It really does baffle me.....

if i'm brutally honest my stash has probs cost me in excess of £400 :blush: and i have more on the way!! lol but i am addicted and a little obsessed :blush: but i will be using for subsequent babies and will sell on any i dont like/arent usable for next babies!!

i also cannot bear the thought of sposies in landfill for that long !! imagine the amount the wole world throws away in 3 years?? it must be immense!

i totally agree, i think lots of people dont realise how much cloth nappying has evolved from terry's! i can understand why some people wouldnt want to in those circumstances but its the same (with a couple of extra wash loads a week) as using sposies!

If you're totally lazy like me but live in a second floor flat, cloth nappies are actually easier. With disposables, I'd have to take stinky nappies all the way downstairs to the outside bins and I NEVER EVER remember to take the bins out when I'm already going out, I always have to make a special trip. It might not sound like much but when you've had two hours sleep and you haven't brushed your hair in three days, an extra trip downstairs (and back up again!) can break you!!! With cloth on the other hand, all I have to do is a load of washing, and I enjoy that, especially hanging up the pretty nappies to dry!

I know which thread your refferring too in 3rd tri! it annoyed me and ive not even had the baby or started to use re-usables.

Im planning on spending no more that £150 on a bunch of re-useables and getting flushable liners, Disposables will in the long run cost so much more than that!!! its absurd some people think theyre ''the same'' ...

I have to say i am mostly doing it for the money saving aspect and the softness of them on baby, I am at my mums and dont need to pay washing bills till i move out at around easter/summer next year, And i will use disposables for the first couple of months till shes a bit bigger as i am only getting one size, and cant buy them all outright ii need to buy like one a week or so till i have enough to use.

Cant believe how long disposables take to decompose, its really bad,

I couldn't care less if it cost me a million quid to kit her out in cloth, the thought of disposables sitting in landfill until her great-grandchildrens great-grandchildren are born almost makes me cry a little bit. Actually though, it only cost about £200 all in all, and I went for the fancy pants ones :lol:

Also, as you regular girlies know Olivia has had a bad bout of thrush on her bum (that has come from my nipples, not from the nappies!) and we have been in disposables for the past week or so until she has finished her course of creams. Anyway, her bum is WET every time I take a nappy off, and I'm changing every 2 hours max even though they claim to be 'baby dry'. They fit badly, and I had a poo leak all over her new jeans yesterday. They are crunchy and the papery waistband is rubbing into her little tummy. They are full of chemicals. And the worst thing, in the months i have been cloth nappying at night I have never had a leak and despite the fact that these pampers have a little sleepy nighttime moon type design on the front of the pack, the gel inside actually burst out of the little pouch thing last night and I had to change her at 3am and pick little bits of pee filled silicone stuff out of her bits :cry: They seem to only absorb at the back of the nappy for a girl, and just this 2cmx2cm square gets filled really full and gest raised really high. It's all a bit complicated to explain, but there is my rant on disposies.

BTW that isn't me having a go at anyone who uses disposables, they juat aren't right for us :hugs:
xx

Thanks girls, i'm glad its not just me!! If people chose sposies, I would never criticise them for it, however, its the "excuses" people use to not use cloth annoy me, when they are completely untrue! :)

They seem to only absorb at the back of the nappy for a girl, and just this 2cmx2cm square gets filled really full and gest raised really high.

We had to use a pampers (baby dry size 3) one night on holiday last week as the stupid tumble dryer broke :dohh:

It leaked everywhere, Freya sleeps on her front and there just isn't enough absorbancy there. The little gel thingys burst on her too :(.

I honestly don't know how people cope with having to use them everyday. They must leak all the time. How stupid. I hate them.

Baffles me, too, Vici. I think it's fear of the unknown for some people, and memories of smelly nappies in buckets for others, that puts them off. Then they will cling to any hint of a reason why cloth isn't as environmentally friendly as we believe it is, ie, the things about washing more often, using a dryer, etc. (So far as I am aware, as long as you don't wash over 60C and tumble till bone dry, it *is* better - and over 60C is not recommended for most modern cloth nappies anyway, with their velcro and elastic.)

For me, I'd actually never changed a nappy before my son was born. Strange to say that, at over 35 years old, but it's true. So I had neither positive nor negative experiences of either cloth or disposables. I did my research, like I did on most aspects of parenting/pregnancy, and decided that I didn't feel right contributing to the nappy landfill, and that to make me feel morally ok, I had to use cloth. The comfort aspect for Adam is secondary (but still important). I feel better in myself doing the extra work involved than I would throwing 5 or 6 nappies out a day. It's simple, boils down to my conscience. But not everyone feels that way, even if I can't understand why not!

I honestly think that more people would choose modern cloth nappies if they had experience of them, realised they aren't a chore, they are easy to put on and care for, and a lot more pleasant than disposables. I think the inital cost puts people off, in case they don't get along with them; spending £6+ a week, every week, for years, on disposables you don't see the hit on your bank balance in one go. I'm the sort of person who'd rather spend a lot upfront to have a long-term saving but not everyone *has* the money upfront.

I guess I can see both sides, but I wish some of the naysayers would at least try them.

