(Jaxtons birth story. long positive c section story)

AdriansMama

Mama to 3 gorgeous boys!
Reaction score
its been a long time coming but here it is :)

Jaxtons Birth Story

I will start a little ahead of the actual birth :) May 4th 2013 was a terrible day for our family. We woke up and started our day normally, then Brenden went to work and Adrian and I went to the grocery store to pick up some odds and ends. When we got home i was horrified, our apartment was flooded right from our bedroom (at the back of the apartment) to the kitchen (at the front) I immediatly started crying and paniking and called our landlord. He was at our house within minutes. All our furniture was soaked and our entire apartment had to be ripped apart. I was devastated! My due date was June 9th and i had had everything set up and ready for baby Jaxtons arrival! Now what was I going to do? Thankfully my grandma lives directly across the street and let us stay there so we could keep track of the repair to our apartment. Our bedroom (where the flood started) had to be completely gutted, walls, flooring, ceiling, everything. Adrians bedroom floor (which had just been redone) had to be ripped up and replaced. On top of all that we had to have industrial sized dehumidifier and air movers for 5 days to dry everything to prevent molding. We found out the flood was caused by our upstairs neighbour who had tried to turn on the hose. The pipe was turned on but she didnt know so he had kicked / hit / used some kind of force and the pipe, which ran through my bedroom ceiling , burst pouring water full force through my ceiling all over my bedroom. Thankfully all our furniture dried and everything was saved!!
On May 6th while everything was drying out I woke up in the morning and my belly had visiby dropped.I had already been suffering from pelvic girdle pain for weeks and since my belly had dropped i spent the day in terrible pain, i could barely move. By Adrians cuddle time I was in so much pain I struggled to get off the bed. It was at this point my grandma suggested I take a trip to the hospital. I didnt want to but Brenden and I decided it wouldnt hurt to get checked out so at 8:00pm we headed over.
We got to the hospital and got hooked up to monitors and before we know it Im being told that Im having contractions , they are about 3 minutes apart and sending the little line thing up about half way . I knew this too well , it was how labour had started for Adrian. Since I was only 35 weeks 1 day they tried to stop my labour by hooking me up to an IV. By 10:30 my OB came in to see what was going on and checked my cervix, I was at 2 cms,they had decided i was staying over night. Brenden went home to my grandmas to be there for Adrian in the morning and i was told some sleep (fat chance!)
I remember, while laying there awake and alone in the assesment room, the sounds of a new mom showing off her new 10 lb baby girl and hearing all the ooh's and awwwe's from the staff and other people in the hall way. At 3 am the nurse came in to replace my IV bag and checked the monitor, contractions were at 2 and a half minutes. She checked my cervix and i was at 4cms! At 4:30 a young couple came in for a scheduled c section and i listened while they discussed how everything would go . Shortly after 5 a woman came in moaning in pain, she was checked and was at 8cms! She was taken to her room for an epidural but by the screams I heard coming from the hallway 45 mins later Im guessing they were too late. Finally 7:00 came and Brenden was on his way back to keep me company and I had gotten word that my OB was coming in to check up on me. Brenden arrived just before 8 and my OB not long after. He checked my cervix again I was still at 4 cm. After being checked my contractions started to get painful and increased to every 2 mins and the line thing was at the top of the page . I was handed a paper for an epidural but refused. At 11am it was decided I would be having another c section, they said anytime between 11:30 and 12:30. After being 4 cms for 7 hours and with my history of failure to progress and fetal distress as well as my labour being preterm they didnt feel safe letting me continue to labour. My mom got to the hospital just after noon. My grandma came shortly after with Adrian. We took bets on Jaxton's weight, my mom guessed 5lbs, I guessed 5.5lbs, grandma guessed 6lbs , and Brenden guessed 6.5lbs. Around 1pm the nurse came in to let me know they had an emergency but the high risk OR was preped and waiting for me , she started my anti biotics.After that i had several people come in and introduce themselves and tell me they would be in the room while I delivered. At 2:20 the nurses came back and took me to the OR.
I walked in the huge doors which read "OR-HIGH RISK" thats when the panic kicked in. The room was bright white and I was told not to touch anything but the floor and the bed. I asked if , as long as everything was OK, I could have Jaxton in the recovery room with me and thats when the reality of having a preemie hit me. I was answered with "Dont expect everything to be perfect, I havnt seen a 35 weeker that didnt need to spend some time in the nursery" I dont remember much of what was in the room or how long it took to prep me because so many things wre racing through my head. I didnt know what to expect anymore , how big Jaxton would be , if I would hear him cry or if he would need oxygen, would he be sent by ambulance to the nearest "big city" hospital to be put in a real NICU, would he have to spend weeks in our hospitals "high risk" nursery. So many questions and so much worry. I didnt feel the spinal at all I just wanted Brenden to come in. Finally it was time to start surgery and Brenden walked through the doors all dressed in his scrubs.
