Just been diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes

MummyM86

Reaction score
Just the cherry on the cake for me these past few weeks. Just had a letter through from the hospital saying Ive to go to a GD clinic next week.

Anyone else had this? Any tips etc? Do i need to worry etc?

It's not a big deal, don't worry. I had it last pregnancy, and while I haven't had my GTT yet, I'm sure I'll have it this time too. A change in diet and a few extra scans are pretty much what you can expect from diagnosis of GD. Mine was medicated so I also had a lot of non-stress tests and what not towards the end. I ended up getting induced at 39 weeks because it was so much to deal with but I wouldn't have needed too. My son was a perfect 7lbs 1oz and my placenta was in great condition. As long as you keep your blood sugars down, there's nothing to worry about.

Just what the previous poster said. I had it with both of my first pregnancies. My first I failed the test at 27 weeks and second they tested me until I failed at 36 weeks lol Basically they will go over diet and nutrition with you. Tell you things you can eat that won't spike your blood sugar. With both of mine they gave me a monitor to test my own blood sugar after meals and had me record them so they could make sure they aren't too high at each appointment. It sounds more complicated than it is. As long as you follow their diet plan, you will be fine. I also found exercising helps a ton.Even a walk every day and if you are really ambitious, take a short walk after each meal and when you take your blood sugar, it's likely to be lower than if you don't. Exercising helps regulate that. Anyway, don't worry or stress about this. My kids were 7 lbs, 6 oz and 6 lbs 12 oz and both were induced at 39 weeks as well although they didn't need to be either. :) it's also fun to have a high carb something you can look forward to eating right after birth. With my first I wanted a meatball sub and dh got it for me after I had baby. I believe with my second it was cake and ice cream Haha I am assuming I'll get it again this pregnancy as well but already adjusted my diet for it for the most part and exercising. It helps a ton and I tried to tell myself my other pregnancies is that it keeps me from eating so much junk anyway so healthier me and baby in the end :hugs:

I had it with my first pregnancy, and I am walking a fine line with it this time. Switched to a low carb, low sugar, high protein diet and got a bit more active. I did fine. I checked my levels before and 2 hours after every meal.

I was devastated the first time around. but I have been there done that, so I am managing better this time. I was tested at 16 weeks and failed my 1 hour glucose test. My doctor and I discussed and I am managing just fine, with normal sugars when I test once a week. I will have to go retake the 1 hour glucose test in a few weeks to retest.

It's no fun. But it is really easy to handle.

I had it with my first and it was controlled by diet. While it does suck not being able to have a big bowl of ice cream or a huge piece of cake. It's not that bad. As long as you watch you carb intake and try go exercise after you eat.

Just the cherry on the cake for me these past few weeks. Just had a letter through from the hospital saying Ive to go to a GD clinic next week.

Anyone else had this? Any tips etc? Do i need to worry etc?

I had this with dd...it sucks and it annoying but not the end of the world. You just need to be extra careful with diet...although I was really bad myself...I tried but I was always cheating...DD is happy and healthy :kiss:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->