Jackson's Birth Story - Bradley Method, natural hospital delivery

Zen_Jenn

Mother
Reaction score
Jackson was born June 28th, 11 days overdue, 9lb 7oz, and 22.5 inches. DH and I had attended Bradley method classes to prepare for the birth. They were very useful for understanding the different potential complications, and stages of labor.

At 41 weeks I went to see my doctor, and he wanted to induce right away. I delayed him, and agreed to be induced Monday night if I hadn't had the baby by then. Sunday afternoon we walked 4 miles, I was taking evening primrose oil, and we tried other natural induction methods. I tried to delay the induction until Wednesday, but the hospital was booked up.

Sunday night (Monday morning) I woke up with contractions at 3:30, they had woken me up the previous two nights, and had gone away, ao I decided to give nipple stimluation a try, that seemed to kick things up a notch, and at 4:30 I woke up my DH to tell him I thought I was in labor. We sat in bed for about 20 min., then I decided to go downstairs and let him sleep a little longer, on the way out of bed I felt a gush as part of my waters went.

I phoned the hospital, and they said to come in soon. We stayed at home, and at 6am called our doula, the pains weren't too bad, and she came over at 8:45am. At 9am the hospital called and said the doctor wanted us to come in now (we were supposed to come in when the waters broke). We packed up and got to the hospital at 9:30am.

I got checked at the hospital and was 3 cm, I had hoped to labor at home until 4-5 cm at least. I got in the tub, and had a fairly easy labor for the next three hours. At 12:30 the doctor came by and I was still 3-3.5 cm. He said if I didn't progress in the next hour or two they would have to start pitocin. They had spotted meconium in my waters.

I went back into the tub, contractions got stronger and at 2:00 when I was checked again I was 5cm. Things started to pick up as I entered transition, contractions were frequently back to back. I got back into the tub, and labored for another couple of hours, breaking into full body shakes as my body tried to deal with the pain. At 4:30 I got the urge to push, was checked and was 9cm. Back into the tub, in about 20 min. more, I couldn't resist the urge anymore, and had to get out of the tub.

The Dr. showed up at 4:50, quickly got into his scrubs, I began pushing (couldn't help it actually) and at 5:08 baby Jackson was born. During pushing his heartrate wasn't recovering so they put an oxygen mask on me. When he came out he had the cord wrapped around his neck, but it wasn't tight. His apgar scores were 9 and 9 because his hands and feet were blue.

My placenta was delivered maybe 5 min. later, while I cuddled with Jackson. The pediatric doctor was standing by, in the room, and quickly checked him over to make sure he hadn't inhaled any meconium. He was then given back to me and I breastfed him from 5:30-6:45. The doctor was great, but I gave him a real evil look as he stitched me up (2nd degree tear) cause it hurt. I felt guilty afterwards.

Overall the labor was hard. Things progressed quickly once I hit 5 cm. Pushing was the hardest part for me. We hired a doulla, I wouldn't have been able to do it without her, just knowing that she had attended lots of unmedicated births, and having her knowledge there was so useful.

Now we're at home, Jackson is doing very well, breastfeeding 12-14 times a day. My milk came in very quickly, 2 days after he was born. He's already almost back to his birth weight, after losing 7 ounces at the hospital.

Congrats Jen!!!! So proud of you!!!

Wow - well done you!! That such an inspiring story - thank you for sharing it with us!!xx

congrats on little Jackson! Well done! :flower:

What a great story! So glad it went so well and that baby is such a big, strong, healthy boy! :)

Very inspiring thread thanks for sharing your wonderful thoughts.

congrats again, jenn, that's such a lovely story and gives me hope that i will get through my labour too! off to look at your parenting journal now. :hugs: to you and jackson x

aw, look at little jackson... he's so cute!! thanks for sharing your birth story :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->