I dont remember a whole lot from the birth itself and was so thankful that Brenden was taking video.Its was 3:04pm and I remember feeling alot of tugging and pushing which I never felt with Adrian because i had been so numb when I had him. I remember the shocked tone in my Dr's voice when he said he was big for a 35 weeker and I remember hearing my perfect little boy scream at the top of his lungs 2 seconds after Brenden told me he was out! I could do nothing but cry . I was so relieved and happy that Jaxton's lungs were good and he was not only able to breath on his own, he was fully capable of crying! My OB held him up for me to see and I will never forget how perfect he looked. The nurses took him over to the table and wiped him down and then they checked his weight , 7lbs 15.7oz!! Even they couldnt believe it! Thn he was gone and so was Brenden . I started to worry. When I asked my OB what was going on I was told everything was fine and Jaxton had gone to the high risk nursery to be assessed. I was hopeful that everything woud be OK and he would be brought to me in my room when I was out of recovery.When I got to the recovery room i was greeted by my mom , grandma , Adrians, Brenden, and my 2 brothers but no Jaxton. I found out that thy still had him in the high risk nursery in an incubator because he was having some rapid breathing. Brenden showed me some pictures he had taken and I just could believe how beautiful my new little baby was! My aunt and uncle came and saw m in the recovery room and brought me some tiny newborn size clothes. Before long everyone left and it was time for me to be taken to my ward room. The nurses were kind enough to bring me , bed and all, down to the nursery quickly so I could set me eyes on Jaxton properly for the first time. As soon as the dorrs opened and they wheeled my bed into the room one of the nurses asked "which one is baby Burshaw?" and before and of the nursery nurse could answer I pointed at one of the incubators and told them "he's in there!" , mothers instincts are an amazing thing, I was right! I got to look at him very briefly and watch his tiny chest heave up and down so very quickly before they wheeled me back out and took me to my room. I bawled my eyes out leaving him in there and i cried the whole way down the hall and even a while after I got to my room. Leaving my brand new baby was one of the hardes things I have ever had to do in my life.
The first night was very hard for me. I had a semi private room and the other woman in my room had had a c section and her baby was in the nursery as well. At 9:00pm when a nurse came in to check on me I asked to go down to see him. She told me if I could get up and walk the few steps to the wheel chair then I could go. As soon as I stood up my legs started shaking, I felt like I was going to fall but I was very detmined to get down to that nursery! I made it to the wheelchair and the room started spinning, by the time we were half way to the nursery i felt like I was going to be sick. I didnt want to say anything because i was so excited to finally get to see Jaxton properly. I was wheeled into the nursery and given a briefing of what had been going on. He had been fed a bottle of formula and did well, his blood sugar was good and he was keeping his temperature up. They took me over to his incubator and to my surprise they unhooked his heart monitor and passed him to me to nurse! My little boobie monster latched right on and had a good drink, I was so happy and so in love. All I could do was look at him and cry. I got permission to come back every 3 hours to feed but I had to top up with formula as it was very important that his blood sugar levels stayed up. I felt so empty when I got back to my room, no mother should ever hav to feel that way. I stayed up for the next 2 hours waiting for feeding time sniffing my hands because they smelled like him. I went down for the next feeding and everything happened much the same way. When I got back to my room this time though I fell asleep for the first time in over 48 hours. When I didnt get down to the nursery for the next feeding they sent nurses to my room to get me but Brenden tells me they couldnt wake me up. When I eventually did wake I was devastated and angry, feeding timee was the only time I got to see and hold my son and breastfeeding was so important to me, originally I didnt want him getting any formula at all. I refused to go to sleep after that because I was afraid they wouldnt wake me up if I was sleeping again.
May 8th was pretty hard for me physically. I tried to get a wheelchair to get down to the nursery every time but there wasnt always one available. Unfortunately for me my room was at the complete opposite end of the floor from the nursery and that made for a very long painful walk. I also spent alot of time sitting down in the nursery holding Jaxton and talking to him. I was really afraid he wouldnt know I was his mama if I didnt spend a much time as I possibly could with him. His day time nurse was amazing and she had no problem with me doing everything for him that I could like change diapers and get him in and out of the incubator. I even got to put him in real clothes! One thing I remember is always having to tuck the cord that wa attached to his foot for the heart monitor up his outfit and out through the neck apart, I couldnt stand that stupid cord it was so in the way! As of 1:00pm when he was almost 24 hours old he was taken out of his incubator for good and put into a regular old "termie crib" as he high risk nursery nurses put it. By the end of the day I was told he was doing amazing and there was a good chance I would be able to have him in my room with me at some point that night. Every time I went down for feedings I asked about getting to have him in my room and every time the night nurses put me off. Finally I told them that the pediatrician had told me I should be able to have him in my room. They looked through her notes and informed me that she seemed to have changed her mind as her notes said that it was a possibility after he had been assessed in the morning. It took everything I had in me not to break down and cry right then and there I was so upset. This is about the time I started to get angry with the lack of communication at the hosptal.
