just read my homebirth/hospbirth leaflet :-0

milkmachine

Formally uv
Reaction score
i have just read through the leaflet given to me by my midwife with my homebirth paper work and it basically imply s that home birth isnt safe, your more open to infection and you wont get a midwife out if two women happen to want a home birth at the same time. it also says 'there is still not enough research to say for sure which is safer hospital or home birth' there was a study done in 2009 that states clearly that there is no greater risk to give birth at home. the leaflet was written in 2003,surely they shouldnt be allowed to give out such outdated info. if i didnt know better this would have put the wind right up me!!! maybe thats the idea?!

And this is a leaflet given to those who choose a homebirth? Sorry, but I am going to go conspiracy nut and say 'well, of course not; there isn't as much money making in a homebirth.' Let them know your feelings on the leaflet and mention that it is outdated and they should update it to reflect up to date studies...and you found it quite rude as you have made an informed decision based on unbiased information.

i assume so, i dont know if i would have been given it any way or not. We have the NHS over here so its not about money making, although their resources are over stretched being state/taxpayer funded. I have the name of the supervisor of midwives scribbled on the leaflet along with all the points that made me narkey lol. I will see a midwife on thurs regarding homebirth stuff anyway so will approach the subject with her then.

cant believe they are allowed to give out such outdated info

I would say its probably so you change your mind! Idiots :growlmad: x

Hi

thats shocking; the leaflet they give here is extremely positive and encouraging and says there is no reason why any low risk woman shouldn't go for a homebirth....

Soph

That's really bad practice! Would you consider writing to them stating how it made you feel along with a list of errors? They'll probably pay you some lip service if you tell them in person but it might not result in any change unless you put it in writing. I'm just a bit of a cynic when it comes to things like this- I don't believe change will happen unless it's forced, especially with the cuts going on at the moment.

You don't have to take this battle on of course, but if you have the energy and are suitably annoyed it may help someone a little less informed being swayed to make a choice based on bad information further down the line. :)

Gina. x

Shocking! I thought we were very good at encouraging Home Birth over here. My midwife almost bullied me into it! :mrgreen:

it also mentions epidural at least three times, is that really ness?! i will be writing to the supervisor of midwives when im not pregnant and can give it more focus

Mine isnt bad but the research is from 1991 apparently :dohh:

Also says the same as yours that there is not enough research bla bla :dohh: My MW was positive though.

the midwives are being ok after a bit of a slow start support wise. mostly due to my history/bpd.... i cant fathom why they are allowed to used such old stats etc. the hilarious thing is my hospital has now introduced a monthly birth quota so if too many births are expected in one month mothers will be sent elsewhere, its a prime time to promote homebirth! https://www.mk-news.co.uk/News/Hospital-puts-a-quota-on-births.htm

Its pretty mental... i guess though they are just covering their backs as they think that HBs are really bad :shrug:

I haven't been given a leaflet at all but I have been told that if there is another homebirth going on I will have to go into hospital as they don't have enough staff for 2 home births (they send 2 MWs out) my MW seems pretty sure this won't happen though. I'm a little disappointed as my sister has been encouraged by her MW to have a homebirth (something she won't do, her MW also seems quite pro BFing from what my sister has said) and mine just seems to act as though they are having to go out of their way to accomodate me.

If you're booked for a home birth they should come out to you even if there is another woman in labour at home at the same time. They may have to call in staff from on call/other units but they are obligated to provide you with midwifery care and if they have agreed to a home birth, then this should be at home.

When this happened to someone I know and they said they couldn't send anyone as the midwives were already out she just told them not to worry, she'd call a local independent midwife and send them the bill. They found two very lovely midwives to come out to her birth pretty quickly after that. :winkwink:

There is much more info and support on what to do if this happens on the homebirth site: www.homebirth.org.uk.

Gina. x

I haven't been given a leaflet at all but I have been told that if there is another homebirth going on I will have to go into hospital as they don't have enough staff for 2 home births (they send 2 MWs out) my MW seems pretty sure this won't happen though. I'm a little disappointed as my sister has been encouraged by her MW to have a homebirth (something she won't do, her MW also seems quite pro BFing from what my sister has said) and mine just seems to act as though they are having to go out of their way to accomodate me.

i have become incredibly stubborn and if this actually happened to me they would get a fat two fingers. i am fully prepared to give birth on my own. if they are that short staffed theyll just have to get their supervisor of midwifes out of bed to attend ;-)
The midwife that delivered faith was independent and is on the team of bank staff for my local hospital, i secretly hope they are over stretched horribly so i get her again she was wonderful and there is no way id ever beable to have her attend in a private arrangement.

Milkmachine - I'm in the same boat. We had a lovely independent midwife last time and it was fabulous. This time she's not an option as we've moved to a new area but regardless, the money just isn't there this time. I have to admit the prospect of giving birth under the NHS does scare me now. I've had a perfect birth and there are so many ways the NHS can make it not so perfect this time. Bah.

Good luck to you (again). :)

Gina.

They use outdated stuff all the time.

When i was pg in 2007, the NHS (north middlesex hospital) gave me a pregnancy info book from the 80's. I think the antenatal videos are that old too...!

I'm shocked! What an absolutely ridiculous pamphlet to give out! There's been plenty of research in the past few years to suggest that homebirth with a trained care provider present is just as SAFE as hospital birth.... And alot of the research also shows that infection rates are LOWER in those her have homebirths because they already have immunity against the germs in their own homes while they don't have immunity against everyone elses germs in hospitals! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

If they're gonna try to talk people out of homebirth they should refer to the actual risks eg transport time to hospital in the rare situation of a true emergency instead of making false statements!

Or even better... Why not provide clients with an informed choice document outlining the benefits and disadvantages to homebirth using only evidence based information so they can make their own educated decision..... There's a thought!!!!

It's different here in Canada. Here most people don't use a midwife, but an ob and thus they have to have a hospital birth. I'm using a midwife but having a hospital birth as I'm not comfortable with a home birth (and my dh is terrified about the idea). This being said, as late as my 37 week appointment the midwife was still saying I could still have a homebirth if I wanted. It's nice to know that regardless of my decision I'd be supported by my midwife.

your more open to infection

That's funny, here in NL they say that you are LESS open to infection at home, hospitals are germy places! And we even have a very low rate of superbugs here, unlike the UK!

I do find the cultural differences so fascinating. Home births are very common here, so much so that they even told us what to do if the baby should happen to come very quickly and the midwife isn't there yet. Also our prenatal classes here are much longer and more detailed (mine was 6 weeks with 2 hours per week and then one week with 4 hours), not covering baby care at all, totally about pregnancy, labour and birth.

your more open to infection

That's funny, here in NL they say that you are LESS open to infection at home, hospitals are germy places! And we even have a very low rate of superbugs here, unlike the UK!

I do find the cultural differences so fascinating. Home births are very common here, so much so that they even told us what to do if the baby should happen to come very quickly and the midwife isn't there yet. Also our prenatal classes here are much longer and more detailed (mine was 6 weeks with 2 hours per week and then one week with 4 hours), not covering baby care at all, totally about pregnancy, labour and birth.

this is my point its your not open to more infection it has been widely publicized but the nhs are using out of date flyers with out of date information on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->