IVF peeps - what's the process for IVF, how does it all work???

LisaBananaman

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Although I've still got my lap to go through, I'm pretty much expecting it will just confirm the fact that my tubes are blocked and we'll need to move on to IVF.

I know the basic process of IVF - i.e. they stimulate your ovaries to produce follicles, collect the eggs and then fertilise them and pop them back in!! But this is really all I know about it! Apart from this, I'm really not sure what's involved in each stage, and was hoping someone might be able to fill me in? :flower:

Like, what hormones do they use, how do you take them (pills, injections??), how long does each stage last, do the injections hurt/make you feel funny??? I've heard about long and short protocols, but no idea what they mean! Also heard about people going back on BCP - so I'm kind confused about the whole process really and hoping for some answers.

Thanks in advance!

xxxxx

hi i didnt want to read and run so hopefully you will get answers from others that know a lot more than me, anyway im due to start my first ivf after christmas i have 2 blocked tubes too from what ive been told i will have to have daily injections to stop my natural cycle for about 2 weeks then i will have fsh injections for approx 12 days to increase the number of eggs, they will scan me daily then 34 - 38 hrs before collection il have a hormone jab to help the eggs mature, after collection i will have progesterone to prepare the womb lining for the transfer.

Hi Lisabananaman!

There is no definitive answer to your question, as every clinic has their own protocols and use different drugs!

You got the basics down-pat, other than prior to ovarian stimulation, your ovaries are shut down - known as down regulation, or down regging. Some clinics use The Pill to start this process (which also gives greater control over dates), other start the down regging on a natural CD21, The down regging can take the form of injectibles or sniffing! Depending on the protocol, down-regging can last from 2 days to 20 or so days! The drugs can be either agonists or antangonists (agonists are the most common), their basic job is to stop ovulation.

The stim drugs called gonadotropins (FSH) are always injectible. Most people stim for 10-12 days, or until their lead follicles are about 18-20mm

The trigger shot (hcg or LH) to let your follicles know it's time to stop growing and mature is done about 36 hours before egg collection. Again, different clinics use differerent trigger drugs, there are 3 main ones; pregnyl, ovidrel and I can't remember the other! Also some clinics do EC under general anasthetic, some with sedation and some with just some painkilling pessaries!

After EC, you start taking either progesterone or possible small doeses of HCG to support your luteal phase, both work to raise your progesterone levels - drugs are needed to instigate this, as all the other drugs have confused your body, so it may not realise it's supposed to be producing progesterone.

The embryologist does their thing (after your OH has does his thing) and introduces your eggs to the sperm, and hopefully the eggs fertilise, and after 2, 3 or 5 days you get 1,2 or maybe if things aren't looking so good 3 embryps replaced via a catheter in a very quick process (like a smear test).

If all goes to plan, 14 days after egg collection you have a blood test and get a BFP!

I know wikipedia has a lot of rubbish on it, but the IVF page and the details of the drugs seem pretty accurate to me. IVF

Thanks for your replies ladies, much appreciate. I do have some more questions however, sorry!!

If you have to have injections, where do you do them? I read a post on here about using a really long needle and it's freaked me out a bit!! Do they hurt?

Also, what sort of side effects to you get from the hormones?

Finally, how long is the entire process from beginning to end? Is it like a month, i.e. follows your body's natural patterns?

Oh, and if you get referred by the NHS, do you still end up going to a private clinic, except that the NHS pays for it? Or do you go to an NHS hospital?

Sorry for all the questions - I'm trying to sit at my desk and work and all I can think about is TTC and IVF! This whole thing is v consuming!

xxxx

hi lisa,

i'll try and help you out with the other questions, I'm currently on my second round of IVF (frozen transfer this time)

1) Injections - i did them in my leg for the first lot, at the top, and swapped everyday. When i began the second batch, that wnet in my tummy (again, alternating the sites). The really long needle, the scary looking one, is a mixing needle ;) i papped myself when i got all my stuff through, and the nurse did laugh at me....:blush:

2) side effects - vary hun from person to person. For my fresh cycle, i was a miserable sh** to say the least! I bloated a fair bit and had weight gain (but it's worth it if it works...) They're the only ones that stick out for me. I do know ladies who have had no side effects. Sweats too - that's a bugger - it's like a mini-menopause during down reg stage as they're shutting your system down. For me though, the side effects are tolerable as you know why you're doing it, so please don;t be put off.

3) length of process - for me, i was on a long protocol, so i down regged on CD21, and i think i had fresh transfer done around day 16/17??? (dont quote me, it was a long time ago - oo, that's another side effect for me - crap memory...), then the 2 week wait after that - so about 6 weeks i think. my frozen cycle is one week less as i don't need down regging

4) nhs / private - depends on your area. My hospital doesn't have an ivf facility, so i go to a private clinic out of town, and the bill is picked up by the NHS.

don't apologise for the questions, the more we know, the better informed we are to make the right decisions about things,

good luck hun x x x

Thanks MrsF! :flower:

The detail is great, thank you! The injections in the stomach do sound very scary tho! I feel like I've spent ages getting my body settled down after 15 years on BCP and it seems funny to think I'll be taking all those crazy hormones and probably confusing the hell out of it again!

How long did it take your body to get back to normal after your first round of IVF?

Really hope round 2 works out for you, Fx xxxxx

they're honestly not hun, I slouched when i did mine so i could grab some flab ;) (i would sit on the bathroom floor with my back on the rad) just pinch a bit between your finger and thumb, and whack it in!! If i can inject myself, please believe me that you can too, I'm a grade A wuss........ stomach is easier than thigh for me as i can't grab hold of any skin on me leg...

if i'm honest, it took a fair while, longer than i thought it would. I had my cycle last october, and i'd say in the January i was back to relative normality (but then my gallbladder went doolally and that had to be whipped out...) After my weight gain, someone asked me in Jan if i'd lost weight, so that was my measure. My cycles are always clockwork, and they were absolutely fine straight after AF of the ivf cycle.

thanks hun, i'm very optimistic about this cycle, i have 2 really healthy blastocysts (sometimes embryos are left a wee bit longer to see how they develop, that's what they did for me, and they're blasto's - apologies if you knew that ;)) so i'm confident that one will survive the thaw, and i've been having acupuncture too. and eating v healthily and sleeping for bloody england!!!!

when might this happen for you hun? x x

Thanks for all the info, Im doing IVF next month and its all very helpful xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back