I've completely messed up! Help please! How long to settle on new formula?

BethK

Reaction score
My DD is 3 weeks old, she been on Aptamil and was drinking it fine but had awful trapped wind, constipation and acid reflux and would be really unsettled.

On Sunday we changed to Cow and Gate Comfort in the hope that it will help her digestive system.

The first 24 hours was fine, she would take 3-4oz every 2-3 hours, but for the last 24 hours she's screamed during bottles, won't take more than an ounce, won't lie down at all, literally in up from 11-6am on the sofa with her on my lap. She sips the bottle then falls asleep, if I wake her up she cries and refuses the bottle. She's straining all the time and has only had 7oz in 24 hours!

I desperately regret changing formula. Do you think I should change her back again?

We've tried level 3 and Y teats, she's using Dr Brown's with Level 2 teats.

We also use infacol.

Do you think the milk is bad for her or do I need to give it time?

She may have a dairy or soy allergy. If she wasn't taking the first one well, I wouldn't switch back. Call your pedi to see what they recommend [esp since she's not eaten much over the last 24 hours] but I'd think trying something marked sensitive may be your best bet. Also keep in mind it takes a few days for them to adjust to the new formula, so it may just be that? Good luck :hugs:

I would keep her on whatever she was doing better on. Changing suddenly can cause tummy upset, so it could just be this is her adjusting to the switch. It could be something else entirely and purely coincidental or it could be that she isn't taking well to the new formula. We switched formula at one point (a bit later, maybe 8 weeks or so) to use Hipp (for no reason other than it was organic and I wanted to use that instead of Cow & Gate) and it caused terrible reflux. Like my daughter went from being perfectly fine to screaming with every feed and projectile vomiting everything after every feed. We tried it for a week (honestly, it didn't occur to me that it could be the formula, because everyone said Hipp was supposed to be the most gentle one you could get). It didn't get any better. We switched back and it went back to being completely fine. So yes, it could be the new formula, and I would be inclined to use whatever worked better. If it is reflux, which it could be, I'd also see your GP to treat the reflux rather than switching around to different formulas if none seems to help. Keeping her upright on your chest or in a wrap will help a lot as well.

I had a similar problem with my LO. He was originally on sma gold, which was making him really gassy and he would not settle. He'd scream after feeds for so long. Then during and after feeds. It was unbearable. I read great things about hipp, so changed him onto that & in 3 days he was still screaming, but added spitting up excessively as well. The health visitor told us to try sma comfort & just to put him straight onto it. It's been amazing. We've also started using the anti colic tommee tippee bottles too. He's like a new baby! He settles so much easier and has hardly any gas now.

Don't feel too bad, it's all trial and error & you'll figure out what works xxx

It can take a few days to adjust to a new formula but it doesn't really sound like that's the problem. Have you tried using the normal level one teats? The milk could be coming out to fast causing LO to gulp more swallowing lots of air and causing gassiness.
Comfort milk helped my DS in some ways but it also made his poo less regular and thicker (and green!) could your LO be constipated? Does she wind easily?

I'd say to see the gp. My little boy had terrible reflux regardless of whether he was breast or formula fed and we also tried a few different types. I was told afterwards you're not supposed to 'try them out' but I didn't know that at the time :-/ dr put ds on gaviscon and almost overnight he was like a different baby. So I'd def say it's worth having a chat with your gp at least

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->