IUD

LeaArr

Just him and me.
Reaction score
One of my friends is thinking about getting an IUD. She just had a few questions and I was hoping some of you may be able to help me/her out.

Her BF is concerned about the chance of failure. They are really not ready for any little "surprises"
She is also concerned about side effects i.e. spotting, pain. Also, how does it effect periods? Does it change flow? cramps? etc. Any advise is appreciated.

The IUD is extremely effective, as long as it is placed properly. over 99% effective, like most birth control - but I read somewhere it may be a little more effective than other types.

I have the Mirena IUD. It is recommended for those that have already had children - some doctors will still let one with out children receive it though. I heard it is much more painful to place when you haven't already had a vaginal birth.

Many women lose their period while having the IUD because it slows ovulation and the egg doesn't mature. I on the other hand have had a fairly regular 28 to 31 day cycle for over a year with it in. Much lighter than prior to having it in though.

I have no side affects other than 5-10 pounds that refuse to leave my body.

They re very safe. Even IUD that arent hormonal but from copper are that effective that they can be used for morning after prevention too.
I have got a frameless copper one "gynefix"which also irritates the sides less . :). My periods havent increased either. :)

I have the Mirena IUD as well. It is over 99% effective but the benefit of that vs say the pill is that the pill is only that effective with perfect use...the IUD can only be used perfectly because there is no real upkeep. The dr places it in the office and they check it so you know it's in place right.

I got mine in Nov 07...I did bleed for about 3mo on and off, more on than off. Then after that, I was breastfeeding and I had no period until Dec 08. Then I had one from Dec-April (he cut back alot on nursing in Dec so I think that's why it showed back up, messed with hormones) But since April I haven't had a real period just some spotting, like so light I don't even use anything.

I've had no cramps since having it put in, like a day or 2 after I was a bit crampy but really not bad, but that's it. I absolutely love mine, it's great for me, I have 3 kids and can barely remember to feed myself much less remember a pill lol. We don't have to use anything else, so it's great

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->