• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jamie Oliver

Agree it stuff that should be taught at home- but isnt.

People seem to be seriously lacking in basic life skills...maybe it due to the new make up of society/family or the way our education has changed i dont know.

I think a mix of the way schools teach stuff and extra curricular stuff. I mean making the maths GCSE have an element of financial planning or the science/PE lessons to have more health focus.

Foo - some of the stuff you recommend it sort of similar to the voluntary work they are trying to get the unemployed to do - but as you say maybe they need to gear it more towards life skills rather then working for the sake of it.

Perhaps anothe ridea would be like in the other thread and bringing back National Service - but more civilian service - teaching young people skills they can apply in life.

I agree, that's why I went on to explain what we could do about that.

Yes, sorry if i didnt respond to that bit. I guess that I am wondering how else to fix it. A lot of the people I have met don't want to learn how to cook as why bother when you can get ready meals?

Its not just a case of no knowledge but also no interest in learning.

I once heard a guy say that it's the schools responsibility to potty train children, you go to school to learn *facepalm*
It's always a mixture of both, I understand pp saying there's only so many school hours and I personally feel we as. Society put too much pressure on children's education these days. I like what pp said about intregrating healthy food options in pe and budgeting in maths. As it seems like a good balance.

I don't put a high pressure on children's education but when we are still having a ridiculous number of children leaving schools with inadequate numeracy and literacy skills, I do think schools should concentrate more on solving that problem than teaching children to cook.

I don't put a high pressure on children's education but when we are still having a ridiculous number of children leaving schools with inadequate numeracy and literacy skills, I do think schools should concentrate more on solving that problem than teaching children to cook.
Oh I don't think you do, just a generalisation of society, the current system isn't working to its full potential and there are way to many flaws.

just to change the perspective a bit. The thing about low income families having luxury items like big tvs etc. What if that is the families only luxury. They are low income so the assumption is they don't generally have money to go out to entertainment things ie the cinema, shopping etc So if they have saved what little they earn extra every week to buy a nice tv for the family to share why is that such a big deal? I mean why is tit that we expect a poor income family once the kids are in bed to sit with a tiny tv or no tv. Are those parents not as entitled to a little leisure time as the rest of us because they happen to be low income.

I don't really like Jamie Oliver. I agree in some areas he has raised some good awareness but rather than encouraging people to be healthier now he is more telling people how to live their lives and that annoys me. My kids eat healthily however once I have cooked for them and looked after them all day im tired and hungry and often we will have ready meals for my husband and me because we are shattered. Until he lives my exact situation its not his business what I eat.

just to change the perspective a bit. The thing about low income families having luxury items like big tvs etc. What if that is the families only luxury. They are low income so the assumption is they don't generally have money to go out to entertainment things ie the cinema, shopping etc So if they have saved what little they earn extra every week to buy a nice tv for the family to share why is that such a big deal? I mean why is tit that we expect a poor income family once the kids are in bed to sit with a tiny tv or no tv. Are those parents not as entitled to a little leisure time as the rest of us because they happen to be low income.

I don't really like Jamie Oliver. I agree in some areas he has raised some good awareness but rather than encouraging people to be healthier now he is more telling people how to live their lives and that annoys me. My kids eat healthily however once I have cooked for them and looked after them all day im tired and hungry and often we will have ready meals for my husband and me because we are shattered. Until he lives my exact situation its not his business what I eat.
To be fair, its not about whether those on low income deserve to have nice things, it's more about sacrificing things like a decent diet in order to pay for them. Sure a family on a low income might scrimp and save to buy a nice telly, but if they cut out parts of their budget which are far more important (i.e decent food) to do it, then to me its irrelevant how hard they saved, or how they pay the 20 quid a week for it.

Of course everyone is entitled to a leisure time no matter what their income is, but that still needs to be catered for within their budget. I'm sure someone on a low income deserves a nice holiday in the sun. But should they cut back on the amount of food they feed their children to pay for it?

I'm not sure if it's been mention but it smells a little like hypocrisy. His cookbooks have been criticised by health professionals quite a few times now because of how unhealthy they are.

Healthy eating is all about accessibility and education, what tv people have has no bearing on how much they care for their families and I'm sure 99% are not placing luxuries above their children, I find that very derivative and presumptuous.

Hi girls, I love watching Jamie's shows, and will admit he is a bit obnoxious in what he says, my partner loves his shows but cannot stand him as a person. But saying that me and my partne r on benefits, he's on the sick, I was looking for work and will carry on doing so once baby is 4-6 month old ( best too get that in) I've had a rough time finding a job but have my university degree etc which included budgeting etc infancy so did my sixth form and my secondary school tried although I'm sure most people didn't tame anything from one hour a week!

We cook food on a budget and love home cooked meals, we shop per two weeks and usually spend around 60 pound on meat, veg, n a few dry items, if we're having a bad two weeks sadly it's a freezer shop but we buy bags of veg and meat etc n make meals and will carry on doing so after baby Is born, we don't have luxuries like big tv's, ours cost 15 pound in a second hand charity place, it's a big grey old one and after lasting us 3 year is on its last legs, my partner would love too buy a big tv at 3.50 s week but I can't justify that even though it's so low... I don't want too be one of them families on benefits with the big tv even if they are so cheap to us. I have however agreed well get one when I'm working as its something for him, who can't ever work due too a heart condition, well always be low income so in some people's eyes that means we shouldn't have those items... I do everything by the book, stick too what is correct and try too live my life in these hard times at some point it would be nice,

Sorry for intruding and sorry If my comment is confusing just I have one of them mixed feelings heads on lol xxx

I have a lot of conflicting thoughts about Jamie Oliver.

I really like a lot of his recipes and have a couple of his books and find them to be a good balance between easy-to-make, tasty, and reasonably easy to source ingredients that aren't too expensive.

On the other hand, I would probably be considered a pretty expert home cook, so I realise not everyone feels as relaxed when they see fennel or pomegranate in a recipe or wants/is able to spend up to an hour every night cooking dinner.

He does come across a bit smug, and some of the things he says are definitely exaggerated for effect.

On the other hand, that's the TV game - a bit of controversy gets people talking, and getting people talking is what gets things happening. I think Jamie's probably savvy enough to work that one out.

I do agree that cooking should be taught in the home, and that schools have enough on their plate so to speak.

But on the other hand, given the reality, and that Brits watch on average four hours of TV a day, surely TV is the best medium through which to start reaching people?

Right. I'm off to take Jamie's Super-Tasty Spanish Roast Chicken with potatoes out of the oven while I think more about this.

https://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2013/08/27/has-there-ever-been-a-bigger-prick-than-jamie-oliver/

He's trying to help but he's generalising.

A girl called jack is amazing. Check out her blog. She had no choice but to cook on a very low budget (about £10 a week) and she has great recipes which can be adapted (I find her portions are too small for the men in this house and they like meat!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->