Jack Russel dogs - good pets???

Tanikins

mum to 1
Reaction score
^^^^^ basically this

ive been offered a 1yr old JR and i just wondering if they make good family pets. i have had 1 before but like 3/4 yrs ago so i cant really remember :blush: ive been told its got very good temperament

i know they need lots of exercise and stimulation and thats fine i just want a loving dog around my lb. i know that its the dog and not the breed just wanna know if anyone has 1 and how they are around your lo's

noo theres snappy to kids/other dogs and my mil use to wee anywhere :?

My mum has one and it is so well behaved around lo shes never snaped at anything let alone lo.
Only problem with her is she is very springy qnd spends most of her time jumping aroynd like a little jack in the box but she doesnt jump up at people just jumps up and down infront of them in a look at me sort of way :)

She has always been very gentle and calm with lo but shes very obediant but idealy i do think you need to have them grow up with children from the start

My mum has 2 jack Russels, and they are both great with LO, the female she's very obedient and the male (her pup, he's under a year old) he's also great with LO. They don't really bother with LO unless she goes upto them and wants to play/stroke or feed them dog biscuits lol. x

We had a jack Russell and he was awful,he only liked certain people,for months he wouldn't let my oh cuddle me. When my oh cuddled me he'd growl at him and try to snap at him. He often snapped at people who came to ye house he didn't like. He loved me so that was ok I think I was the only person he never growled or snapped at. We ended up giving him to fathers friends elderly mother as when I had Tyler the dog was very very nervous around him and didnt like him. I was petrified of him nipping Tyler.

i have 1 and she is a great dog sooo good with kids and super happy and playful but can take a telling i love her to bits but.....the amount of hair she casts is unreal so we have had to keep her an outside dog (she is white and brown) u would need a hoover attached to ur hand

So basically the same as all breeds then - just depends what this dog is like

depends on how the dog has been treated from a pup to i think

If you want a jack russell as a family pet then its best to get them as young pups, the problem is alot of jack russells and I do mean alot are dog agressive and if anyone is near them when they are after another dog then they can redirect that aggression to the closest person including small children. I dont think they are the best pet for families with young children. Ive even seen 2 jack russells attack and kill a full grown fox in the middle of a park in the daytime. Dont get me wrong my friend has 2 jack russells and they are really good in general but if me and a friend would playfight then they would start jumping and nipping just through getting excited i remember getting a bloody lip and nose one day from them and I was 18 then. Im all for not blaming breeds but there are certain traits that some breeds have that dont make them suitable to be around children HTH x

If you want a jack russell as a family pet then its best to get them as young pups, the problem is alot of jack russells and I do mean alot are dog agressive and if anyone is near them when they are after another dog then they can redirect that aggression to the closest person including small children. I dont think they are the best pet for families with young children. Ive even seen 2 jack russells attack and kill a full grown fox in the middle of a park in the daytime. Dont get me wrong my friend has 2 jack russells and they are really good in general but if me and a friend would playfight then they would start jumping and nipping just through getting excited i remember getting a bloody lip and nose one day from them and I was 18 then. Im all for not blaming breeds but there are certain traits that some breeds have that dont make them suitable to be around children HTH x

Completely agree

for me someone looking to rehome a year old dog would set alarm bells ringing hun, so just to add to the advice already given, unless you know the person well and they are selling because they genuinely need to i would be really wary of taking something on at that age, jack russel or otherwise

Be careful. Jack Russell's are very stubborn dogs and are bred to be ratters so have a tendency to chase and be destructive. They can also be snappy little buggers and bark alot.
Iv had my jrt since 8 weeks and he's a little shite bag likes the sound of his own bark lol. He can also be snappy with children under 2 despite being raised with children and having behavioural classes ect. It is just his temperament to be how he is. They also NEED atleast 40mins 2-3 times per day of a good fast walk or they get bored.
At the moment mine spends day time in his crate until my toddler is walking as I don't trust him. However he is a very affection dog and great fun, we do agility training with ours has they are actually smart dogs and need constant stimulation.
Overall not the greatest family pet with young children, a loyal breed gental such as a lab or collie are best with young family's.

Well weve got her on a temp basis to see how we get on but so far so good. Sge has sniffed my lb but other than that shes kept a wide berth. Im obv not gonna leave the alone together but shes very disinterested in him at the min and my lbs not overly bothered

Ya i know how much energy they have ive took her for 1.5 hour walk around town and she has the garden to run in - guess well have to see hiw the next few says go

I don't blame dogs - the problem invariably is on the OTHER end of the lead... but my dog's been attacked twice by JRTs (both times thankfully in the winter when she had her coat on - so the fleece on that took the weight of the teeth). Not the breed's fault - but the fact they do tend to attract the dotty little old ladies who don't bother to train them or work on any issues - same as lots of small dogs... one that's small and thinks its Rambo is a problem you can ignore much more than something large with the same ideas!

Having said that - I know one or two beautifully trained ones and they're gorgeous little dogs... terriers of course so with the terrier personality and attitude - just a shame I come across a few pain in the rear specimens on my walks a lot of the time.

ive had 3 jack russel terriers in my lifetime & they were all fantastic dogs as long as they get enough exercise & stimulation/attention

they need to be closely supervised around young kids (like all dogs) which you are already aware of :thumbup:

im sure he'll make a great pet tho x

I've always had JRs. They are amazing and loyal wee dogs who are great pets. They do however need an owner who is willing to put in the training that they will need and will follow it through. Sadly JRs tend to get a bum wrap but again it's not a case of the dogs being nasty it's a case of the owners not training them or exercising them enough. They get bored VERY easily, but as long as you are the dominant pack leader and not them you'll be fine.
I've yet to meet any dog who i would trust 100% around young children and i've been bitten twice but by so called "softie" dogs labradors. I'd trust a JR over a lab anyday :D

My mom's bestie has a jack russel names Syrus.

He is hyper active, he humps everything in sight, and is an escape artist. He runs so fast then when they open the door it's nearly impossible to keep him from getting out and catching the damn dog take hours, as he is really fast.

But he is not aggressive and does cuddle when he calms down. She has 3 kids, 1 being handicapped, and he is great with them.

If you don't mind the high energy levels then it shouldn't be a problem. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->