IVF early scan one embryo much smaller? IVF ladies advice needed please?

elociN

Reaction score
Hi all
I had another thread about my friend who had cramps following IVF and BFP so she went for a private scan following advice from the girls on here. :flower:
She had a private scan a couple of days ago and they found 2 yolk sacks (2 embryos were transferred) but one is measuring to date (5 weeks) and another one is tiny.
She is happy at least one of them is measuring ok. I am hoping the other one has implanted later? Can this happen with IVF that one embryo just ends up being a few days behind?

She is now waiting for a scan end of Jan but is worried about the smaller baby. Does anyone have experience with this and what is the likely outcome?

PS she does not use forums and message boards but doesn't mind me asking on her behalf (in case some of you are wondering why I keep asking questions for someone else :) I have had 5 babies myself but never had IVF so I am not quite sure what is normal in early IVF pregnancy and what is considered normal and not normal).
Thank you all who reply.

I think it depends on how much smaller the tiny one is...I think it could go either way. If I were her, I'd ask my doctor.

how far along was she when she was scanned? They wont be the same size all the time as its like 2 different pregnancies but one shouldn't be really behind but a few days should be ok x

She said the bigger one measured 5 weeks (she got her BFP 6 days or so before the scan) but the small one was very small (sonographer said) so I think they told her it could go either way. I am hoping it's jut implanted later but thought I'd ask here.
Thank you guys for posting :kiss:

Its hard to say, but she can work out how many weeks she is as its ivf so the dates are exact. So day of collection is 2 weeks pg already as its from last period.
I hope all is ok, I kept thinking with mine I want both to be fine but be be blessed with one is amazing after what those of us that have had IVF go through. I wish her luck x

Thank you Nothernmonke!
Good luck to you too, it looks like you are much further along so it's looking good.
My friend has wanted kids for years, she started talking about it when I just got pregnant with my 3rd (nearly 7 years ago) and then they tried for ages and had one IVF on the NHS almost exactly a year ago which sadly failed. So this one they had to pay for themselves and I really really hope at least one of them sticks! Two would be absolutely amazing!
I watched a programme about IVF recently and the pain and the stress you ladies go through before the transfer is even done and I can only imagine the paranoia accompanying the pregnancy.
I lost my first son at 33 weeks and then another baby really early 3 months later, so I was super paranoid all through my subsequent pregnancies so I know what its like to be very anxious.

Her doctors won;t tell her anything until her end of Jan scan, they wouldn't even scan her this time when she complained about having cramps so she went and had a private scan, and let the sonographer know its an IVF pregnancy. Before the scan she told me that dates wise she should be about 6 weeks but after she was told the bigger embryo was measuring 5 weeks and the other one was too small. I do hope they are both ok though.

I am so sorry for your losses. I have had my IVF compared to other complications that people go through and at the end of the day nothing is worse than one another is all just so unfair and terribly heartbreaking. The main thing is that we continue to fight and hopefully get what we set out for in the end, what doesn't kill you makes you strong and all that crap ;)
I felt like the last 8 weeks have taken ages and it hasn't been plain sailing even when we got the BFP. I think we will always worry but its all a waiting game and if we can remain slightly sane then we will come through it :)

Happy new year! here's to 2014! x

Happy New Year to you too! Wishing you 2 healthy and happy babies in 2014!!xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"