• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

it's all official - saying "I do" on 20th July 2013 ** venue pics page 59 **

I've got 2 more wedding magazines today, but noticed they both had a couple of sections on diy things.

I'd love to do my own flowers and favours, and a lot more too, so am going to see what ideas I can get.

Chris is getting excited :happydance: He voluntarily looked at suits earlier and looked into cravat / tie colours :D

You could definitely do your own flowers- check ebay and search floral supplies, loads of stuff and demo vids on there!

Invites are so cute too btw! :flower:

Youtube has lots of DIY videos that take you step by step! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the tips ladies, very much appreciated :thumbup:

Oh yay for fiance getting excited about the wedding too :)

I did my own favours for the wedding and most of the flowers. I trained as a florist, many moons ago, when I took a year out of teaching. I did the table decorations and floral displays and got the florist to do the bouquet and button holes. I could have done mine but didn't want the stress the day before the wedding. As we were decorating the venue ourselves I knew time would be tight.

I didn't mind doing bits myself. It saved us money so we could afford a honeymoon and I had lots of time to get things done :)

We've been talking and we've decided that we don't want the wedding breakfast.

We've got people travelling from Cheshire and Stoke on Trent, we want them to have plenty of time to arrive at the venue and we don't want any of them to feel rushed, which would make me panic about accidents etc. There's going to be young children there, and a sit down meal is going to be awkward. Plus it means my mum can have a nap before travelling to the venue, which would hopefully mean she would be more inclined to stay a bit later during the evening do :)

So I'm going to get in touch with the venue tomorrow and see what they say, I'm a bit nervous that they're going to say that we HAVE to have the wedding breakfast and get really snotty with us :huh: :blush:

A wedding breakfast doesn't have to be a sit down meal chick - you can have it buffet style and keep it really informal if you want (even standing so no-one can sit down!). Then people can come and go with regards to eating. Your venue should be cool with that - after all, you are the customer and they want your business. If you say you don't want any food at all then they would be more likely to say no as a lot of their business comes from the food and alcohol (after the venue hire). Plus, I'm sure your guests would appreciate something to eat depending on what time you get married. I don't think I have ever been to a wedding without food of some sort. Not sure if that's what you wanted to hear, but just thought I would share with you.
xxx

We're defo having a buffet at the evening do hun :thumbup: We were thinking of paying extra for the buffet, like adding some extra choices, like beetroot salad and other things that they offer, rather than [aying £1500 for a wedding breakfast :D

Phew, I thought your guests would have really rumbly tummies! :dohh: The best way to get round that then is to have a late wedding - say 4pm or something. I got married at 2pm and did the whole breakfast so I reckon you'd need to do it later than 2pm so guests have something to eat at home/before the wedding starts. And a later wedding gives you more time to get ready - bonus!
xxx

:saywhat:

Is it tradition over there to serve breakfast ALONG with dinner? :shock: Holy heck, that would get expensive. There's no way I could afford to feed everyone two meals. Yikes!

I *think* the wedding "breakfast" is the sit down meal ;) I'd never heard it called that before either, I'd always called it "the meal" :haha:

We're getting married early (11.30am as that's the latest time our room at the registry office does weddings) so we're having the whole 3 course sit down meal at around 2ish and then the evening buffet served around 8.30pm. We werent going to bother with a meal either but then we thought that alot of our daytime guests are coming from all over the country and to begin with, we thought they'd be travelling up the morning of the wedding so would be starving come lunch time! Turns out that they're all coming down the day before and staying at the hotel for the Friday night too, so it wouldnt have been too much of an issue after all!

You ladies and your different words for things. :haha:

Okay, that makes more sense. Although why call it breakfast when its not breakfast? :rofl: For the longest time I had no idea that when people said "tea", they meant dinner. I thought they were actually having a cup of tea. Then I'd see all these "So what's everyone having for tea?" threads, and I remember thinking to myself that you guys took a cup of tea rather seriously! :rofl: :blush:

Lol ... I never get why they call it the wedding breakfast either :rofl:

I could understand if it was served in the morning and consisted of cornflakes, eggs and bacon :haha:

Something like a hog roast can be cheaper than a sit down meal, then have a cold buffet in the evening but the idea of a late wedding and an evening buffet would be the most cost effective for sure.

