Just on my birthing ball and...

L

LilMiss_91

I feel so relaxed and comfortable I'm almost worried about falling asleep and sliding off :haha: it provides so much relief from the pain in my hips and pelvis. Blisssss.
Anyone else find this problem?!

YES!!!!!

i love my birthing ball, its amazing relief from SPD! I had one with my DD too and i loved it! It really helped when i was in labour too as i could kneel on the floor and lean on the ball or sit on the ball and rest my head and arms on the bed.

Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one! I thought I was odd!

It really is. I haven't felt this comfy since the spd started up a few weeks ago so it's such a relief.
This thing is definitely gonna be my labour buddy :D problem is, I probably won't want to get off to actually give birth!

you could always put the ball up against the wall and lean on it in a squatting position for giving birth ;)

i've had SPD this time round from about 12 weeks and the only thing thats even remotely helped has been my ball, i sit on it to do everything! putting the washing on the airer's, watching tv, eating dinner, ironing (when i rarely get time to do it!) I'm on my ball so much that my DD who's 2.5 sits on her football the same way that i sit on my ball sometimes, we have loads of fun bouncing on them haha

Good idea! I might give that a go. If I don't get my water birth that is, which I'm not counting on!

Blimey, that's rotten luck to have it for such a long time. Although I know I'm quite lucky to have it start so late. Have you tried a maternity belt? It's kind of like a knee/elbow support to strap around under your bump to relieve some of the pressure on your pelvis. I recently got one and it hasn't fixed the problem but it's definitely helped :)

I love my ball! I don't know if I could fall asleep on it though! I find it always keeps me in motion! It was a godsend with #2 in labor when they wouldn't let me out of bed, I just put the ball on the bed and laid over it!

Why wouldn't they let you out of bed? That sounds like my worst nightmare!

try this little exercise and let me know if it helps!

1. stand about a foot or so away from a chair (that's facing you) with your feet in parallel.

2. Lean forward making sure to hinge at the hips (not round the lower back); the sitz bones lift and reach out and up toward the ceiling (hello hamstring stretch!). Bring your palms onto chair.

3. Keeping both legs straight, shift your pelvis to the left and then the right, back and forth a few times. Make sure that you don't 'swing' your pelvis from left to right (the waist should stay long). Think of your hips moving from side to side like a typewriter.

I've never had a client with SPD, so I haven't been able to test this little exercise out. Let me know if it's a keeper! :thumbup:

It was HORRIBLE!!! I had PROM with no contractions and the resident kept shooting her mouth off about cord prolapse, which was a giant load of bunk as the baby was completely engaged and there was no room for the cord to 'slip by'.:growlmad:

Do they help with back ache? Mines getting worse by the day

i've only known it given in the context of SPD, but you could try it! To be honest, I don't quite understand the mechanics behind it and what is actually going on with the public symphysis when you do the motion.

BUT, what kind of back pain are you having? general low back pain or SI joint pain (one-sided pain)? for the former, it would help to stretch the low back and hamstrings. for the latter, well...that's an alignment issue and tricky to fix when you've got the relaxin hormone flooding through your pelvis causing laxity in your ligaments.

and that's all assuming you directed that question to me and not a general Q about the birthing ball!!! :) though now that i think about it, you probably meant it as a more general Q about the birthing ball.

It was HORRIBLE!!! I had PROM with no contractions and the resident kept shooting her mouth off about cord prolapse, which was a giant load of bunk as the baby was completely engaged and there was no room for the cord to 'slip by'.:growlmad:

That sounds absolutely awful :( sorry you had to go through that hun. I almost get into an anxiety attack just at the thought of being made to give birth on a bed, on my back so goodness knows how that made you feel!
Sounds like you had a horrible resident. If you get her again I would *rudely* ask for another! :haha:

I think they can help with most aches and pains tbh. For spd I found a slow swinging motion from side to side helps, but a slow circular motion (moving from the hips in quite big circles) feels nice for my back. I don't actually have much back pain but it helps stretch and flex the back muscles so if it's tightening and knotting that's the problem it might help :)

i've only known it given in the context of SPD, but you could try it! To be honest, I don't quite understand the mechanics behind it and what is actually going on with the public symphysis when you do the motion.

BUT, what kind of back pain are you having? general low back pain or SI joint pain (one-sided pain)? for the former, it would help to stretch the low back and hamstrings. for the latter, well...that's an alignment issue and tricky to fix when you've got the relaxin hormone flooding through your pelvis causing laxity in your ligaments.

and that's all assuming you directed that question to me and not a general Q about the birthing ball!!! :) though now that i think about it, you probably meant it as a more general Q about the birthing ball.

It's just general lower back pain.
I shall try the stretching as it seems to getting worse :0(

this stretch is really gentle and nice:

lie down on your back with your knees bend and feet flat on the mat. rock your pelvis back so that your low back gently falls to floor creating zero space between you and the floor. Go back to beginning position and do as many times as feels good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->