start of pregnancy & 19 weeks pregnant now.My friend yesterday told me not to continue it as it can start labour early.Is it true?Anybodyelse doing walk regularly to maintain yourself & are u walking fast or slow?

Walking is completely safe and good for you! It can't start labor. It can help labor along once you are already in labor but it's not going to start it. :hug:

Of course it is safe, otherwise we wouldn't walk anywhere LOL!

I admire you for being so committed to taking a 20 minute walk every day, personally i am too lazy.
Although i am currently painting my bathroom, and hallway so i guess that is exercise.

Walking is absolutely fine! Most exercise is as long as you are used to it pre-pregnancy and it's not high impact/contact sport.

walking is fine hun, in fact i'm the same as you doing 20 min walk every day. I didn't exercise for the first 12 weeks and just took it easy so my muscles have started to go and getting cellulite so i'm defo going to be walking every day to get back to norm!! (well as norm as i can be ha)

I have got to walk my dog for at least an hour a day and have not had any problems and then 20 mins back and forth from the car park to work! (bloody cities!)

I'm 23 weeks and I must admit I am starting to feel it in my back at the end of the day now. Just listen to your body, you'll know whether your doing too much or not x

Walking is perfectly safe! If I don't do my daily 35 minute walk I feel icky and tired. It seems after I walk I just feel so much better. Keep up the good work!!

Walking is great it strengthens all the core muscles that you will need to use to push baby out so in a way you are actually preparing for birth but it won't cause pre-term labour so carry on as normal :)

I still walk once a week for at least 7 miles - normally 8.5 miles. Its normally 3.5 to 4 hours worth. I feel fine, and just slow down if i feel the need x

my gynecologist said it is fine to walk and its good for me and the baby. It also helps with swollen feet....

My MW recommends walking as well as swimming, as it strengthens the muscles that you need for labour. If you start to get ligament pain just slow down and take smaller strides, and walk less far. I have found that walking has kept my SPD at a minimum, on days where i do nothing i am really stiff and sore.

Not only is it okay, but it can help with labour. My mother walked for about an hour for every single day of her pregnancy with one of my sisters and it resulted in a much easier birth than with the others (she has 7 kids). Her GP (whom she had been seeing throughout the pregnancy) told her afterwards that she would recommend it to all of her pregnant patients. xx

I have to walk 2-3 hours a day as part of my job (im a self employed dog trainer / behaviourist but do dog walking also for a bit of extra money. I just sit down if/when I need to. I need to continue this for as far into the pregnancy as possible before taking 3 months off, i have been told its perfectly fine as long as you listen to your body and rest when you need to :)

xx

i walk my boy to school then the dog round the park twice a day, it takes about an hour, and is just over a mile.

That's a weird thing to say! I walked for hours every day through my last pregnancy and am actually feeling guilty for not doing as much this time round. I also walked an hour to the hospital when I was in labour to make sure things got going properly! Walking is a great thing to do, keep it up.

I agree, this is a strange question to be asking in this day and age. All you have to do is google "exercise during pregnancy" and you'll get thousands of credible websites explaining how good exercise is for you during pregnancy. It just goes to show you that you must take everything with a grain of salt when it comes to advice from other people. Most of the time they don't know what they're talking about. You should not be doing strenuous exercise and make sure your heartrate does not get too high, but a 20 minute walk is the minimum amount of exercise you should be getting. Doesn't your doctor speak to you about this? I have lost 10lbs since I got pregnant and my doctor keeps advising me that regardless of weight loss I should NOT stop exercising although it's been hard to go on my daily walk lately due to snow and ice.

i walk my boy to school then the dog round the park twice a day, it takes about an hour, and is just over a mile.

Dottymouse, I recommend that you buy a pedometer. They're inexpensive and you simply carry it with you in your purse or hook it to your waistband and it counts the steps you take and the distance you have walked while carrying it. I carry mine all day long and aim to walk 10,000 steps which for me is about 4.5miles. I'm suggesting this because from what you've written you may be surprised to find out that you've walked more than what you mentioned. Even at a leisurely pace I walk a mile within 20minutes, you'd have to be walking at a snails pace to walk a mile in an hour. It's worth finding out, I think you're underestimating how far you've walked.

Your friend is nuts. How exactly does she expect you to get around?:wacko:

I walked 5 miles a day (2.5 miles to work and 2.5 miles back) 5 days a week until I was 36 weeks, when I then moved house. I then spent 4 weeks maternity leave walking to Tesco and back (a 2 mile round trip) as I was soooooooooooooo bored.

My midwife said that it was really good for both me and the baby as he was getting lots of freshly oxygenated blood into his system and it was helping to keep my muscles strong.

No actually you shouldnt walk for more then 3 minutes during pregnancy. Personally i hired a man to carry me about the place from about 8 weeks.....:)

Your friend is talking crap hun. Ignore her

I agree, this is a strange question to be asking in this day and age. All you have to do is google "exercise during pregnancy" and you'll get thousands of credible websites explaining how good exercise is for you during pregnancy. It just goes to show you that you must take everything with a grain of salt when it comes to advice from other people. Most of the time they don't know what they're talking about. You should not be doing strenuous exercise and make sure your heartrate does not get too high, but a 20 minute walk is the minimum amount of exercise you should be getting. Doesn't your doctor speak to you about this? I have lost 10lbs since I got pregnant and my doctor keeps advising me that regardless of weight loss I should NOT stop exercising although it's been hard to go on my daily walk lately due to snow and ice.

Dottymouse, I recommend that you buy a pedometer. They're inexpensive and you simply carry it with you in your purse or hook it to your waistband and it counts the steps you take and the distance you have walked while carrying it. I carry mine all day long and aim to walk 10,000 steps which for me is about 4.5miles. I'm suggesting this because from what you've written you may be surprised to find out that you've walked more than what you mentioned. Even at a leisurely pace I walk a mile within 20minutes, you'd have to be walking at a snails pace to walk a mile in an hour. It's worth finding out, I think you're underestimating how far you've walked.

i do have a pedometer, it is on my phone, it says so far today i have walked 2400 steps which is 1.1miles aparently, i dont know how accurate this is, as the phone is donkeys years old, (only using it till i get my new contract phone,) but normally in a day i walk roughly about 4-5miles, the phone is in my pocket all day, but not at night, (which is when i walk the most, up and down stairs for toilet trips in the night)

im hoping that my new phone will be able to get a pedometer on it, as i love seeing how far i walk each day, with b ot my other children i never walked anywhere, and was sooo lazy, but this time im doing my best to stay fit and healthey and active. :)

No actually you shouldnt walk for more then 3 minutes during pregnancy. Personally i hired a man to carry me about the place from about 8 weeks.....:)

I love that idea! I wonder if my hubby would believe me?!? Who am I kidding, he'd just buy me one of those grabbers that street cleaners have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->