Job interview at 23 weeks

jessmke

Reaction score
I have an interview for a part time job (only one evening a week, it will be in addition to my full time job). In order to qualify for a paid maternity leave I am going to have to work until a week before my due date (I need to work 600 hours), and I am worried that I won't be able to. If I get extra hours then I will be able to take maternity leave earlier if I find I am unable to work. I am in Canada and I am not required to tell an employer that I am pregnant, and they are not legally allowed to not hire me because of my pregnancy. The problem is that I am a vet nurse, so there are several important parts of the job that I cannot do, such as take x-rays. I would really like to get an "in" at this clinic and could really use the extra hours, so I don't want to say anything about my pregnancy and I could hide it at the interview with strategic clothing, but then if I get the job I will have a super awkward first day when I have to tell them I am pregnant and can't do x-rays or anesthesia (unless they want to get me a respirator).

So my plan is to not say anything at the interview, and then wait until they offer the position to me (if they do). Once they make the offer then I will tell them I am pregnant and put the ball in their court. It would shift the awkwardness onto them, because if they rescind the job offer they are very obviously doing something illegal. But I am worried this will still leave a sour taste in their mouth about me.

Any suggestions on what I should do in this situation?

If you don't tell them it will definately give them a bad impression as your so far along it will be obvious you hid the pregnancy. Which mightn't be a good idea if you want to get "in" with the practice. Given the environment they may well appreciate your honesty. On the other hand if your just looking for a few months work before maternity it wouldn't do any harm to keep quiet.

Personally id tell them. I found out i was pregnant a week after an interview and told my new employer immediately, i think it psys to be honest then play to your strengths. Good luck x

I'd tell them...just don't think it would look good if you hid it and then obviously you would have to tell them...it doesn't seem honest, iykwim? On the other hand, if you tell them and they don't hire you, then you'll be wondering if you made the right decision. But I still think it's better to be honest in these situations.

I'd tell them now. Most of the time I would say keep quiet, as I have experience of losing a job due to being pregnant (which was illegal, but there was no proof). However in this case your pregnancy is stopping you from being able to do important parts of the job, so I can imagine it would make them really cross to feel tricked into offering you the job and then have to decide whether to rescind the offer and risk getting into trouble for breaking the rules. I wouldn't want to burn my bridges with the company if I was hoping for an in with them. It is hard, I can for sure see why you want to do what you can to get the job, but it sounds like it could backfire on you and that wouldn't be good!

I disagree with the responses and agree with the op. Hide it at the interview, but you're right, first day would be awkward and appear deceptive. So tell them when they offer you the position. This way it is in their court and you're being upfront and telling them before you start. That is perfectly reasonable!

Some employers honestly really don't hire you based on pregnancy so you absolutely don't want to tell them at the interview. I just got a new position, was fortunate that it was a phone interview, so I said nothing. I'm certain she knows based on a really passive aggressive email trying to guilt me into not accepting the position (I'm in a union so the position was rightfully mine based on experience and seniority). But she didn't want to give it to me likely because I'm pregnant, I think she found out during reference check. I still haven't told her, I'll email her and tell her before the school year starts so it's not an awkward first day. A friend of mine, also a teacher, was straight up told she wasn't being offered a position because she was pregnant.

If you tell them in the interview it is so so easy for them to not give you the job and they don't need any kind of excuse. Even in my teaching profession, where kids and family are supposed to come first, this has happened to me and a friend. And I'm also in Canada. You legally don't need to tell them so don't doubt yourself. I think your plan makes perfect sense and is still being honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->