May 9th in the morning when I went in and the shifts had switched back to the day time staff I talked to Jaxtons nurse who seemed shocked that he was still in there. A couple of the nurses made comments like "youre back again? why isnt he in your room yet?" and "all of his tests have come back perfect hes really just taking up a bed!" I was very frustrated. How come if all of the nurses who cared for and watched him all day felt he was OK to be in my room with me , did the pediatrician feel he needed to stay in the nursery? The second feeding of the day Jaxton's nurse told me I could go ahead and bring him to my room for feedings and cuddles and I could just bring him back when I was done. I was very happy with this but it was also extremely difficult. After spending an hour and a half or more nursing, bottle feeding , burping , and cuddling , the last thing you want to do is bring your baby back and leave him again. My only hope in all this was that they would see how good he did and let me just keep him all the time. After getting my food sorted out (they didnt have me on the list for food so I hadnt eaten since I got there Monday night) My O.B came by and told me I was free to leave whenever Jax was discharged, I just couldnt wait to get my baby out of that hospital and have him be all mine! My grandma made plans with me to come and see him since she hadnt been able to hold him the day he was born, she was coming for 1:00pm when I was to pick him up for a feeding so she could have one on one time in our room. 1:00 came and we brought Jaxton to our room, GG (my grandma ) came and had her cuddles, we did our feeding , diaper change had some cuddles of our own and then brought him back down to the nursery. We were buzzed in and again I was in tears. After having him with me for over 2 hours I just couldnt stand bringing him back there ! Next thing I knew Jaxton's nurse was standing in the door way she told us we could bring him back to our room since the pediatrician want there yet and she had been pushing to have Jax assessed one last time so he could be discharged! She did give me the warning that the pediatrician might not let him stay in my room but she was going to do all she could.
Brenden and I were enjoying every last second having Jaxton with us, I finally felt at peace.
4:30pm came around and as my dinner tray was coming in my room phone rang. It was the nursery telling us we had to bring Jaxton back. I felt my chest tighten and my heart break, I just couldnt bare to have him away from me after having him in my room all afternoon. We left the food and made the trip to the other end of the floor to the nursery. As soon as we entered Jaxtons nurse rushed us in excitedly. The pediatrician was there and she had agreed to the discharge assessment! She let me "plead my case" and checked him all over for what felt like forever. Then she looked at me and said " he can stay with you until morning." My heart stopped for a minute and then I askedif i had to bring him back in the morning. She said "No you can take him home in the morning!" Well I must have had a smile bigger than the Cheshire Cats and without even thinking I gave her a huge hug and thanked her 1000 times. We got pictures of Jaxton with his nurse and then we left and never looked back. The whole way back to our room staff and patients alike were asking us if he finally got to stay with us and congradulated us when we told them "YES!"
Our first night with Jaxton was pretty uneventful other than a nurse coming in and jokingly asking us if we were smoking pot because a skunk had sprayed and the whole floor stunk (to which I got very offended and asked why on earth she would feel it was OK to make such a joke) Then before we knew it was morning and we were making plans to come home. My grandma came and got us at 1:00 and we stopped at my great grandmas house for a quick visit and the grocery store for diapers and soothers and then we stopped in at our appartment to get a picture of Jaxton in his home on his first day out of hospital. We still ended up staying with my grandma for almost another week and did alot of visiting , got the stomach flu and terrible colds, moved back into our appartment, and switched to exclusive breastfeeding all within the first 2 weeks home. Looking back it al seems like a distant memory but some of the after effects still remain. I dont put him down much or have him in a seperate room ever, I hoover when people hold him, im the only one who bathes him , dresses him , or changes his diaper, and he sleeps in bed with me. Writing this has been very hard but I wanted to share my experience and feelings and the wonderful story of my beautiful sons birth :)
1371598929704.jpg

Congrats. what an amazing weight for 35weeker. u must be very proud

Thank you for reading :) writing it has been somewhat of a healing process for me. Alot of tears went into it as i remembered every detail. I am so proud of him and and so in love :)

Finally got around to reading this with tears in my eyes. So heartbreaking reading of your experience with him in the SCN.

Congratulations on your new arrival! Handsome dude. :hugs:

https://pbr1127.photobucket.com/albums/l634/hakunamatata2012/Snapbucket/bnb/congratsbaby-1.gif

Thanks ladies :) I love him so much ! Time has really helped heal me and the love Jaxton shows me everyday makes the struggles in the begining completely worth it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->