Jacob Lucas is finally here! (Long!)

Kerry.

Mummy to Jacob
Reaction score
Finally had my beautiful baby boy at 22.34 on the 19th November, weighing a whopping 10lb 5oz!

My contractions started on Thursday morning at 1am. Tried to sleep them off, but at about 6.30am they seemed to be getting closer together - went to L&D and was told that I was only 2cm, so the midwife did a stretch & sweep and sent me home again.

Couldn't sleep at all on Thursday night, and called L&D at 12.30 and was given some codeine and sent home again.. By 9am my contractions were getting unbearable and all of a sudden my waters broke (well.. gushed!). Called L&D and they told me to wait until they got even closer together and then call them.. Well, after that I lost my mucous plug and the contractions intensified - so I was asked to come straight in.

When I got there I was only 3cm dilated! Tried rocking on a birthing ball but that didn't work - so a few hours later I was given gas & air (which was very good as it made me dose between contractions!). About 4 hours later, I kept getting the urge to push, so asked for Pethadine. The midwife examined me and said that I was 7-8cm dilated, gave me an enema and then injected some pethadine.

The pethadine took the edge off but pretty soon, I couldn't fight the sensation to push but the midwife told me to resist the urge because there was still a bit of cervix in the way.

Finally, after 2 and 1/2 hours later, I was allowed to push! But the pethadine had worn off and I wasn't allowed gas & air! The next bit is a bit of a blur, but I was pushing for ages and Jacob's head would descend, and then go back up again. They put me on Syntocin to speed up the contractions but by then, I couldn't even tell when I was having a contraction, so I was just having to continually push! (Pushed so much, I have quite a few burst blood vessels on my face!)

Oh and in this time, I had 2 catheters, which were put in WHILE I was having contractions :cry:

They monitored the baby at the same time, and found that he was becoming increasingly distressed (tachycardic) and decided to use ventouse - after perfoming an episiotomy. Shortly after, he arrived and was delivered straight onto my stomach - although he was very blue.

They took him over to the resus table, and perfomed 3x5 chest compressions. A few minutes later (although it felt like a lifetime) he cried, and it was such a relief!

I was given the injection to speed up the delivery of the placenta. And boy, did it come out fast! Literally, a couple of minutes after the injection it came out - and tore me! (Even though I'd had an episotomy!)

During all this, my OH was a rock :) Even though he did almost pass out, bless him.

By far the most painful thing I've ever experienced in my life but every second was worth it. Jacob is here safe and sound and is every bit as perfect as I'd imagined him to be.

https://img715.imageshack.us/img715/6020/14961348406962296851394.jpg

He is gorgeous hon! Another Winter baby here safe! :yipee:

wow you did have a time of it, but congrats mummy, he is gorgeous xxx

He's beautiful. Congratulations! Welcome to the world, Jacob x

congrats on the birth of Jacob - so glad he is healthy and happy - he's just gorgeous!

Congratulations! I have a Jacob who was 10lb 3oz and have to say that big Babies named Jacob are the best! lol..x

Congratulations! I have a Jacob who was 10lb 3oz and have to say that big Babies named Jacob are the best! lol..x

Thank you :cloud9: Now, I think we may be biased but I definitely agree! :haha:

congrats hun :hugs: our births are quite similar so I can relate to it, congrats on your lovely little boy arriving safely :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->