Job hunt has really knocked my confidence

kmbabycrazy

Reaction score
So a bit of background - which I've written about a few times around the forum - I went back to uni a few years ago to get my degree to be able to do my dream job. However, going into that career would have involved moving as there are just no opportunities for it anywhere near where I live. Hubby was totally supportive about me doing it, but over the past year (when I was in the final year of my degree) he's changed his mind and now I'm here, with a degree that isn't of much use.

I have a part time job but we're struggling financially now my student loans have ran out and I've been applying left right and centre for jobs in both customer service and admin work since my exams finished in May as I have experience in both. I currently work as a receptionist/admin assistant, and have worked as so in the past and have worked in customer service. I must have applied for around 50 jobs. I have either not heard back from them at all, or had rejections from every single one. Not one interview. It has totally knocked my confidence and I feel like i'm never going to find anything.

I'm worried I will resent my husband for changing his mind if this goes on much longer, and to top it off. He is being made redundant in September. He has applied for one job and has got an interview for it. Already having confidence and anxiety issues, I am worried that this is going to get worse. I feel so down about it.

I don't know what advice I'm looking for. I just needed to rant and get it out.

Could you speak to someone for cv and interview advice? It sounds like it might be your cv that's not highlighting the relevant skills. There's some cv templates on reed. I used that and it seems to work for me although all my job applications have been internal.

I have had someone look at my CV. A couple of people actually. I had my uncle take a look as he hires a lot of people, and I also had a friend of my mum's who helps people with their CVs for a living. I have also used templates for cover letters etc. It doesn't seem to be helping though

Hmm that's strange. Could you ask the places for feedback?

I would but I'm not even hearing back from some places and some have said in their rejections that they don't offer feedback for those not shortlisted for interview

That's disappointing. What about going through agencies instead? Even temp work might lead to perm work. My job was supposed to be for 8 weeks and I'm still there10 years later! That was a temp job through an agency

I'm not sure how you couldn't not be resentful of your husband. He's holding you back, he's being made redundant, you've achieved something brilliant that could support your family and enable you to grow as a person but he's only thinking about himself. The situation would have me feeling pretty down also, you shouldn't be looking for any job, you should be applying for what you are qualified in and love. Sorry that's not at all helpful.

It's exactly how I feel right now though. Having a rather emotional night as he's gone out to get drunk with his pay whereas I can't make my part time paycheck stretch the month and whatever job I do get there's not going to be much opportunity for advancement around hereach so I'll end up with a similar not great wage the rest of my life always having to save like hell just to go on holiday once a year if that and probably nowhere great either when I've worked so hard to make something of myself

You have to live off of your own money? So he won't let you utilise your qualification to get to your earning potential, but then spends his own money while you struggle with what he technically lets you earn??? It's not right hun, not at all xx

I mean he pays towards the house and things but what i pay towards the house and towards the car (I'm the only one who drives it) i end up with nothing really.

He'll give me money for things we need such as kids uniforms, christmas presents etc but otherwise we pay the same amount into the house

So how often are you able to go out and enjoy yourself or spend money on just you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->