Just really looking for opinions?

kaylynn040485

Mummy to two girls
Reaction score
Now Jessica is only 13wks and im well aware that at the earliest LO's arent supposed to be weaned until at the ealiest 4mnths but preferably 6 but looking for thoughts or advice please.

Jessica has slept through since 3wks old, not even one night has she woken up. Now the past few days she is wakening, not loads but once or twice a nights and as soon as she is fed she is out for the count. Yeaterday i tried adding in an extra feed and gave her 7oz each feed rather than 6oz which she took but last night again she woke up and i feel like even after every bottle she isnt settled, she is really restless and would keep taking more and more.

She is also doing the whole watching us eating, even sometimes smacking her lips together. Drooling loads at the same time lol! Her weight gain is really slowing too, she has only gained 2lb in 4wks although at birth she was 7lb10 and she is now 13lb6. And the biggest thing ive noticed is absolutely everything is being put in her mouth, her hands never leave!

Now im well aware that your not supposed to wean but i dont know what else to do, wot other options are there? She is just so unsettled all the time and i know the milk just isnt satisfying her. I dont want to risk my baby being weaned early and it causing her problems but wot else can i do? I scared to even speak to h/v about it coz i know she will jump down my thoat! Kx

Byron watched us eat from a very young age. He also had his hands in his mouth a lot. We weaved a week or two before 6 months. If I recall rightly there is another growth spurt around 14 weeks I think. I would persevere and give bigger feeds for now.

To me it sounds more like teething. She could be waking because she is hurting OR that could be a growth spurt. But drooling, putting everything in her mouth sounds more like teething. I really don't think watching you eat is a good sign for starting solids because babies always watch and mimic, doesn't necc mean they are ready you know? Have you tried upping her feeding? It might just be something you have to do for a week or so then she goes back to normal..if it's a growth spurt.

To me it sounds more like teething. She could be waking because she is hurting OR that could be a growth spurt. But drooling, putting everything in her mouth sounds more like teething. I really don't think watching you eat is a good sign for starting solids because babies always watch and mimic, doesn't necc mean they are ready you know? Have you tried upping her feeding? It might just be something you have to do for a week or so then she goes back to normal..if it's a growth spurt.

Thanks, yeah yesterday i upped to 7oz and added an extra feed and today im doing the same. Weaning obv isnt an option but i just dont know whether hungry baby milk would make a difference! Thing is, she doesnt seem in pain or anything just really restless. Will keep going with this for a few days and c if it makes a difference then if not will speak to h/v. Kx

We started Grady on cereal for his night time feed about a week ago. And he loves it. And he's just shy of 2 weeks older than Jessica.
If you feel it's what she needs, do it.
If people say things, tell them to stick it. You know whats best for your baby!

We started Grady on cereal for his night time feed about a week ago. And he loves it. And he's just shy of 2 weeks older than Jessica.

Thanks hun, if u dont mind me asking what made u decide to start? Kx

We weaned Maley at nearly three months (just past 11 weeks) because bottles werent satisfying her and she would scream for more milk after an 8oz bottle! She was also staring at us eating.

We havent had any problems with her and she has both purees and finger foods. She has no teeth yet but still bites her food and eats lumps!

She calmed down straight after we weaned her. Didnt cry for more milk anymore.

Its not the worst thing if you wean her now, after all, its only some baby rice....your hardly going to be giving her three meals a day right now! Good luck and ask me anything xx

Watching you eat is just a part of development, they will watch everything you do. Jack watches me brush my teeth, it doesn't mean he needs me to brush his gums lol!

They normally have a growth spurt at about 3 months, so her waking at night and feeding more could be part of that. I definitely agree that the drooling and shoving things in her mouth sounds like teething. Jack has been doing that since 7 weeks so it definitely doesn't mean he needs solids!!

Also 2lb weight gain in 4 weeks sounds about average to me as they are usually expected to gain about 1oz a day. And it's normal for their weight gain to slow down a bit after three months.

i agree with shifter hun Rhys has been drooling since too months he beats beethoven hands down, try some bonjela or such like her teeth may be bothering her, i wouldnt reccomend starting to wean until she definetly showing the proper signs as in plato in weight, whingy between feeds, unsettled sleep patterns day and night. try and divert her if she start to cry, i get rhys to look at things and then he forgets what he was crying for

She is bang on ready for her 3 month growth spurt, which usually lasts about a week :) See if she is still the same in about 7/8 days then decide where to go from there.

Katie was born 3 days before your LO, she is at the hand in mouth stage and dribbling, she isnt teething but i think its the start of it.

She weighs 13lb 12oz as of last Friday.

She is currently on 4-5 6oz bottles a day, she has her last feed between 6 and 10pm and sleeps thru till 6am.

It sounds like they are due a growth spurt, weaning at this stage is not the end of the world but i think upping her milk will probably sort out the waking in the night.

V xxxx

Thanks girls for all the advice. Ive upped all her feeds to 7oz and she doesnt seem any more settled so far but im going to leave it a week or so to see if it is a growth spurt and if not then think i might try hungry baby milk. I really really dont want to start weaning her, want to get her as close to 6mnths as possible so hoping if need be the hungry baby milk will make a difference. Kx

Thanks hun, if u dont mind me asking what made u decide to start? Kx

For about a week he wasn't satisfied with just the formula, he was fussier, and he was up throughout the night again.
And since starting the cereal, he's doing so much better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->