• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Just how bad is egg collection?

LouiseB

Reaction score
I never really thought i was concerned with hospitals and things but i'm feeling a bit anxious about the egg collection part of IVF and i just wanted some real life experiences?

I don't want to be unconscious and naked from the waist down, so i'd have to have a local anesthetic.

I'm good with pain and gore and things, but them stabbing through my vaginal wall isn't a nice thought.

How was it for you?

Hi Louise,

It was fine for me but I went for the unconscious option as I'm a wimp with pain.

They say to rest for 24 hours and I took it easy but I felt fine pretty much straight afterwards. I'm very relaxed about going through it again this week.

H xx

Oh?

Good luck with it then :)

Is it painful having all the developed follicles tightly packed in your abdomen?

I was partially under - and I had a lot of pain (which could have been due to the amount of eggs removed and the ohss that I had). Next time I have it I am asking for the maximum amount of meds possible.

I hated the experience and dread doing it again. But many many many girls on here seem to have had good experiences (no pain).

I was partially under - and I had a lot of pain (which could have been due to the amount of eggs removed and the ohss that I had). Next time I have it I am asking for the maximum amount of meds possible.

I hated the experience and dread doing it again. But many many many girls on here seem to have had good experiences (no pain).

I thought id respond since im sure you would prefer people to be honest.... it was HELL! Both times! The first time I only had 8 follicles. I was given a tablet which i took 15 mins before the procedure and a rectal pessary. When i got in there i was naked from the waist down and they covered my legs with green sheets. I had to have 4 injections inside my vagina which were really painful and took my breath away and then they started the procedure and OMG....it was worse than giving birth for me and im not joking in the slightest. The needle then failed and they had to replace it. I bled afterwards minimally for a few hours.

The second time I had 7 follicles and knew what to expect and so it was worse... I started hyperventilating before they even started and was told to calm down or they couldnt continue. The male doctor was really rough and with every stab i was pushed back in the chair, OH said blood was spraying all over him and I was crying and in so much pain. I bled really badly afterwards and in the end had to wear a pad for 3 days! I lost a lot of blood which scared me.

The third time I had 10 follicles and insisted on Pethidine but although i still had to have the 4 injections i didnt have the tablet or pessary. I felt woozy although completely awake but it pacified the pain and made it much more bearable. I hate the injections let alone the procedure itself. I think its awful personally! :hugs:

Yeah, i do appreciate honesty thanks :)

Your very welcome, If i was you (but its not my decision) i would get knockerd clean out! :haha: I must admit though im not the worlds best with pain and i feel it badly (although that male doctor would have hurt anyone i think!) MOST people dont have the experience I've had (except Blue!) so try not to worry. I think if you can stay relaxed its better but i eventually grew a huge fear of it and it really started to affect me. I still relive the pain now in my head and thats not normal. They are a bit barbaric in Holland and seem to like you being in pain! They dont even give you gas and air here for child birth although they will give you an epidural if requested! Good luck, im sure it will be nothing like mine anyway! :hugs:

Id personally be knocked right out.then youre in and out of theatre with not too much stress.i was knocked out for all mine thankfully.id hate beung awake for somethin like that.id rather use my energy healin afterwards than cryina nd fightin in theatre.gl

I'm not the sort to freak out like that - as long as the sensation is controlled and i know what is going on.

Does it compare at all to the dentist drilling? Someone made that comparison.

Honestly I've done it 3 times now under sedation and it's been absolutely fine. In fact (I've quite enjoyed it:blush:) It just feels really dreamy and kinda nice. Strange I know. Also if you aren't completley under you don't have that yucky feeling of coming round. I've had GA twice before for operations but would pick sedation over it every time now.

I should point out I'm a COMPLETE WUSS and even have temazepan for ET as I found it painfl, so for me to say EC is fine is a big deal!

Hi
My experience of egg collection was very vague as I was totally asleep, very dis-orientated for hours after. Worse for me was putting the eggs back, that was sooooo painful for me and I really thought I couldnt let the doctor finish. I have only had 1 IVF and would try anything before having another a go.
I have recently had 6 sessions of Acupuncture and after 4 years of trying with no BFP I am now pregnant. It is early days but I am totally convinced this result is through the Acupuncture. We are estatic and overjoyed at the mere fact I can physically GET pregnant. If anyone hasnt tried it, have a go.......I know it might not work for everyone but it is safe, non-invasive and pain free!!!
Hope this helps someone as I know how desperate eveyone is.
Good Luck xx

Sammy...you crack me up LOL.

I guess I fall somewhere in the middle. They never offered to fully knock me out...I don't think it was an option. I was high as a kite during the EC. I felt everything ...they did give me something for pain so I'm sure it would have been more painful had I not gotten it. So basically..i felt super goofy and then felt the needle, super goofy, then the needle, and so on. I had tears rolling down my face but it was nothing unbearable. I think I was crying A) because it hurt and B) becuase it's a new pain....I've never felt it before so it was kind of shocking. It's not that bad and when it's over there's no more pain. I had cramping for two days but nothing worse than a bad AF cramp. It's all so exciting! Good luck xo

I'm not the sort to freak out like that - as long as the sensation is controlled and i know what is going on.

Does it compare at all to the dentist drilling? Someone made that comparison.

Do not even get me started on dentist drilling.... i am on the verge of passing out even THINKING about that! :sick:

My Dr. knocked me out for the procedure and I am so glad they did. I had 19 eggs collected and couldn't imagine being awake for it. After I woke up and on the car ride home, I felt really nauseaus from the meds. After I got home, I basically slept for the rest of the day. I took the following day off of work but really should have taken the next two days off as I was very sore for about 2 days following the procedure. I think everyone is different though. I hope you have a good experience.

I was told I'd be sedated for egg collection, I'm a bit nervous about it though, I was also told take about 10 mins total for the collection?? I'm not nervous about anything else except this part of IVF. I just came to terms with it by thinking if we want a baby this is what is going to happen...lol

i had a local anesthetic.
im not being a hero but i honestly didn't think it was too bad - i had a lovely surgical team who told me everything as it happened and i watched it all on the screen so i think that really helped.
the first part was like a smear then a weird stabby sensation when the needle went in. i was sore afterwards and just lay down for the rest of the day - not too much bleeding.
as crystal443 said ' I just came to terms with it by thinking if we want a baby this is what is going to happen...' and i completely agree. only people who have been through ivf know how hard it is physically and emotionally but it is completely worth it.
good luck ladies - message me if you want, i may not know everything but i will try to help.
x

Hey Louise

My EC was fantastic!

I was such a huge bunch of nerves and so scared about having a GA - i was out for just over 20 mins, woke up and the first thing i asked was how many eggs i got! EC was done and dusted by 9.30, discharged by midday and home by 1 - i was doing housework by 2pm and could have easily gone back to work! Slight cramping cured by a paracetamol! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->