Just bite your tongue!

DarlingMe

Reaction score
A girl I used to work with posted a pic of her 8 month old in a forward facing car seat today. A few months ago her sister posted a video of her 3.5 year old in the car, car in motion, no car seat or booster, or seat belt! I asked her where the LOs car seat was, of course she didnt respond. Debating on asking about the 8 month old but I won't..... It just makes me mad that people are so ignorant!

Eta: In the US different car seats & different laws. Children must face the back until atleast one year, recommended 2.

:hugs:. I have trouble biting my tongue in situations like that as well. I had a friend pick me up at my house the other day and she had her 3 month old in the front seat of the car in a rear facing car seat. I said, "so do you just turn off the airbags?" and she said "No. I can't turn them off in this car. It is just easier for me to have him in the front. Maybe I'll put him in the backin the winter because winter driving in more dangerous" :dohh: I just nodded because I didn't know what to say. I would NEVER have my baby in the front seat of a car with airbags. 'On a completely random note, my DH and I were watching Family Guy and Stewie was in a forward facing car seat in the front seat. That really pissed me off lol.

He is always up there isn't he! I never thought about it. I hope Brian turns the airbag off! I can't believe you would risk your child's life for the sake of convenience! Is it that big of a deal to get the seat out of the back or pull over when they cry if you need to? You should have thrown a fit about sitting inthe back and made her move the seat! :haha:

How big is your friend's baby. The age at which baby goes from group 0 to group 1 is approximately 9 months but its weight and height that is particularly important. Isobel is 7.5 months and is heavy and long for her age, at this rate I don't think she'll last till 9 months.

The child with no safety measures whatsoever is obviously not good, but I think you might be jumping the gun on the 8 month old forward facing.

How big is your friend's baby. The age at which baby goes from group 0 to group 1 is approximately 9 months but its weight and height that is particularly important. Isobel is 7.5 months and is heavy and long for her age, at this rate I don't think she'll last till 9 months.

The child with no safety measures whatsoever is obviously not good, but I think you might be jumping the gun on the 8 month old forward facing.

this ^^^

like the PP said, it goes on weight not age, 9kg for FF car seats x

this ^^^

^^ this is my reply too my LO is only 5 months but is almost 10kg there no way she is going to last in her infant carrier till she is 9months :-/ shes a big girl she is so tall aswell she is in 9-12 month olsd clothing sometimes too

My son is only 6 months old but in weight and height is ready for the next size car seat. We are getting ERF but if we weren't then I guess he would be going forward facing in the next couple of weeks :shrug:

My lo nearly 7 months nearly 9kg we'll be changing seats before xmas so perhaps I'll get her a T-shirt made "i am the right weight and height for this car seat before you start on my mum"

this ^^^

I think OP is in USA in which case the age limit is 2 i think.

In the US, where OP is from, a baby legally must be rear facing until age 1 and be at least 20 pounds. The AAP recommends rear facing until at least age 2.

What annoys me is that there is not enough education or availability on ERF car seats in this country so people have no clue that they are putting their LO at risk!

I was speaking to another mum at swimming today and she was excusing the fact that her 9 month LO was in a rear facing car seat (as if she was doing something wrong!) and it's the only time she uses it to keep her LO somewhere while getting ready after swimming. she knew he was no where near the max weight for the seat but said his legs hang over the edge :shrug:

What's the rules for the UK? I've been wondering about this lately..

We've got to get the next stage carseat for Louis soon and I've made the decision to ERF too. I've found there's not much info/choice in the UK though, which is crap.

ooh, interesting, I didn't realise the rules were different in the US. Fatboy has been forward facing for months (I know, I know), but I guess there must be more ERF seats available in the US if the laws are different?

ooh, interesting, I didn't realise the rules were different in the US. Fatboy has been forward facing for months (I know, I know), but I guess there must be more ERF seats available in the US if the laws are different?

There are loads more ERF seats over there and they are also LOADS cheaper than here.

In our state not only is it recommended to rear face until one, but it is illegal to forward face. US has different car seats than UK. many seats range from 8 lbs to 40 lbs in the same seat so restrictions are different.

You can get a cheap seat for around $50 I think. A good one around $150, and a very "safe" one around $300. Those will work birth to around 30-40 rear facing. Then up to 65lbs modified with some belts adjusted and parts moved forward until 65 lbs or so.

Infant seats come with a base and the seat itself. Base stays in the car & seat comes in.
I think these go to 25 lbs. And range $100-$250.

There are also seats that go from 30 lbs to 65lbs too. But keeping a LO in the infant seat for that long is too small. Most people buy atleast the first seat I mentioned & Many use the infant carrier style until a year or so.

I just posted and asked if she was a year already, playing stupid. Will see what she says, if she mentions the kegs hitting the back or anything. Maybe I will inbox her an article or something... Idk why the manufacturers do not educate peoPle better. It would increase safety of their products!

Tell her to check her carseat laws in her state. In NJ it's forward facing at one year and 20 pounds. Children need to be harnessed in car seat or booster until 8 years or 80 pounds.

Valid reason is car seat violation tickets are expensive! $200 - $300 per violation depending on state. My brother's coworker was stupid enough to have her baby sitting on her friend's lap. They went past a police officer and the ticket was over $300. Plus they were told future violations could get them charged with child endangerment/neglect.

So if your friend wonders why you're asking. You can say you're worried about how much money it could cost her.

What's the rules for the UK? I've been wondering about this lately..

RF until the baby is 9kg, which they say is around 9 months old, but they recommend as long as you can. dont put child in front seat unless the air bag as been disabled, but it is safer to keep baby in the back x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->