IUGR and freaking out

GingerPanda

1DD LTTCRPL + NTNP#2
Reaction score
I'll be 34 weeks tomorrow.

Baby measured perfectly at 20 weeks (well, about 5 days behind, but she'd measured about that far behind since the very beginning, so we weren't worried about it). She was stubborn, though, and they couldn't get good pictures of her heart, so they scheduled another ultrasound at 24 weeks.

So at 24 weeks we got to the scan and found she had gone from the 46th percentile to the 42nd. Still couldn't get good pictures of her heart. (One of my sisters had a congenital heart defect, so we were paying special attention to her heart.) Still weren't worried about her size.

Scan around 27 weeks, her heart was perfectly fine. But she'd dropped to the 38th percentile. They started to get worried about her size, and ordered more scan. Scan around 30 weeks, she was about the 32nd percentile.

Today, 33w6d, she was less than the 10th percentile and diagnosed with IUGR. Just like that! That fast! Like... in one month she goes from 32nd to less than 10?!

The ultrasound tech said the only thing she's measuring on dates for is her head. Her belly is what's really dragging her percentile down, apparently it is very tiny.

They have done all kinds of doppler studies, and said her blood flow from the placenta and umbilical cord are perfect. They did a non-stress test today, and we passed it with flying colors.

What could be causing this? What sort of growth restriction only happens in the baby's tummy and leaves her head measurement totally normal? Her femur measurements are measuring behind too. I think they said her belly's measuring 28 weeks, and her femur is measuring about 29.

I'm so confused. Other than the small measurements, everything seems to be totally perfect!

Did some research. Apparently it's called asymmetrical IUGR. I firmly believe something has gone wrong with my placenta, and kiddo is malnourished. Will have to see what the doctor thinks tomorrow, as the nurse was not able to read today's ultrasound.

my 6th baby had iugr her tummy was behind because all the goodness was going to her brain ect that's why the head is bigger she made it to 38 weeks and was on the 5th percentile when born i was induced because of it
when i was induced my placenta was only half there the rest had gone or not formed correctly
she was fine and is 2 now still on the small side but perfectly healthy
all Doppler and tests where normal gl xxx

Thank you. If you don't mind me asking, how sharp was the decline in her growth percentile? I'm hoping they'll let me do bed rest and let her bake longer, but I'm afraid they won't since she went from 32nd to less than 10th percentile in just one month.

it was fine at 20 weeks then a scan at 32 weeks she was on about 12 then 34 weeks 10 36 weeks 7 and 38 weeks 5 they will induce you if there is any doubt so just be prepared or they may just scan you every week till 37 ect i am sure you and lo will be fine hugs xxx

my eldest was born on the 6th centile line, when we saw my midwife at 34 weeks we told her my bump hadn't grown in a month. my fundel height was 29cm, had a scan at 35 weeks which showed my placenta had started to fail, he wasn't getting enough blood flow, I was then sent to see a consultant 2 days later and then induced 5 days after that at 36+4. he weighted 4lbs 6oz, his head was a little big for his body but not that it was very obvious.
if they get worried they will offer you induction, or the may offer you extra scans until baby is here.

They're keeping a pretty close eye on me.

The hospital will be calling me early this coming week to schedule an appointment for a doppler study and a biophysical profile. We'll take a look at what those say and go from there.

I just had a girl friend that went through the same thing and they were very very worried about her babies weight. They did a C-section and baby came out 5lbs 9oz, and they were expect her to be under 4lbs.

I had two that were IUGR in the end of my pg's. My first was because of a two ventricle umbilical cord, that they didn't see. Then again I only had like two scans with him, and the last one was to say they were sure he had IUGR and would be induced just before my due date. He is a very healthy 13 yr old boy!!! Then my last baby was starting to go from 90th percentile and dropped in the last two weeks to 75th, and even faster drop in the week he was late. They didn't think much of it as he was still healthy. Just stopped growing. He too was healthy.

I know my experiences aren't nearly the same, but I did want you to know that it doesn't always means something will be wrong with baby. :hug: This isn't going to be easy, as every mother worries intensely with their babies and it just doesn't stop once they are out of our tummies. I know you are a strong women, and each day she is able to stay in a little bit longer is a blessing. All the best to you and your little family. I will be stalking too :winkwink:

Thanks, AFTG.

We're having the testing done today. We'll meet with the doctor to discuss the results tomorrow afternoon, but I'm sure I'll hear something before then if something is super wrong.

You and Luci are in my thoughts. It sounds like the doctors are paying very close attention to you.

One thing that I've learned on my research into preemies and twins during this pregnancy is that in medical opinion maturity is far more important than actual size. Babies with IUGR do generally continue maturing even though their growth is not ideal, for example a 4lb 36 weeker is always better off than a 4lb 32 weeker.

I'm hoping they let her cook for a bit longer, but even if they have to take her out and fatten her up you have come so very far and your strength will get your family through this.

I was very close to being diagnosed as iugr my scan at 20 weeks everything was great perfect for dates. My 28 weeks scan babys head was good babys belly was a little smaller but his femur was 2 weeks behind he was on the 25th percentile. Next scan at 32 weeks he had dropped Down to the 5th percentile his head was slightly large but tummy and femur were 3 weeks behind. I was told they wanted to get me to 37 weeks and to have another scan in 2 weeks. I had a doppler scan at that one and everything was perfect. My next scan was at 32 weeks he had actually gone up to the 10th percentile his head was still bigger and belly had caught up a little but femur still short. Doppler again was fine. I was booked for another scan at 36 weeks he was still on the 10th percentile but as he was following it now I was given the all clear to carry on. I made it to 40+3 before I had to be induced as I have high BP and it had spiked was also on blood pressure tablets which can cause small babies. Well my lad was born at 8lb dead on and he's now nearly 3 months and nearly out of his 3-6 month baby grows as his toes are at the end because of his long legs! Just thought I would post my story for you sorry it's long! Xx

My baby went from measuring perfect at 28 weeks to below the 10th percentile in everything but her head at 32 weeks.

Thanks, everyone!

I'm in the waiting room at the hospital now. They're having a tech issue with the ultrasound machines. *sigh*

I was given an ultrasound to keep an eye on the placenta and blood flow and put on the heart rate monitor twice a week every week. She was born by EMCS at 38 weeks exactly weighing 4lb 4oz and perfectly healthy.

She's smaller than we thought.

Her head and brain are perfect, 49.6 percentile. Femurs are 7.5%. Everything else is less than 3%.

Blood flow through her umbilical cord appears normal. There's a weird spot on her placenta. That's all we know until we talk to the doctor.

She's still breech, and still the most stubborn child in all the land.. Tests should have taken 20 minutes, but she fought the ultrasound tech for an hour. Lol

Well I hope that measurements were off a bit because of her moving around too much. I also hope she gets to bake a little bit longer.

I doubt they were off by much. They were almost exactly the same measurements a different tech on a different machine got last Thursday.

But she would be very likely to survive and do well even if she was born today. So that's good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->