Just saying hello!

Lottie86

Mummy to Findlay & Iona
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Lottie and I had my little man Findlay on Monday at 35 weeks and just wanted to say hi and that I am looking forward to getting to know you all. He was 2.5kg and really really long! (my OH is 6ft 5 so seems he takes after his Daddy!!)

My placenta has slowly been detaching a little bit at a time for a while due to a medical condition I have but it detached a bit more a week last Monday which caused a big bleed and got rushed to hospital in an ambulance. To start with Findlay was doing ok and it was just me in distress (my uterus was almost constantly contracting which was not pleasant to say the least!) so they didn't do anything but once he started showing signs of distress after it detatched a bit more on Friday they kept an even closer eye and then called it quits on Monday when I was 35 weeks as I kept collapsing and his obs went really dodgy and they were worried the placenta would completely detatch which would not have had a pleasant outcome so ended up being rushed down for an emergency c-section.

Findlay is still in intensive care in a full incubator as he can't control his body temp, is on a tube down his nose for feeding and is having v close eye kept on his breathing and is on antibiotics. He had a load of xrays on Monday night as they aren't sure whether he has an infection in his lungs or just a lot of excess fluid. They're having to keep an extra close eye on him due to my medical condition but the staff are fantastic and we can visit and phone 24/7.

He looks really odd (in as far as he doesn't look like the pics of chubby little babies you see in books) as he's quite red, v wrinkly and skinny, bit fuzzy and you can see all his ribs and when he breathes you can see all his organs move plus he's obviously hooked up to loads of monitors and tubes. We've had a few v short cuddles as he's not allowed out of his incubator for more than about 15mins even with lots of blankets on him.

I'm really scared of holding him and touching him as he looks so delicate and I don't want to hurt him. Every time one of his monitors bleeps I am so panicked that something awful has happened but usually it's just him having pulled at one of his monitor leads. He's really quiet at the moment and makes weird noises that sound like a cross between a kitten and a duck but no doubt once his lungs are stronger he'll make up for it!!

He was up to being tube fed 1ml an hour last night which is an improvement and they are hoping to get him up to 2ml per hour soon :) Hospital have lent me a pump so I can express for him as I thought that was probably the best thing to do to get antibodies and things into him.

So we now need him to progress enough with everything to move from NICU to the HD unit then and then to SCBU and then finally home! The hospital said they can't give any idea how long it will take as reach baby progresses at their own pace and some babies progress v fast and others do it slower so just take it one day at a time. My OH and I think we might do a photo journal as we think if we do that we might see the changes and improvements in him more as we'll be able to compare it to what he was like the day before etc (if that makes sense?)

It was so odd last night not being in the hospital and it was absolutely horrible coming home from the hospital without a baby but I just really couldn't stand being in a maternity ward surrounded by other people pushing their babies around and hearing them cry in the night. Hospital have said if I don't find I can cope being so far away from him just let them know and I can lodge in a special room right by his unit which is really nice of them.

Sorry for such a long post!

Here's a pic of my little man on my first time of touching him :cloud9:

Attachments

• Findlay!.jpg
    Findlay!.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 50
He is adorable! The staff that look after the babies are all so fantastic aren't they :cloud9:. I'm sure he will be home before you know it. I was always scared of 'breaking'Mollty when I touched her, but the nurse said, 'well we pulled her out of you and she didn't break!', so I used to try and remember that! It is horrible leaving them, but he is in the best place he could be right now :hug:

but the nurse said, 'well we pulled her out of you and she didn't break!', so I used to try and remember that!

I'd never thought of it like that! I'll remember that, thanks :D

I know! He will be home with you before you know it xxx

Bless him so glad you both are gettin the care u deserve xxx

Hi Lottie
Congratulations on your new arrival :) I hope it's not long until he's home where he belongs. I wish I had had the option of staing in hospital but unfortuantely the hospital Poppy was in didn't give us the option. Would have been nice to have had the choice :) xx

He looks such a little cutie. Big congratulations & I hope he's home very soon!! x x

This all sounds so familiar. Our daughter was born at 29 weeks on the 27th April. At 3lbs 7oz she was a bit of a bruiser for 29 weeks.

She is in NNICU and no-one seems keen to even give us a clue how long she will be there.

Leaving her there every day is difficult, but she is in the best place.

It is a scary time. Every beep, we automatically look up to see if it is her lights flashing. Thankfully it isn't often her.

One annoying thing is they have twice given her formula (and coincidentally that was the twice she was sick....) because they said they were out of my milk. The first time there was gallons in their freezer and the second time there should have been, but I've no idea where it went. I kicked up such a fuss about it that now they know to phone me if they think they will run short and we will get some in to them.

They also seem to want to always have her out for a cuddle. And yet every time we do, something happens. She was sick once (or was that the formula.....) She went back on to the C-PAP machine after the first time out. Back on to the ventilator after the second time out. And is it just me, but if they are sleeping soundly and settled and looking content, is it a good idea to grab them and take them out for a cuddle? I know she needs some cuddles and I would cuddle her all day if I could, but surely it isn't all about me is it?

Then there is the middle of the night call when they phone to say she is back on the ventilator. What am I supposed to do with that information at 3am? Do I sit up all night worried? Do I go in even though they said there was no need? Do I call every half hour to check how she is?

Anyways, nice to meet you here Lottie and I hope all is going well for you.

aww bless his lovely :hugs:, i hope you get him home soon:hug:
Please keep us updated on how his doing and how your doing aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->