IVF Transfer & Antibiotics: Did you or didn't you?

Vonn

Reaction score
Hi! I will be doing a FET in a few weeks and am struggling with whether or not to take the antibiotics my clinic has prescribed for me. My nurse said it's up to me; they won't "make me" take them, but do recommend it. She was sympathetic to my situation.

The last thing I want is to jeopardize my chances for success by getting a vaginal infection. On the other hand, I have no idea how likely that actually is. And, I have been working very hard to repopulate my gut with healthy bacteria after getting chronically sick from bad guys taking over in the gut after years of low-dose antibiotic therapy for acne. A healthy gut microbiome is very important for mama and baby and I don't want to risk further messing mine up. I am loathe to take antibiotics unless it's absolutely necessary.

If you've been in this situation, what did you do? Does anyone have any info about the actual chances of vaginal infection during/after IVF transfer?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences/opinions/knowledge!

Hi! I will be doing a FET in a few weeks and am struggling with whether or not to take the antibiotics my clinic has prescribed for me. My nurse said it's up to me; they won't "make me" take them, but do recommend it. She was sympathetic to my situation.

The last thing I want is to jeopardize my chances for success by getting a vaginal infection. On the other hand, I have no idea how likely that actually is. And, I have been working very hard to repopulate my gut with healthy bacteria after getting chronically sick from bad guys taking over in the gut after years of low-dose antibiotic therapy for acne. A healthy gut microbiome is very important for mama and baby and I don't want to risk further messing mine up. I am loathe to take antibiotics unless it's absolutely necessary.

If you've been in this situation, what did you do? Does anyone have any info about the actual chances of vaginal infection during/after IVF transfer?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences/opinions/knowledge!

Typically they only give them just before and slight after retrieval and transfer. Its not like you'd be on it for weeks on end. I would say the benefit out weights the risk, but that's just my opinion.

I think my clinic only does antibiotics after the retrieval, I don't expect to have this for my FET in Jan.
Did they say why the prescribed it?
I never had this when I did my multiple (6) IUI's, and the procedure itself is almost identical.

Hi! After loads of info read I'm sure it's safe. There is a specific reason as to why the embryos come to no harm. Before the pregnancy test is positive, the embryo still hasn’t established a blood supply from the maternal circulation. It means that the amount of drugs that the mother consumes and that end up reaching the embryo are too negligible. They don’t really cause any harm. And so, if you have just gone through embryo transfer, you don’t really need to worry if you sometimes have to take that antibiotic or even an antimalarial. It’s perfectly safe for you to do so and no harm will come to your embryos. Fingers crossed ;)

I took doxyxycline with this transfer for seven days & like you was concerned about my microbiome so I took a tablet probiotic at lunchtime as I took the antibiotic first thing & last thing and have continued taking it after I have finished them.

I didnt even think about it. Had them. Had a successful cycle and a beautiful healthy boy

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->