"Jolting" heartbeat sensation?

Mamamumum

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any experience. I normally have low blood pressure (around 100/70 resting usually) and a fairly quick heart rate between 80-90 bpm. Later in pregnancy I usually get POTS (postural tachycardia, heart rate sky rockets and blood pressure drops dramatically). This is self diagnosed as the Gp wasn't a bit interested despite me not even being able to stand up in a queue for more than a couple of minutes without nearly passing out if I didn't sit down fastest enough.
Other than that I have no issues with my heart that I am aware of.
I'm not suffering with that, but I am getting a very unpleasant jolting feeling. Like when something makes you jump a little or when you miss a step and your heart sort of skips a beat? But it's happening at all random times, on and off all day but it's worst when I'm laying down to go to sleep. It makes getting to sleep really hard as it's such a horrible feeling.
Does anyone know what might be causing this and if it's something I need to get checked out? Or just a weird pregnancy thing?

I think I know what you're talking about. At random times my heart starts racing, like I just finished running or something. I could be just laying in bed, or making dinner.
There's been a few times that it's happened and I have had to sit down and catch my breath. I have looked into it online and it seems to be normal. I have meant to bring it up to my Ob but I keep forgetting. I'm 15 weeks tomorrow and I can't quite tell if it's gotten better or I have become used to it lol.
Either way, you're probably fine. It's the hormones and your body adjusting to increased blood volume and area to pump blood to.

I have had this both pregnant and not, in my case when pregnant its the first sign I need iron tablets so I would be tempted to get your iron levels checked. Otherwise its been down to stress/random event x I hope they calm down its very unpleasant!

Yes mama it sounds similar to what I had last time around but I was admitted to hospital under the cardiac team. Only stayed in a night but they monitored me and baby to see what it was and ended up being some kind of pregnancy arrhythmia. Not uncommon but they like to keep a eye. Mine disappeared after a couple of months, was apparently down to the extra volume of blood whilst pregnant. It's different to a heart racing, it feels almost like it stops for too long before doing an extra beat? Although it's likely to be nothing to worry about I think it's also something that needs to be looked at xx

I have this. I mentioned to my midwife and she said it's very common in pregnancy due to the extra blood flow. She said as long as there's no pain associated with it, not to worry.

I have this as well. Happens to me with every pregnancy. I've had heart scans and 24hr monitors on but they have always just put it down to a pregnancy thing for me. X

If you have POTS or think you do (it's super easy to diagnose with a sort of makeshift tilt test), this is likely something to do with that. I'm a researcher who studies POTS (no experience with it myself personally), but what you're describing sounds very much like what I've heard others describe. It can be almost like a weird really noticeable heart rhythm. But it can complicate pregnancy and you absolutely should be being monitored as it does carry potential pregnancy risks. I would find another GP or see a consultant privately (see the POTS UK website, they also have a fb group and there are some good consultants out there). Or speak to your midwife who should be able to refer to to see someone.

You should definitely get checked out. I'm sure it will be nothing but always best to be sure.

I thought arrhythmia, too. I have an irregular heartbeat when I'm not pregnant anyway, and when I get palpitations it feels pretty much like you describe; jolting. I'd discuss it with your Dr. or midwife to get referred on for some testing to be on the safe side.

Thanks everyone :) it's interesting seeing such a variation of experiences and different outcomes for what (to us) seems like the same symptom!
I saw the Dr yesterday so I did talk to her about it and she wasn't overly concerned but has arranged for me to have an ECG on Thursday just to make sure there is nothing untoward going on. So I'll see how that goes and update you guys :)

Yeah, I have that. I've put it down to palpitations, even though it's not a racing but more of a little pause where my heart doesn't beat and then it suddenly does a hard beat and back to normal. It's like...beat...beat...beat.........nah I'm not going to do it now.....only joking BEAT......
I hate it!! But it's pretty infrequent so I'm trying not to get stressy about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->