Jack has arrived! LONG!

mightyspu

No life since Aug 2009...
Reaction score
My final sweep was on Sat 24th July. I immediately had a show and the evening brought irregular contractions which vanished over night.
Sun 25th July and no more contractions in the morning; however we were advised to take a trip to hospital to confirm the colour of my plug (I am colourblind and was unsure). 5minutes was all it took to confirm it was red! However we then spent 2 hours on monitor as lo hb was a little high and unsettled. I then started getting contractions on the way home, but did not get my hopes up due to so many false starts!. Contractions stopped as expected however, then started again later on in the day. By 18:00, they were 5 mins apart, lasting about a minute and taking my breath away, so we phoned the maternity unit. Was then told to call back when 2-3 mins apart and I was having to breath fully through them. Had a bath which helped hugely.

The contractions became closer together, I got of the bath and we put the TENs on. Started being sick around this time and called unit to go in about 22:00 Mat unit is about 30 minutes drive from our house.

Once there, I was examined and told that only 3 cm dilated. Came home. Tens and bath stopped working their magic. Was still being sick and in lots of pain, left to go back to the unit at 1:00. Annoyingly, was still only 3cm. MW explained that it was too early for us to be there because labour could last for while and they only have limited pain relief. So we made the decision to go to the second choice hospital – Royal Berks in Reading. (about an hour away from where we were. )

Arrived at 3:00 and given a fab homebirthing room. Given gas and air about 3:30 (the hospital was very busy at the time) Managed to get some rest between contractions. It was quite a while before anyone came to assess me, I think it was around 5:00 and then I hopped on the ball for some bouncing for about an hour. Contractions got more painful.
I was given Diamorphine and an anti sickness drug around 7:00. Contractions ceased to be felt but managed to eat sausage roll and a cereal bar, so felt much better.

Around 9:30, my waters were broken by the mw to try and get things moving again. Small amounts of Meconium were found, and the morphine was continuing to shut out the feeling of contractions. Was put on trace machine to measure them. Continued to bounce on the ball to try an encourage some action, but my contractions were still not coming often enough so they moved me to a delivery suite to be put on a Simto hormone drip at around 11:30 to get them going again.

Contractions became thick and fast and the diamorphine and anti sickness drug stopped working at around 13:00, but I was unable to have more until 15:00. I was constantly on my feet, because the contractions were too uncomfortable to allow me to bend to sit on the ball or drape over the bed. I was also running out of energy as had started being sick again. They decided not to up the drip intensity as my contractions so frequent and intense – coming every minute or so and were lasting for 90 seconds.

Examined at 15:30 still 4cm. there was talk of keeping me on the drip for another 4 hours and upping the hormone, but I think I went a little Linda Blair at this point. Somehow, a consultant was consulted and then I was being treated to a gown and support hose. There was a bit if emotion between me and DH, because he is not comfortable in a hospital environment, and he did not think he could g through with being there. I told him I understood, but the mw talked him into it and I went off to have the spinal block put in. It was agony without the G+A and it took me ages to get on the table. The procedure was quick, it took longer to get me dosed up on drugs and stitch me up than it was to deliver him. Jack was born at 17:07 weighing a whopping 9lbs 6oz! After the birth he was monitored for the Meconium in the waters and found to be fine. I later found out that he had turned back to back in labour, which explains why I could not sit, and why I was in so much pain!

The birth bore no relation to our (very loose) plans, but he arrived safely and is doing very well. I hope this story does not sound too over dramatic, I have tried to recall it accurately without scaremongering!
new.jpgweigh.jpghosp.jpg

I love the picture of Jack in the little white blankie! I'm scared of delivering now, tho

Yey for birth story. Aww he looks so big there. I hope your both doing well. Well done to M for going in with you :thumbup: xxx

Koro i am assuming you knew labour would hurt before you got pregnant? :rofl:

Great story Spu. And I can identify with the plans not going as you thought but ho hum, means to an end! He's an absolute doll and you just look proud as punch. Big love. xxx

Koro - don't be, it's just something you have to do. You'll find that your body takes over and you just cope! I didn't mean the story to be a horror story, I wouldn't change it for the world. I am not traumatised by it, and neither is DH or Jack.

You will be fine!

Koro i am assuming you knew labour would hurt before you got pregnant? :rofl:

Great story Spu. And I can identify with the plans not going as you thought but ho hum, means to an end! He's an absolute doll and you just look proud as punch. Big love. xxx

We purposely didn't make strict plans as we knew that anything could happen in labour and having never done it before, we had no idea what to expect! We had Jack in the best possible place in the end.

thanks for sharing your story spu, well done to M for going in with you. jack is absolutely gorgeous and you look very in love with him. glad all is well, big hugs xx

Well done hun, Jack is gorgeous - congrats again xxxx

I am very proud of him, and me and M! Can't wait for you ladies to join or renew your membership in the mummy club

Congratulations on your beautiful baby boy! Hope you're recovering well and settling in with your little man.

Your birth story has similarities to mine (emergency c-section. Didn't dilate beyond 3cm and had baby in distress and slightly back to back).

:hugs:

Haha yeah I knew labor would before getting pregnant. But I'm such a big softie.

Spu- it doesn't sound like a horror story it just sounds like a pain in the ass to make you drive there 3 times instead of keeping you there all the time. :shrug:

Congratulations on your beautiful baby boy! Hope you're recovering well and settling in with your little man.

Your birth story has similarities to mine (emergency c-section. Didn't dilate beyond 3cm and had baby in distress and slightly back to back).

:hugs:

Thanks hon, Jack seemed happy enough to stay in! his hr was very steady and he screamed blue murder when he was born! your lo looks like a pillar of health, was he badly distressed?

Haha yeah I knew labor would before getting pregnant. But I'm such a big softie.

Spu- it doesn't sound like a horror story it just sounds like a pain in the ass to make you drive there 3 times instead of keeping you there all the time. :shrug:
the third time was a different hospital entirely, and the first 2 times, we had no idea how dilated I was (or wasn't in this case). The first place was a maternity unit as opposed to a hospital, they have no doctors, only midwives and it's as much like being at home without being at home. IYSWIM. It was only a birthing option if I had no complications. If I had have stayed there and the labour progressed as it did, I would have ended up going to hospital anyway but one that was much further from where we live and not as well known to us.

I'm not sure if we have midwife here in Canada

You know your pills that help you poo? Pass 'em over here!

Thanks for sharing Spu, am loving the pic of J on the scales - he looks enormous ;) so glad everything went well for you x

Congratulations on the birth of your son x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->