Watch this:

https://www.gdiapers.com/includes/vid_pop3.php

Environmental costs

It is difficult to compare the environmental costs of reusable and disposable nappies, because both have some environmental impact.
Reusables

• Some reusable nappies are made of cotton, and there is concern about the amount of pesticides and water used in the growing of this staple crop. Using a hemp or bamboo nappy can overcome this problem, or you could use hand-me-downs from a friend or family member.
  • Rinsing and washing nappies releases detergents into the environment, and hot water and energy are consumed in washing and drying.
Reduce the environmental impact of reusables by:

• only flushing nappy liners that are soiled with poo
  • using biodegradable, phosphate-free detergents
  • washing your nappies on a cold water cycle and drying them in the sun
  • buying more nappies initially and washing full loads
  • not using fabric softener
  • purchasing electricity on a green tariff
  • using a front-loading washing machine.

Disposables
Disposable nappies:

• create hundreds of thousands of tonnes of landfill around the world every year
  • use chemicals in their manufacture and disposal
  • can cause fecal pollution on disposal.
Reduce the environmental impact of disposables by:

• flushing poo rather than putting it in the bin
  • using biodegradable nappies, which break down more effectively in landfill.

Research on environmental impacts
One of the most widely quoted surveys assessing the environmental impact of disposables and reusables was done in 2005 by the UK Government Environment Agency. It found that overall no system clearly had a better or worse environmental performance; however, no study has been completed for nappies used in Australia.
source =https://raisingchildren.net.au/articles/choosing_nappies.html/context/353

I honestly don't know how people cope with having to use them everyday. They must leak all the time. How stupid. I hate them.
an unfortunate accident i think

i've worked in day care since end of august and have changed alot of diapers
but never had one that leaked to be honest.
i've had the odd too-much-poo-and-all-the-way-up-their-back thing happening
but that has happened with the kids with cloth nappies too

there is a difference in how tight they seem to be though, the cloth nappies
don't seem to be so tight, but regular diapers, for them to close well it's
almost as if you're squeezing them into it.
so i can imagine, if you use a regular one and close it as if it were a cloth one
it would leak.
it's like i was convinced the cloth nappies were going to leak bc they seemed so lose in comparison.
i think i stalked that kid all afternoon bc i was scared of accidents hahaha

so i can imagine, if you use a regular one and close it as if it were a cloth one
it would leak.
it's like i was convinced the cloth nappies were going to leak bc they seemed so lose in comparison.

:rofl:

Watch this:

Is that what is involved with all reusables, or is that a particularly faffy brand? Don't like the thought of them, are there any videos to explain easier and comfier reusables?

i think you can just throw flushable liners in the toilet i dont think you need to pull it apart like that?? but im no expert. Seemed simple to me tho, just flush, remove liner, wash in machine??

i think you can just throw flushable liners in the toilet i dont think you need to pull it apart like that?? but im no expert. Seemed simple to me tho, just flush, remove liner, wash in machine??

Isn't easy and simple for someone very, very lazy though :D

it would leak.

Mine leaked overnight, not during the day. We have had to use them a handful of times overnight since we switched to cloth and they have leaked every single time. Last week was the first time it actually burst though. I am fine with how tight they need to be done, Freya just wees a lot
overnight and they do not hold enough. When they leak the nappy is ridiculously heavy and full to bursting.

:wacko:

Emma has only had one leak while using her disposables and that was our own fault for putting it on in a weird position. :shrug: I'm not advocating disposables by any means but leak-wise you just gotta find that perfect brand for each individual child. But even with no problems with our disposables I'm still switching to cloth. It's not nearly as fun playing with disposable diapers. :haha:

Watch this:

Is that what is involved with all reusables, or is that a particularly faffy brand? Don't like the thought of them, are there any videos to explain easier and comfier reusables?

That is what is involved with the gDiapers and the reason why I chose not to go with that brand. Other cloth is much easier.

Mine leaked overnight, not during the day. We have had to use them a handful of times overnight since we switched to cloth and they have leaked every single time. Last week was the first time it actually burst though. I am fine with how tight they need to be done, Freya just wees a lot
overnight and they do not hold enough. When they leak the nappy is ridiculously heavy and full to bursting.

:wacko:
maybe you already tried this but something i remember seeing,
have you used a size 4 (you used 3 right?) for the night? i noticed that many kids
wear one size up during the night/morning when they are brought in but
their stash for during the day is a smaller size, never really questionned that
but now that you mention the lots of overnight peeing...
some also come in with special night time pampers, but that might be the
bigger sizes only, not sure as i don't really have to check that out yet hehe

also assuming that Pamper's sizes are the same world wide but i think they
are as our packages are labeled with both kg and lbs. and 3 being the size
after "newborn" :)

other than that... i really hope you soon don't have the diaper issues anymore bc having leaks all the time, that's sooo sucky, all the extra cleaning and changing

Lol, I have never had a leak in the cloth nappies I use, and have used for months now. I did early on, but not since I picked my fave brands and got rid of the rest.

I had size 3 pampers because a friend gave them to me as she didn't use them anymore, if anything they were too big for Freya, the tabs crossed over at the front! They only leaked out the top though, not the legs.

For us, cloth is better on many levels.

well money wise it doesn't make much difference i've been told.
unless you know you'll have more than one child, but the cost in diapers for 1 child
is about the same as the cost of reuseables for 1 child, because the initial investment
is so big (€800 i've been told).

Everything I've read says an average spend on disposables (until potty training around 2.5-4yrs) of £800-£1300 and only £200-£400 on washables.

Yeah you have the cost of an extra load of washing, but I doubt it's going to cost around £400+

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->