Is your baby lactose intolerant?

To be honest every time they don't know what is wrong they will blame "colic". My LO was fine for some reason from 3-4 months and then got progressively worse. when I told the doctor and HV they both said oh she's got colic again!!! In the end we went private (Katerina also had really bad reflux and wouldn't sleep at all at night so we didn't want to wait).

Hey symptoms where constipation, tummy ache which was very apparent at night as she is tummy sleeping, spitting up milk and screaming when feeding. She wasn't actually tested for it but the doctor after I described him of the symptoms instantly without a doubt said she is intolerant.

Push them for answers!!

Ollie is showing some of the symptoms mentioned in this thread, he is breastfed through bottles - isnt sick apart from when he is being greedy. He has the odd bottle of Cow & Gate Comfort but is always grimacing and grunting in his sleep almost like he is in pain. I think he has a case of silent reflux, my Midwife doesnt think so.

Do you think he could be LI even when breastfed, I havent fed any of my other two kids so not sure on this one. I dont think the Comfort is doing him any good - would it do any harm to try the soy milk etc -im so confused !

Hi Hunny! If he is lactose intolerant he would be affected whatever way he ia feeding as what you eat goes straight to him! I wouldn't change the milk to soy, they now recommend to not give soy under the age of six months.

If you are worried I would talk to the doctor and see what he recommends? xxx

Alden is diagnosed as lactose intolerant but due to my daughter [she's dairy intolerant] having problems from newborn, they were willing to test him straight away thankfully! He was exclusively breastfed for a week then switched to formula and breastmilk...this is how they ruled out dairy intolerance with him as it started at day 3 and continued from there.

He was colicky, non stop screaming each and every day [even on comfort milk] constantly chesty, sick, had awful nappies that were like green water, they smelt awful, he was always grimacing and had his legs up in pain, NEVER slept, lost weight...you just keep badgering them and they'll eventually do something for you. If not ask for the address to complain and they'll soon give you a test :)

Well I'm back from the docs now with D (covered in sick and very upset both of us!) and we have Gaviscon. She said he can't be LI as he has steady weight gain so we're gonna try this, if no better after the G runs out I'm gonna take him back as I can't keep feeling guilty and upset every day :(

I haven't read all of the posts but the whole not testing for LI infuriates me!

i was LI when i was born, 27 years ago it was very uncommon, i was in intensive care and my mum was told i was going to die - it wasn't till a doctor came back from holiday who's seem LI once before suggesting testing that i finally got better.

i grew out of it to an extent, i still couldn't have a glass of milk or anything but i could eat cheese, cream etc in moderation.

when i fell pregnant i couldn't stomach dairy again and i spent 9 months asking for them to test LO when she was born and they told me not to be stupid, its far too uncommon (surely the mother having it, increases the risk?)

anyway, she was born and i started to BF, a week later she's lost so much weight we were back in hosp. we went through 25 nappies that day and she screamed and screamed after a feed. she was pooing water, and it was so acidic it took the skin off her bottom. well again i asked and asked for her to be tested and eventually they gave in. low and behold - she was slightly LI, not hugely and she now takes SMA fine but she had still lost loads of weight.

it just annoys me that i knew what was wrong with her, and my mum kept telling them (she's experienced it first hand!) and they just kept telling me not to be silly.

looking at this post - how can they say it's too uncommon?

i thought i was doing something wrong, and i think i was on the verge of depression before i went on the bottle, its so unfair!

rant over!

Well I'm back from the docs now with D (covered in sick and very upset both of us!) and we have Gaviscon. She said he can't be LI as he has steady weight gain so we're gonna try this, if no better after the G runs out I'm gonna take him back as I can't keep feeling guilty and upset every day :(

I am really sorry to say this but Katerina is lactose intolerant and her weight gain was fine!! We only found out about it because of the pain she was in and the spitting up!!! Try Gaviscon for a few days and if there is no improvement go back!! Gaviscon should work really quickly! :hugs:

Erin has been on the SMA LF for 24 hours now and she's like a different baby! We've had no sick, no screaming and her dirty nappy this morning (she hadn't been for about 38hrs) was yellow rather than a stinky green! I'm really hoping this is going to continue to work for her, I have a happy smiley little girl all the time-without the screaming fits after a feed!

Alden was still gaining weight albeit slowly it was still a steady gain...he lost then would gain an ounce or so, follow your instincts :flower:

Oh hun, no that is totally wrong, my LO gained loads of weight but he is def LI. He was 6lb 11oz at birth and he had doubled his birth weight ny 3 months when it was discovered but he is still LI. They gave us gaviscon too but it didn't work with regular formula, he is on gaviscon now but with LF milk and he's fine. Even now he is being weaned he still can't have any foods with lactose as it makes him very sick.

Erin has been on the SMA LF for 24 hours now and she's like a different baby! We've had no sick, no screaming and her dirty nappy this morning (she hadn't been for about 38hrs) was yellow rather than a stinky green! I'm really hoping this is going to continue to work for her, I have a happy smiley little girl all the time-without the screaming fits after a feed!

So glad to hear that she is doing better, it's wonderful when they are happy after being in distress for such a long time. I really hope it continues x

I went to the dr the other day and basically said "Yes it might be colic but I want to rule out silent reflux and lactose intolerance first." He ruled out silent reflux (although i'm still not entirely convinced because his reason was that she's not been sick) but then he was telling me that it wasn't lactose intolerance and i was just gonna have to grin and bear the colic but he slipped and said that lactose intolerance can be caused by switching formulas or switching from breast to formula...which LO was! I pointed that out and he was like.. 'oh yeah..' and ordered the test, haha. So waiting for the results for that at moment!

BTW there doesn't have to be any weight loss or lack of gain when it's temporary lactose intolerance. xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->