It's time for plan B

Redclaire

A mammy at last!!
Reaction score
I've been off the site for a month!
I tried the complete natural route this month, no BBT, no OPK, just every other day or more DTD, no counting days (as much as my brain will allow) and today about the day before i'm due AF i got a BFN and all the signs of the witch arriving soon.
So why did i do all this (or nothing!)
Well i've tried everything else for 11months! Sick of hearing those words...'just relax'!! FFS!!!
So i've done that now too....enough!
Plan B in operation!!
I am now all booked in for IUI cycle on 6th May...giving one more month for natural cos i promised himself.
I'm going to do all the temps and opk again this onth cos i think it will help time the IUI cucle.
I'm thinking of doing just 2 IUI then doing IVF if needed cos what i've seen about IUI i'm thinking its not raising the odds of BFP that much...plus the expense...IUI in ireland costs the guts of €1000 per cycle, IVF €4500 ish but better success. I've got €10k at a push...
so any thoughts ladies...shall i push for stronger IUI drugs or go with clomid first??
All our tests all good, his SA is excellent...at this rate i may need to bottle some and sell it on ebay to pay for our treatment!! kidding...at the mo!!:haha:
my tubes, bloods, amh, all top class.
cheesed off but determined to have our baby!!!!:growlmad::kiss::cloud9:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Plan B! It gives you knowledge that you are doing something to move things along and it's good for you to have a plan; maybe even take away a ton of stress. My wish is for you not to have to use it! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers, Red. I sprinkle you with bucket loads of baby dust and hope you get your BFP before May! :hugs:

I've been off the site for a month!
I tried the complete natural route this month, no BBT, no OPK, just every other day or more DTD, no counting days (as much as my brain will allow) and today about the day before i'm due AF i got a BFN and all the signs of the witch arriving soon.
So why did i do all this (or nothing!)
Well i've tried everything else for 11months! Sick of hearing those words...'just relax'!! FFS!!!
So i've done that now too....enough!
Plan B in operation!!
I am now all booked in for IUI cycle on 6th May...giving one more month for natural cos i promised himself.
I'm going to do all the temps and opk again this onth cos i think it will help time the IUI cucle.
I'm thinking of doing just 2 IUI then doing IVF if needed cos what i've seen about IUI i'm thinking its not raising the odds of BFP that much...plus the expense...IUI in ireland costs the guts of €1000 per cycle, IVF €4500 ish but better success. I've got €10k at a push...
so any thoughts ladies...shall i push for stronger IUI drugs or go with clomid first??
All our tests all good, his SA is excellent...at this rate i may need to bottle some and sell it on ebay to pay for our treatment!! kidding...at the mo!!:haha:
my tubes, bloods, amh, all top class.
cheesed off but determined to have our baby!!!!:growlmad::kiss::cloud9:

Hey Red, go girl! Been followin how you've been gettin on, us irish have to stick together. Do exactly what you are doing. Fx for you. Great to hear the spermies are good. All will come good for you both I hope.
No idea where we're going wrong. Few steps behind you & waiting for FS apt up north. Trying acupunct while waiting. Had the blues today, but generally tryin to keep good spirits about it all. xx

A 12 mo go is nothing to sneeze at...I do not know how old you are, but I am going to be 39 soon...and given what I have read about IUI and IVF...I would go directly for the IVF...I assume you're younger...I always think it's great to have a plan B. GL!

Hey Red, go girl! Been followin how you've been gettin on, us irish have to stick together. Do exactly what you are doing. Fx for you. Great to hear the spermies are good. All will come good for you both I hope.
No idea where we're going wrong. Few steps behind you & waiting for FS apt up north. Trying acupunct while waiting. Had the blues today, but generally tryin to keep good spirits about it all. xx

hey!!
how come you're going up North? less waiting , gepgraphy or just cheaper???
thanks for the good thoughts!
I'm alot more accepting of the situation this last week...very down last month, it's hard to keep the chin up but i have the love and support of a fab bloke and he cheers me up everyday!:hugs:

A 12 mo go is nothing to sneeze at...I do not know how old you are, but I am going to be 39 soon...and given what I have read about IUI and IVF...I would go directly for the IVF...I assume you're younger...I always think it's great to have a plan B. GL!
hey idigo,
i'm 36 and a bit, himself is 43.
I've read whatever i can get my hands on about IUI and i'm not that convinced about it either. But i reckon we can do 2 cycles of IUI then i'm defo moving on to IVF. I know how invasive IVF is, my sister had it 3 times but she has fab twins now who are nearly 10. i finally gave in and told her i was in the same boat she was ...never wanted to, wanted just to announce 'hey guess what? i'm up the duff!!' :nope:
looks like we'll have to do alot more than :sex: to have our bundle of joy!!

Its really too bad that they can't figure out what the actual problem is so they can target the treatment more specifically. Did you have a post-coital test done to check that your mucus is not hostile to his sperm? (if so IUI sounds like it would be an excellent solution)

Trying a few rounds of IUI before IVF definitely sounds like a sensible plan! Does your doctor have advice on how to prepare for the IUI? I would definitely think they would want to use OPK and probably ultrasound to make sure the timing is perfect. I would also think your doctor would be able to recommend whether or not clomid in conjunction with the IUI is a good idea or not.

