Just Found out! Now stressing over working out :(

xakikox

Reaction score
I'm so excited to be pregnant, yet very stressed over what I can or cannot do as a workout. I normally do a lot of weight lifting, but haven't been doing that for a couple of days. I think between that and the stress, I haven't been sleeping well either :/

What are your workout routines? Are you/did you keep up with it? How heavy are you lifting? What should I avoid? HRM?

Sorry for so many questions. First time pregnant:)

it all depends on your doctor's advisory based on your health history and current health condition because our bodies are all different. for instance, some women who have had alot of complications in previous pregnancies are advised to discontinue things that others can continue to do simply because they dont want to increase the risk of another complication occurring(no matter what caused it). alot of coworkers told me to stop my heavy lifting (thats all i did at my job) because its a crucial stage in pregnancy when you're in 1st trimester so i immediately stopped lifting over 20 pounds, and eventually my doctor gave me a note for work so that they can't make me lift over 20 pounds. this is common for most pregnant women as ive been lifting heavy items and moving them all day at work for 2 years. i really didnt want to risk anything even if the chance was low.

the best workout in my opinion and other pregnant women's (as i meet them in the real world they give me great advice from their experiences) that walking is the best exercise.

I have been going to the gym regularly for a year to help me lose weight. I was doing weights, body pump, step, rowing and a lot of ab work.

I was told that I could continue most of it until bump got too big, but to lay off the ab work.

To be honest I have only been to the gym once in 12 weeks because of extreme sickness. As soon as it passes I will be back to my cardio work and starting aquanatal.

There is a lot of conflicting advice online so I would speak to the midwife and ask their opinion :flower:

Do what feels right. I think its very individual.

I carried on running this time and it felt fine, but have just developed a subchorionic hematoma (heavy bleeding) so am on full rest. I won't go back to running now until baby's born.
I do plan to resume plenty of walking and body weight strength training if/when the bleed resolves!

I'm so excited to be pregnant, yet very stressed over what I can or cannot do as a workout. I normally do a lot of weight lifting, but haven't been doing that for a couple of days. I think between that and the stress, I haven't been sleeping well either :/

What are your workout routines? Are you/did you keep up with it? How heavy are you lifting? What should I avoid? HRM?

Sorry for so many questions. First time pregnant:)

First time pregnant here too and also a workout junky. :)

My doctor told me not to lift anything too heavy but said I could carry on with everything else I was doing before (aside from Bikram yoga because of the heat). This is not the time to set new exercise goals but carrying on as usual is okay I think - I've seen photos of very pregnant crossfit girls lifting massive weights.

Plus the stronger your body is the more equipped it will be to handle the biggest "fitness challenge" of all - labor.

I played tennis till 8 months pregnant. I mainly stopped because it got way too hot in the summer.

You need to do what feels right to you. I work out in a group so I cant quite go on my own speed then everyone would know. If I had a membership to a regular gym I would have gone the last 12 weeks and taken it easy. But in my case I go at a certain time and we all do the same exercises. I really love it. I decided not to go until I am over the 12 weeks or after my 12 week scan and then I can tell people and take it a little easier. Also I havent had the energy or the need to go.

But 12 weeks scan tomorrow and on thursday they call if something is wrong so I plan on start going to the gym again on saturday and then go like 2-3 times a week :)

Good luck to you and congratulations on your little one :)

like many others have said its not a time to take up anything new but its fine to carry on what your body is used to, maybe just adapt a few exercises and be very wary of body heat/heart rate during cardiovascular activities
or if you do free weights try the machine alternative if possible it takes away the lifting and putting down of the weights element.
Keeping fit and healthy is paramount during pregnancy can help prepare you for your labour by improving endurance and also help with any weight loss you feel is necessary afterwards.
im lucky enough to have a personal trainer ( all be it hes more stressed and worried than me ) as my OH but maybe speak to your fitness centre to see if anyone has a special interest in pregnancy and post pregnancy fitness

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->