IUGR and freaking out

Mine is a totally different situation but thought it could help a little. DD was born at the top of the weight chart but had problems putting on weight. She rapidly dropped on the weight chart until under 3%. At first her length managed to stay on the normal side but it fell behind too. Her head remained normal sized so she was a retty skinny looking with a big head. Her legs have always been on the shorter side, but I think that is just normal for her, her dad has short legs too. Eventually her problems were resolved and she piled on weight and shot up in height too. She is now large for her age at 2 years. In her case her body knew the head was the part that needed to grow the most and the rest could catch up later.

Mine is a totally different situation but thought it could help a little. DD was born at the top of the weight chart but had problems putting on weight. She rapidly dropped on the weight chart until under 3%. At first her length managed to stay on the normal side but it fell behind too. Her head remained normal sized so she was a retty skinny looking with a big head. Her legs have always been on the shorter side, but I think that is just normal for her, her dad has short legs too. Eventually her problems were resolved and she piled on weight and shot up in height too. She is now large for her age at 2 years. In her case her body knew the head was the part that needed to grow the most and the rest could catch up later.

Yes, it is the "head sparing theory". The body puts the most resources into preserving the head and brain, so everything else sort of falls behind. It's why my little girl's head and brain are pretty much bang-on perfect, but everything else is sooooo tiny.

I'm glad your girl is thriving again!

Thanks, I'd add that although the weight part was a worry and the food allergies that turned out to be causing it she was always healthy otherwise.She was ahead with lots of milestones like rolling over and speech so it didnt do her any harm in the end.

Pixie fell off the charts completely. Unless your placenta is failing, there's no reason she'd need taken out soon. I kept Pixie inside with twice weekly monitoring for 6 weeks before my placenta started failing to the point it wasn't safe.

We're meeting with the doctor in about an hour. I'm actually going to start getting ready to go now.

I will update with what the doctor says about our test results from yesterday.

All her test results came back perfect, so her case of IUGR is unexplained. We're doing BPPs and NSTs once a week on different days, and Doppler studies every two weeks until she's born. Had an NST today, and she passed it.

Doctor says she's allowed to come anytime after 37 weeks! I'm 35 weeks today. :)

Thank god! So pleased everything is going great xxxx only two weeks or so then xx how are you feeling about everything ?!

Awe that's great news she is doing so well. And yay for getting to see her sooner. 37 weeks is term!! Woot woot!

They won't induce me unless she goes in distress, but they won't try to stop labor if I start at 37 weeks. :)

Glad things are okay, thanks for the update.

Im in the same boat,my 1st had iugr, induced at 38w, now Im 29w and hes measuring way behind, just started weekly doppler, growth scan and nst!

Im in the same boat,my 1st had iugr, induced at 38w, now Im 29w and hes measuring way behind, just started weekly doppler, growth scan and nst!

Good luck with your monitoring! I'm already sick of it, but will do anything for this kid. :)

Got her some preemie clothes today! They're SO TINY!

https://s29.postimg.org/991p9cxbb/WP_20150830_11_22_18_Pro.jpg

https://s24.postimg.org/97t6pb4o5/WP_20150830_11_21_46_Pro.jpg

awww those clothes are gorgeous.

we didnt know our little guy was IUGR until he was born. I had multiple scans during my pregnancy where i was told he was going to be on the big size (8/9lb) and at my last scan at 38 weeks they said he was 7lb 2oz. His femur always measured a few weeks behind the rest of his body. I was induced at 40+5 and he arrived the next day weighing in at 5lb 15oz. His head was normal size so we nicknamed him turtle because he had a lot of loose skin too so along with his big head looked like a turtle lol.

hes still small now at 5 (6 in dec) and he is in 2-3 year clothing (trousers need belts) and weights 15.1kg. he had trouble gaining weight from birth.. he was born on the 2nd centile and dropped off the chart, had to be put on special double calorie milk which didnt help much but he stopped dropping further :) xx

My 1st is like that too, he'll be 4 in Jan but yesterday had 6-9 month shorts on and is usually in 12-18 lol. His nursery uniform is the smallest they had at 3-4 and hugeee!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->