IUI, ICSI or IVF

ababytogether

Reaction score
Hi

Hoping someone on here will be able to help me before I go for my first initial appointment in 2 weeks

Cut a long story short, hubby had a vr in Jan 2011

Had no motility for 1st 18 months and very very little sperm along with no morphology, after a lot of reading he now has normal counts of both motility and sperm (46% motility 53% count)but morphology is on the low side at only 2%

I suffered a miscarriage back in Sept but have not got caught again

I'm unsure as to even bother with IUI as budget is tight and I am very soon to be 37, and I have read that it's not much different than trying ourselves

Going on previous experiences what would you suggest?

I have stated to my consultant that I would like to donate my eggs and have always said that I am fortunate to have had children in a previous relationship and would like to be able to help some one else and give them a opportunity, but have no idea whether they will let me.

I am really confused by the whole assisted concept and the secretary told me that the meeting will last approx 30mins, which seems far too short to be able to decide what to do :shrug:

So any advice would be much much appreciated xxxx

You'll get to talk a lot in 30 minutes. The typical doctor time in other situations is about 5 minutes, so I don't expect you will feel rushed. Then come the blood tests that give indications about the status of your egg reserves.

In the US, you typically can't donate eggs after age 34.

It's a good sign that you got pregnant on your own at 36 with the sperm issues. You are correct that IUI doesn't give you a much better chance. After my m/c at 35, I played around with IUI and other medicated timed intercourse cycles for 2 years and didn't get pregnant again. Now I have just started an IVF cycle. My RE only does ICSI - and with your husband's sperm, I think you'd want to do that if you go with IVF.

It's not an easy choice. I didn't like my first RE because he was cocky and always talked about it like the decision was nothing more than a percentages game (pushing us for IVF) but here I am now, doing exactly what he suggested - with a different RE. Only my eggs are now 2 years older.

Good luck to you! I hope you get your baby this year!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->