Good luck with whatever you decide :hugs:

I think a later wedding is going to be the best idea all round, it works out better for us cost wise, mum gets to rest and doesn't have to get up early, I have more time to get ready, people have time to travel over if they want to travel over on the actual day. I think it's just a long list of positives for us getting married later on in the day.

:happydance:

I've been having a think of what one song I could use to honour my dad's memory and there's this one called Hoppipolla by Icelandic band Sigur Ros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkP_NaMsrMM

Icelandic Lyrics

Lyrics to Hoppípolla :
Brosandi
Hendumst í hringi
Höldumst í hendur
Allur heimurinn óskýr
Nema þú stendur

Rennblautur
Allur rennvotur
Engin gúmmístígvél
Hlaupandi inn í okkur
Vill springa út úr skel

Vindurinn
Og útilykt af hárinu þínu
Eg lamdi eins fast og ég get
Með nefinu mínu

Hoppípolla
I engum stígvélum
Allur rennvotur (rennblautur)
I engum stígvélum

Og ég fæ blóðnasir
En ég stend alltaf upp
(Hopelandic)

Og ég fæ blóðnasir
Og ég stend alltaf upp
(Hopelandic)

ENGLISH TRANSLATION

Jumpin' Puddles

Smiling
Spinning 'round and 'round
Holding hands
The whole world a blur
But you are standing

Soaked
Completely drenched
No rubber boots
Running in us
Want to erupt from a shell

Wind in
Aand outdoor smell of your hair
I hit as fast as I could
With my nose

Hopping into puddles
Completely drenched
Soaked
With no boots on

And I get nosebleed
But I always get up
(Hopelandic)

And I get nosebleed
But I always get up
(Hopelandic)
Brosandi
Hendumst í hringi
Höldumst í hendur
Allur heimurinn óskýr
Nema þú stendur

Rennblautur
Allur rennvotur
Engin gúmmístígvél
Hlaupandi inn í okkur
Vill springa út úr skel

Vindurinn
Og útilykt af hárinu þínu
Eg lamdi eins fast og ég get
Með nefinu mínu

Hoppípolla
I engum stígvélum
Allur rennvotur (rennblautur)
I engum stígvélum

Og ég fæ blóðnasir
En ég stend alltaf upp
(Hopelandic)

Og ég fæ blóðnasir
Og ég stend alltaf upp
(Hopelandic)

English Version

Jumpin' Puddles

Smiling
Spinning 'round and 'round
Holding hands
The whole world a blur
But you are standing

Soaked
Completely drenched
No rubber boots
Running in us
Want to erupt from a shell

Wind in
Aand outdoor smell of your hair
I hit as fast as I could
With my nose

Hopping into puddles
Completely drenched
Soaked
With no boots on

And I get nosebleed
But I always get up
(Hopelandic)

And I get nosebleed
But I always get up
(Hopelandic)

The only thing I'm worried about is that we did play it at Dad's funeral, but it was his favourite song, and it sounds amazing. I want to find a way to include it somehow. Any ideas?

Could you maybe do something like start your first dance with it, but then blend it into the song you want for your first dance?

You want to use it in such a way that it makes you think about your dad and smile, not make you feel sad xx

I don't think it's morbid, unless you think it will make you cry like a babe. If that's the case then I would find some other way to honour your dad during your day. A toast, a photo of him somewhere on the top table, his favourite flower in your bouquet, something like that :hugs:

What I might do is have it as what's meant to be the father daughter dance, but have a back up song just in case.

Also going to put a photo or poem in the order of service just to mention that he might be gone, but he's definitely not forgotten.

And this little cutie is going to be one my flower girls :cloud9:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd9C39Zv-4w

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"