(IVF baby) 6wk+2 scan today, ovaries the size of grapefruits?!

W8ing4ours

Reaction score
I just posted this under First Trimester, but I know my IVF ladies hang out in here more :)

Well, we found there's only one baby in there, my husband was sure it was two (IVF, we put in 2). It was so amazing to see the heartbeat, it definitely made it more real to me. So, I told the Dr right away that I feel huge, and my stomach and bloat hasn't gone down at all since the stim meds (where I ended up with 18 one inch follicles!). Well, while doing my scan we saw the baby and then he showed me that both of my ovaries are measuring the size of grapefruits! On one hand, I feel relieved, I didn't know how I could have gained so much weight already, and even though everyone on here talks about "bloat" I thought, really? this much? So anyways, he said I probably will have to stop my progesterone shots, but it really freaked me out. Everyone else seems to do progesterone until week 12. Why are they still so big? I just want the baby to have enough room and I'm about a size 31/32 (or 12). So, 2 grapefruits in there is A LOT.

Just looking for some reassurance...anyone else go through this after getting pregnant w/ IVF?

Ooh you're scaring me! My IVF is scheduled for the end of May. How long will the boosting last?

Well apparently all of the follicles I had (18 or so) have turned into cysts, and its a common side affect of the IVF process. Doc said I'll be ok, and that the baby will be fine. My body will just absorb the cysts, and it may take another 4 weeks before my ovaries go back to normal. No twisting, turning, bending, exercise (or sex, poor DH) for at least another month. Glad I don't have to worry anymore, but I wish I didn't have to carry around the grapefruits any longer! It has been a long road to pg though, and I would do it all again in a heartbeat, just glad I have a healthy baby growing inside me!! Assisted conception isn't glamorous, but it is a miracle to me, and I am so thankful that couples in our positions are still able to have children.

Don't worry too much Mibebe, just focus on the result! Regardless of the side affects, it IS worth it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->