Itchy 'down there'.

Eegee

Reaction score
About a month ago I was really itchy - I went to the doctor and he said it was probably thrush and gave me some cream. He said if it didn't improve after a week to go back again. It did improve, briefly, but then started up again - by then I was too busy to get back to the doctor and before long it was Christmas/New Year and I wasn't at home to be able to go.

I've called the surgery today as I've been so itchy these past few days - it's been fairly mild up until now. However, there are no appointments and the receptionist said it's probably thrush so to try the cream again for a couple of days and if it's not improved by Monday, to go to their drop-in clinic first thing.

It hurts more when I use soap down there, but if I avoid it it starts to smell quite unpleasant (but not fishy). I've tried to use a mild soap and very briefly. It's so uncomfortable and I've had little dots of blood from around the very front area because I've been wiping so hard to try and get some relief! Also there are little bits of rolled up stuff that look a little bit like flesh, but presumably aren't. Would that suggest thrush? The one time I was almost certain it was was when I used the loo in M&S - they have very bright lights and cheap toilet roll, so I could see straight away that it fitted the description of thrush, but this was almost a month ago too and since then it's not been so clear as the toilet roll I usually use is quite absorbent.

Sorry for going on but I'm just a bit worried! My Mum did say she had thrush for about 7 months when pregnant so I know there's a good chance it is just that, but I'm worried about using the cream when the doctor hasn't told me to this time. Also my partner's mum suggested trying Vagisil - do you think it will help? What would you do?

Thanks!

Sounds exactly like thrush! I get it at least once a month and it is nasty. Those little bits of flesh will most likely be little bits of toilet paper from wiping so hard.
I find the best relief is to sit in a shallow warm bath and wash using only water as any soap can irritate it. Also I know its hard but try not to wipe hard to get relief as this will make it worse. Just wash regularly with water, make sure you let all the bits of toilet paper out. Also wearing loose cotton pants helps (I usually wear a pair of hubbys boxers if I'm going to bed or just in The house) and try your cream again if you've still got some left. Although I find when its that had to the point its bleeding the cream just burns.
I'm not sure if vagisil will help as I've never used it, let me know how it goes if you do!

Actually most doctors and other experts will tell you not to use soap down there. That a water wash is enough as the body has it's own ways to keep things clean in that area. I rarely use soap, when I do I use my daughters baby soap, as it's the mildest I know of. Anytime I use anything with perfume I get either bacterial vaginosis or a yeast infection. I get them chronically so I've learned a lot about them. If you are pretty sure it's thrush eat some yogurt, if you can stomach it. Here in the states we have probiotic pills that help balance the flora. Also there are a lot of foods that help with that as well.

Does sound like thrush but if it is not improving with treatment I would go back to the doctors and ask for a swab (if they offer this during pregnancy A friend recently had what she thinks did start at just thrush. She spent months to and from the doctors with no improvement she had a swab and it was revealed she had 4 different infections and is now on 2 very strong antibiotics to clear it up....

Joeyzgirl knows what she's talking about. Probiotics and getting rid of sugar from your diet will control thrush and stop the itching. You're 'good' gut bacteria is under attack by 'bad' gut bacteria caused from either antibiotics or sugar in our diets. It happens to many pregnant women because your new high levels of progesterone knock your balance out. Best thing to do is get that cream your doctor has and use probiotics asap. Eating yoghurt is good too but they usually only contain 1-2 types of bacteria. It'll help prevent thrush & uti's but oversll, probiotics, especially the kind you have to refrigerate will have 4-8x more than yoghurt, you'll notice a difference within a day or two.

I agree with probiitics and taking it easy on sugar, too. I got 6 yeast infections with my second baby. ugh. They just kept coming. I started probiotics and cleansing the area with baking soda and water, NO soap, and they finally stopped coming. Also, I craved gummi bears throughout that pregnancy and had to cut them out. So I do these things as a precaution during this pregnancy and no thrushthis time.

Also, if you scratch the area, it will cut right into that sensitive skin and cause burning and, worse, as it heals, it will itch more! I use Vagisil or cold water to stop any itches now (I alwsys itch during pregnancies with no problems; it is hormonal for me) so I don't make the problem worse.

Thanks for your responses. I will not use soap any more! I've put on some of the cream that I had and will see if that helps at all. It didn't work very quickly last time so I'm not hopeful but it's better than nothing. I'm half tempted to smother myself in Sudocrem haha :) I will have a look at probiotics and Vagisil tomorrow and will make sure I go to the doctor on Monday. I'm just worried in case it's BV but I know the results will take about a week anyway so there's no point fretting too much. Thanks again for all the advice! :)

ETA: I don't have a bath unfortunately and I will try to cut out sugar as much as possible. I have tons of chocolate from Christmas but I will try to resist it - if it helps it's definitely worth it! It can wait in the cupboard for now ;)

I get this too in pregnancy, your safe to use creams and pessaries, the pessaries work best for me. Oral tablets are not allowed if pregnant, I no how your feeling its really unpleasant!! Hope it clears for you soon xx

Milk of magnesia. It works for sure for oral thrush. Check out earthclinic.com and search thrush and you'll see milk of magnesia remedy. To prevent, probiotics are great but get a decent brand. You don't have to spend the most to get the best quality just do your research. I use complete probiotics by Dr Mercola. And yes stay away from sugar as much as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->