It's all getting very real...

mistyscott

Reaction score
Had the home visit from the midwife today to go through the home birth stuff....felt so weird talking about MY labour after reading so many other people's stories!
The pool (hired BPIB) is being delivered tomorrow and we need to get all the other bits this weekend. Can't quite believe it.

The midwife said I'll have to get out to deliver the placenta, so we'll need a big plastic sheet and some cotton sheets/blankets.
I was thinking that shower curtains would do? and then buy some blankets from a charity shop to go over the top? Will that work?
Will I want cushions to lean on - or will I not give a rat's arse by that point?! :haha:

I'm gonna have a baby! :baby: still doesn't seem real though...

no youll want to be comfy! do you have carpets or laminate/floor boards? we have laminate so im going to buy plastic sheets and dust sheets from b&q and put them onto a yoga mat with a softer old sheet of ours ontop of the dust sheet, lol.

You don't have to get out to deliver the placenta. She may PREFER you out as it makes her life easier but even in hospitals and birth centres you don't HAVE to get out. Most of my clients don't want to get out for the third stage so they don't have to interrupt that crucial first hours skin to skin.

plus im sure its nicer for the baby to remain in water for a while since theyve been in water for all their life thus far!

I always tell clients to put a dula duvet under the pool incase it deflates and especially on laminate. Most women spend at least some time in the pool kneeling and you try kneeling for any length of time on a hard surface! Fortunately the pool floors have never gone down but a little extra padding is better than potentially none!

Hmm, I wondered about the placenta delivery thing but my mw was adamant I have to get out so they can monitor the blood loss?

Duvet under the pool is a good idea - we have wooden floorboards. I've also got a yoga mat so will put that to good use (for the first time in years!)

Any other tips are welcome :)

The last MW I talked about this too (NHS MW) said so long as you can still see mums legs in the water, loss is fine. It's your choice at the end of the day and if they think the loss is more than average then they will say so. If you want to stay in then yu can always say I'd prefer to stay here with my baby but I am happy to get out if the loss is concerning you. They're not likely to lie.....

Ugh. "Have to" again. :(

Now, I may "have to" get out for my third stage next time, because I would like to encapsulate the placenta.... but it's still my call!

Since when couldn't you have your third stage in water when you're encapsulating? That's a new on me!! The client I'm on for now is having a smoothie, tincture and encapsulating and planning on staying in....:huh:

i heard u could deliver it into a bucket or the toilet lol

I delivered my placenta in the pool with my last home birth, it wasn't even mentioned that I should get out :shrug: Think your MW is being over-zealous :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->