I've been worried, but maybe I've been doing it wrong all along.

StrongerDust

Reaction score
Hello,
I've been TTC for nearly 18 months. In that time, I've never had a positive pregnancy test or ovulation test. Me and my partner have sex throughout the month, apart from when I'm on my period.

I've never really had that 'clear, super stretchy ovulation discharge'. However, I've always had plently of creamy white, thick-ish discharge.

Now... tonight I think I've found out why I haven't been successful.

I think I ovulate during my period.

I'm currently on the second day of my period. I went to the bathroom just now to change my tampon, I had put in a super sized tampon, but went to the toilet before I actually needed to change it. So, when I took it out it was mainly white with some blood at the tip. When I took it out I immediately saw it covered in a clear discharge (mixed with a tiny amount of blood, due to my period of course, but it was clear).

TMI:

I took the clear discharge off to have a better look and it was EXACTLY how everyone says ovulation discharge looks like. It was clear, SUPER stretchy, like it stretched the whole space from my thumb to my index finger without breaking, I've never had that.

Is it possible to ovulate during my period?
Is this why I haven't got pregnant? - as said me & OH don't have sex during my period.
As said as well, I've never even managed to have a positive ouvlation test either and prehaps this is why? (I don't test during my period - only in the days it says in the instructions).

I'm hoping after all this time I've finally found out why I haven't been getting pregnant.....

What do you guys think?

Unless your cycles are only 14 days long, I don't think it is possible to ovulate while on your period. You may want to consult your doctor about it, though.

I sometimes would have some clear, stretchy discharge mixed with blood during my period, I think most women do. That kind of discharge can be caused by hormonal changes, and during your period your hormones are changing a lot.

I'd say it is highly unlikely that you are ovulating while AF is around. The stretchy CM is may be caused by a hormone change while you're on AF.
Also, if you are only testing with OPK's when the directions say, then you may be missing your surge. Everyone ovulates at different times so you may need to start testing earlier or continue to test later. I start testing around CD 15 and continue until I get a positive (which had some as late as in the CD70's!) For this cycle I'd say start testing around CD 12 and continue right up till you get a positive. You may want to invest in some internet cheapie tests so that you have plenty to use and so you don't spend a ton on the expensive store bought tests!

I have read about women ovulating 4 or 5 days after their period starts, but its rare. Who knows? Your body could be on its own crazy calendar..

Do you chart your BBT? Would be super helpful to find out when you actually ovulate. It's given me such piece of mind over the past few months.

Hmm, it's very unlikely you would ovulate on your period as periods happen approx. 14 days after ovulation. I agree with Tmb0047 - maybe you're not starting the tests on the right day for your cycle? If you have shorter cycles you should start testing earlier, longer cycles you should start later. Sometimes there are charts in the OPK literature that can help you figure out when to start.

I would consider making an appt. with your doctor just to make sure you're actually ovulating. It can't hurt to get things checked out, if just for peace of mind!

I ovulate as early as cycle day 10. The last day or two of my period often has some slippery/eggwhite mucus mixed in with the light bleeding. It is possible to ovulate earlier than this but unusual.
How long are your cycles normally? I agree that charting would be useful, it would tell you when you usually ovulate in your cycle and more importantly make sure that you are, in fact, ovulating.

I doubt your ovulating during your period. I get that clear EW discharge with my period too. Also Opks dont work for everyone (me for example i get positive opks throughout my whole cycle and then I dont ovulate) im thinking your probably just timing it wrong or your not ovulating at all. How long are your cycles? You should temp woth a basal thermometer and it will help you figure out what exactly is happening with your cycle and when. Also after 18 months it might be time to see a doctor. Good luck to you!

I agree with the others. The way your body's hormones work, it wouldn't make sense. I would definitely investigate other ways of tracking ovulation though (temping, fertility monitor, etc) so you can nail it down if the OPKs aren't working for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->