IVF - progesterone question

jkb11

Reaction score
In a few months I will begin my 2nd IVF. I was able to carry to term last September and my husband and I would like to use our remaining embryos. I experienced 6 early miscarriages prior to my daughter that were results of oral fertility meds and IUIs. The dr. Was convinced that it was from genetic issues so we did PGS tests on our embryos and they came back normal. The dr. Had me take high doses of progesterone with my IVF pregnancy which is why I feel I was able to carry to term. With the 6 miscarriages she had me do vaginal suppositories of progesterone, but when I had IVF she had me use vaginal suppositories plus 2ml injections of progesterone daily for the first 12 weeks. So my question.... If I don't use the progesterone how will my chances of maintaining the pregnancy be affected? I plan to discuss this with the dr. When we begin the whole process again but, wondering if any of you ladies have had experience with this.

No reason why you shouldn't repeat what you did on the cycle that worked. I'd push for that, though I'd think the dr would be of the same opinion. GL!

If you are doing frozen transfer you must be on progesterone or else the pregnancy will never make it. Unless you do a natural fet where you ovulate on your own then embryos are put back. But if you had issues with low progesterone before I would recommend you to do the progesterone. You wouldn't want to risk losing it. No one can tell you your chances but if you do a traditional fet you will be on progesterone until 10-12 weeks. Personally I wouldn't risk it with your history. With the traditional fet you will not implant if you do not take the progesterone because progesterone is needed for final maturation of the lining and for implantation to occur so you won't even get pregnant. Then if you stop it you will lose the baby since your ovaries are not doing any work at all. Progesterone generally comes from the corpus luteum when you ovulate. So if you do a medicated fet there is no ovulation which means no corpus luteum which means no progesterone which means no support for pregnancy except what you take. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks ladies:flower::flower: how does the body produce the progesterone for the natural unmedicated FET? My worry is I did fertility treatments for so many years, and if there is a possibility of getting a BFP without all the meds then I would like to give it a try. I am exclusively breast feeding my daughter but have actually been getting regular periods since she was 2 months. Though they are about 33 -34 day cycle lengths. But, I'm guessing as long as I'm ovulating my egg quality wouldn't matter since they would be putting embryo in.

You would ovulate. Once you ovulate the follicle turns into the corpus luteum. The corpus luteum sends out progesterone after ovulation. You would transfer 5-6 days after positive lh test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->