just read st about people with negative bloodtype and MC

dsbeH

Reaction score
Has anyone heard that you need to get sometime of shot or something if you have a negative blood type? what does that mean?

A woman is at risk when she has a negative Rh factor and her partner has a positive Rh factor. This combination can produce a child who is Rh positive. While the mother's and baby's blood systems are separate there are times when the blood from the baby can enter into the mother's system. This can cause the mother to create antibodies against the Rh factor, thus treating an Rh positive baby like an intruder in her body. If this happens the mother is said to be sensitized.

A sensitized mother's body will make antibodies. These antibodies will then attack an Rh positive baby's blood, causing it to breaking down the red blood cells of the baby and anemia will develop. In severe cases this hemolytic disease can cause illness, brain damage and even death.

Rh immunoglobulin (RhIg) is a blood product given via injection to help the Rh negative mother by "minimizing her reaction to the Rh positive red cells. Reactions to the medication are generally minor, including soreness at the injection sight and sometimes a slight fever.

Since a small number of unsensitized women may have problems with the end of pregnancy, many practitioners recommend that she be given an injection of RhIg (also known as Rhogam) at 28 weeks gestation, to prevent the few cases of sensitization that occur at the end of pregnancy. Each dose of RhIg lasts about 12 weeks. The mother will also be given RhIg within 72 hours of birth if the child is Rh positive. The baby's blood type can be determined easily after birth by cord blood samples.

(got this off of a website, it was pretty easy to understand. hope this helps.)

thank you so much! but im confused, so any woman who is a negative blood type and miscarries should get this checked out? I dont know if my husband is positive...

I have 0 neg and my OH is positive -- I did not have an anti-d injection after my mc at 7-8wks in August 2009, but I later asked my GP to confirm via a blood test that I was ok (I was); usually, they don't give anti-d prior to 10-11wks (sometimes 12wks); in this pregnancy, I had some cervical bleeding and they did give me an anti-d injection at 14wks (am 25wks today) and will have another injection at 28wks and at birth...

I have never heard of rhesus negative causing a problem in a second pregnancy following an early mc (pre-10wks), but you could ask your doctor to run a blood test to check your anti-rhesus levels, if you are worried...

(Incidentially, my mum is o neg and my dad is positive and she had two pregnancies back in the 1960s before the injections and had no problems, if that helps as well)...

best wishes

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"