Isla's birh story - 06th June 2010

fluffpuffin

Reaction score
For those who don't know, my EDD was 26th May, but little madam showed no signs of wanting to make an appearance. 7 days after my EDD I had a stretch and sweep that resulted in me losing my plug but nothing else. Also baby wasn't fully engaged yet at this stage and my cervix wasn't very favourable and only 1cm. Then the night from Friday 4th to Saturday 5th I was really uncomfy with lots of pressure in my pelvis and didn't sleep well and all day I had very strong pressure in my pelvis but no other symptoms.

But then suddenly things started happening at 10.30pm on the 5th June after I just had a shower and was drying my hair. I felt pain that could ony be contractions and they were 10 - 15 minutes apart. I kept an eye on the time, trying not to get my hopes up, but noticed they were soon coming every 5 minutes. I phoned delivery suite who advised me to stay home as long as possible and time contractions. if they were coming every 3 - 4 mins for over an hour and I couldn't cope with the pain I should ring them again. I managed until 2am, then phoned them again and they grudgingly agreed I could come in. The contractions were agony by this point.

Once in hospital I got examined and was found to be 3 - 4cm dialated with regular strong contractions and was allowed to stay in . I asked for pain relief and was given entonox. it took the edge off the pain but as the contractions got more painful I didn't find it all that helpful plus, it made me feel really disorientated.

Come 6am I was in agony and not coping and asked for the epidural. The mw asked me to reconsider and asked me to try a hot bath first - I grudgingly agreed to try it, knowing very well it wouldn't really help. :grr: It made me feel so uncomfortable and out of control that after 3 contractions I got out and asked again for the epidural. The mw said to wait to be examined first, which I agreed to. I got examined at 6.30 and hadn't made any progress which didn't help in making me feel like the pain was achieving something.

So finally around 7am I got the epidural - and thank goodness I did. I could have kissed the anaethatist for taking my pain away. It was a patient controlled epi so I could top up every 15 minutes if I wanted and still had most of the feeling in my legs and use of my bladder, which was great. I was then fairly comfy for quite some time.

Then I got re-eaxmined at 10:30 and got a bit disheartened when I had still not made any progress. The mw decided to give me syntocinon to make the contractions more efficient. She wanted to wait until 2.30pm to examine me again. At that stage I was fully dialated - finally . The mw decided to wait an hour and then start pushing to allow the baby's head to drop further. At 3.30pm I started to push and did so for an hour and a half - but no progress, and not for lack of trying. The mw said I pushed really well, but to no avail, little mada wasn't budging.:nope:

So they decided that the consultant should decide the next step. They decided to try ventouse and forceps first, then if that was unsuccessful to do a c-section. My epi started wearing off on one side by this point and no amount of top-up managed to stop the pain. it was unbearable. I was wheeled to theatres in agony. Luckily the docs gave me a spinal very soon then - bliss!!!

They then attempted instrumental, first ventouse and then forceps but didn't manage to get her out - she was well and truly stuck and back to back.

Another surgeon then came to do the c-section and 5 minutes later at 6.40pm Isla entered the world screaming at the top of her voice:cloud9: They first handed her to hubby and then to me for skin to skin while they sowed me back up. She's just so perfect. We're absolutely in love with her.

https://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu237/fluffypuffin82/IMAG0066.jpg

https://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu237/fluffypuffin82/IMAG0078.jpg

She is perfect and you look good for just having a baby. I hope I look that good! Congratulations!

Oh she is such a cutie! Congratulations!

Oh she'a a beauty! I hope my baby has lots of hair too!

Congratulations on your daughter, I hope you are feeling ok after the c-section x

Congratulations! What a labour, well done! Isla is beautiful, and I love the name as well :)

Cat
xxx

Congrats she's just beautiful and I love her name!

She's gorgeous, well done hun :cloud9: Congrats! :hugs: How much did she weigh? x

Once more congratulations my dear!!! I am sorry to hear labour wasn't great but the end result makes up for it doesn't it? :)

Can't wait to see some more pics!

xxxxxx

gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!! Congratulations fellow May mummy!! (even though you spilled into June!)

x

Once more congratulations my dear!!! I am sorry to hear labour wasn't great but the end result makes up for it doesn't it? :)

Can't wait to see some more pics!

xxxxxx

Thanks. You are right. The end result soooo makes up for it. Every bit of pain was so worth it :cloud9:.
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->