Its really too bad that they can't figure out what the actual problem is so they can target the treatment more specifically. Did you have a post-coital test done to check that your mucus is not hostile to his sperm? (if so IUI sounds like it would be an excellent solution)

Trying a few rounds of IUI before IVF definitely sounds like a sensible plan! Does your doctor have advice on how to prepare for the IUI? I would definitely think they would want to use OPK and probably ultrasound to make sure the timing is perfect. I would also think your doctor would be able to recommend whether or not clomid in conjunction with the IUI is a good idea or not.
yup i'll be on either oral or injectables and a few scans too to pinpoint ovulation, tho i'm as regular as clockwork, ov day 15. They tend not to do the post-coital here in ireland cos its unreliable they just opt for iui. I've done everything natural (water +++, grapefruit juice, EPO)to improve them cm but i don't ever get much so i'd say that could be a factor.:dohh:

FX that the IUI will do the trick on the first try! But now that you have it booked Murphy's law may wind you up pg beforehand :)

:dust:

hey!!
how come you're going up North? less waiting , gepgraphy or just cheaper???
thanks for the good thoughts!
I'm alot more accepting of the situation this last week...very down last month, it's hard to keep the chin up but i have the love and support of a fab bloke and he cheers me up everyday!:hugs:

Hi there, ah just ended up here. Wait for FS is months tho! I'm also regular and not sure where we are going wrong. If FS, when eventually we get there, offers clomid will try that next then take it frm there. OH still to have SA & hopefully he'll do that soon.

Sorry doing this frm ph and posted last message before saying that Im really hoping IUI wrks for you and you get your bfp very soon xx

hey ladies!
thanks all for all the good wishes and i'd love that old Murphy's law to kick in anytime soon!! But i have my head and heart prepared now for the IUI. I'm actually feeling more upbeat about the whole thing and it's defo taken the pressure off this month cos preparing for the next cycle with the IUI. A couple of days now til this month's OV and we are doing all the BD, preseed, grapefruit juice, EPO, lots of water, pillows under bum...exhausting normally but laughing about it all this month:dohh::wacko::haha:

Got our bloods done today (6 stabs for me i've got crap veins!!), last step before starting IUI next friday! Can't believe it's come to this ...but... upbeat!
Hopefully IUI will do the job....bypassing the EWCM problem...i never really get any just watery for a day tops:growlmad:!
I'm 7dpo now but not really even thinking about it cos all set for next cycle.

So question... have any of you ladies heard of IUI actually working or do most still end up going the whole hog on to IVF????

I don't have any statistics to share, but I wanted to wish you much luck with the IUI. :hugs:

Got our bloods done today (6 stabs for me i've got crap veins!!), last step before starting IUI next friday! Can't believe it's come to this ...but... upbeat!
Hopefully IUI will do the job....bypassing the EWCM problem...i never really get any just watery for a day tops:growlmad:!

So question... have any of you ladies heard of IUI actually working or do most still end up going the whole hog on to IVF????

I've read a couple of posts of IUI working but I think they were over on the TCOYF board. So it definitely can work! Good to see that you are feeling upbeat about it, I think it's a positive step to take. FX'd for you!

hey redclaire, I will be stalking you for the next little while as you have a similar plan to me. I just saw my FS today after a polyp removal last month and she wants me to start clomid next cycle, with ovulation monitoring through bloods and ultrasound at the same time. then if that doesnt work for a few tries then its IUI. to me, because I am talking clomid next month I might just do one month of that and go straight to IUI....its $350 here so seems more reasonable than where you are. I wondered about how effective it was, as hubby has super sperm so whats the point...but she said the combination of the clomid and the washed sperm really works well. Im nervous about IVF so I think I would try IUI for a while before IVF but I can see your reasoning.
I just ovulated and am praying it just happens this month naturally so I dont have to do anything but I doubt it will. good luck next friday, please come and update so we can all follow your journey :hugs:

hey idigo,
i'm 36 and a bit, himself is 43.
I've read whatever i can get my hands on about IUI and i'm not that convinced about it either. But i reckon we can do 2 cycles of IUI then i'm defo moving on to IVF. I know how invasive IVF is, my sister had it 3 times but she has fab twins now who are nearly 10. i finally gave in and told her i was in the same boat she was ...never wanted to, wanted just to announce 'hey guess what? i'm up the duff!!' :nope:
looks like we'll have to do alot more than :sex: to have our bundle of joy!!

Hi

I'm 36 as well and our tests all came back great as well :) However our FS told us to skip IUI because we'd have a 5% chance of it working and it was really a waste of money. She said that IUI is great if there's a known problem:shrug: with IVF they can control the cycle and the success rate is much higher :) Hope this helps and best of luck with whatever you decide to do :):hugs:

yep,
i hear the point about it not being as effective as IVF.
I'm going to go for 2 cycles iui then on to ivf. Between cost and brain melt i can't keep head butting a brick wall!! I want a bambino!! rant over:flower::thumbup::haha:

I think it really depends on what the problem is why you aren't conceiving. I've read in some cases IUI can be more effective and in some cases IVF can. If the problem is your cervical mucus, or a subfertile male factor that can be helped by sperm washing, then IUI sounds like a great bet! Good luck and FX it goes well. However because IUI is just basically bypassing the cervix and shooting sperm into the unknown, (although usually washed and improved sperm) you have about the same odds of conceiving in any ONE IUI cycle as the natural pregnancy odds for a fertile couple - 25% at most?? IVF already you are starting with the embryos in a dish, but then there is the fact that the injected embryos are much less likely to implant than ones conceived in the tubes. For me, I hope I don't have to do IVF because I think I would have an ethical quandary about what to do with the leftover embryos.

So it may take 4-5 IUI cycles for it to work, but FX for you that the odds work on the first try for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->