Kai Logan Dacosta - 16th July 2009

Decosta1228

Married
Reaction score
This is going to be a different type of birth story as I can only describe it from a guy's point of view. I'm going to post it here and then in the birth stories and then see how I move this journal to parenting journals.

Monday

Contractions started, they were 6 minutes apart, then 5 minutes apart. Waters still had not broken. Phoned up, but by the time it was mid afternoon, they had gone to 10 minutes and then they had eventually stopped.

Tuesday

Contractions started again in the morning, pretty much the same pattern as monday, but this time, we phoned the midwife and went into the delivery ward to get assessed. Turns out that the baby had good movement and heartbeat and she was 1cm dilated.

Wednesday/Thursday

Contractions were roughly ranging from 6 minutes to 10 minutes. The difference today was that at 4:15, her waters broke and this continued for most of the day. Most of her pain was in the back. Rinse and repeat until we phoned the labour ward and got an appointment for the day assessment unit for 14:00.

Luckly (and I really mean this), we both tried to get to sleep (as in I did, she got snatches of sleep) and we woke up at about 13:00. We got ready, which was interesting as everytime she went to get dressed, she trickled or gushed, everytime she finished that, she got a contraction. This lasted for about 20 minutes, so much so that we were late for our appointment by 20 minutes.

So we got there and got assessed by a woman (who was a gobbie one, blaming equipment and complaining about that we were late, yadda yadda yadda). Baby had a good trace, but there was yellow stuff on her pad (which we thought was discharge) but it turned out to be myconium(sp) and the nurse thought she had a temperature (which she didn't, wife just runs at a higher baselevel).

So we got admitted to the delivery suite (basically the place where you go before and after you deliver). This bit is hazy as everytime i disappeared, something happened. As in, I went to get something from the car and the supermarket, when I came back, she was getting moved to the delivery ward. I believe because they examined her and she was 4cm (this was about 4-4.30ish).

So she got moved across into her own room (Bunny - I have pictures for you to see, once I get it off the camera). It had own bath. bounching ball, bean chair, tv and fan.

So she got examined (was 4cm), and she was told to be mobile for a while. This is where it gets a bit hazy.

Ah, that's it

Got put on a trace and was monitered for a good while, and the pain was coming every 5 minutes. This lasted until 9 because at one point, one of the nurses wanted to put a trace on the babies head but she couldn't as the lead wasn't picking up the babies beat.

She was examined at 9 but she was still 4 cms and she was put on the drip that speeds up the dilation of the cervix.

She continued to have contractions and there was no pain relief at this stage. At about 1ish (I had dosed off for a while). She got examined again and was still 4cm and the drip speed was upped to about 24ml.

We saw a nice anesatesist (Sp) who put in the epidural (which I have from wife is a good thing :thumbsup:). She felt it on one side only so on the top up, she had to tilt to one side to get it to work on the other side.

This basically continued until 6am (i had crashed out on the floor in her polka dot dressing gown again for 1-2 hours (and she was ok with it btw - the sleeping, not the dressing gown). In the mean time she had a cathether put in and the baby trace (babies heartbeat was between 140-160).

So at 6:00am, she had gone from 4cm to a grand total of 4.5cm (and this was from roughly 4pm previous day). So she had to have an emergency c-section.

So again, i go to get changed, and when i come back, they had moved her (seriously if you want something to happen, chuck your oh out for a few minutes).

Oh and another note - screams from other women giving birth are not that great to hear.

So, yes...went into threatre in my scrubs and crocs :) and had to wait outside while they did the spinal block, they told us they had 3 options

1) Knock out juice - Con - it affects baby
2) top up epidural - Con - It would be ok if wife didn't have to dance about (the leaning) to get it to work
3) Spinal block - easier for them and they know it works

Once they did that, I was called in and saw wife on the table, she was shivering, but that was because the body had basically been numbed down, so it couldn't tell if her body was warm or not so it made her shiver, which made her teeth ache.

Long story short, they cut her open (which was cool to see) and they delivered baby out into the world. At this point, it was very surreal as one minute, bump, next minute baby out into the world.

Baby was covered in crap, had a full set of hair and wasn't crying yet as they had to suck out the crap,etc. Then he started to cry, so I got to hold him while they sewed wife back up.

Arm workout or what, my arms were aching after 5 minutes, but I got a feeling was because you naturally tense up. So I introduced him to wife and we had a name for him, it was a toss up between kair and logan, but by looking at him, we just knew he was a kai.

So after the measurements (56cm) and weight (9lbs 10ozs), baby was cleaned (scored 7 on the baby alert test) and then 5 minutes later, scored a 9.

So we were left/monitered in the recovery baby for about 5 minutes and then wheeled back to the room (where I phoned, texted everyone).

Got transferred to the delivery suite and basically parenthood has begun, throughout of the day, we fed him (or tried to, bugger doesn't want to latch on properly, he doesn't open his mouth wide enough on one side or he latches and makes the clicking noise). We can see why people get depressed, so going to have to see/read the threads over in the bf section.

Not to sure if he's taking anything, but he's not screaming down the house as he's very calm at the moment.

He hasn't pooed or wee'ed since he was born (tbh he did, i just mean after he came out of the op room).

In laws visited and were pleased to see him, and then spent the rest of the day with him until I had to leave at 9pm. On a tangent, parking cost me 22 pounds

Came home and promptly fell asleep.

That's basically the nut shell version

https://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq113/decosta1228/kai.jpg

If you want to ask q - then that might be the better way cos then it might jog some extra detail

P.S - Reason for lack of dilation i think they put down to he was too big and the baby was basically saying No way!.. He had a cone head cos his head was plugging the cervix

Hope your wife has a speedy, uneventful recovery!!

Congratulations to you both. And well done for watching the c-section; my boyfriend saw some bloody surgical sponges and that was enough for him, he stuck around by my head instead.

I also experienced the shivering/shakes, and we got a parking ticket too.. $23 though, so half ish of what you got :rofl:

Congrats again, best of luck with your beautiful little boy. Love the name.

Congratulations :)

It's so interesting reading the whole experience from a blokes point of view :rofl: - makes me wonder what my DH would think about the whole thing :)

Just thought I'd add my congratulations here too! Oh and one thing I forgot to say in your journal - F*cking hell at the car park charges! I will have to remember when it comes to my turn to get my fil to drop us off or park the car at his work, which is only a few minutes away (as long as I can walk!). It's so disgusting the charges there!

xx

Congrats!
He's cute!
You're tough!
My OH nearly fainted with the smell of my cauterized skin! :rofl: There was no way in hell he'd actually look at them cut me open! lol

Great to hear a blokes point of view :)

Congrats on your blue bundle hes gorgeous. :happydance:

On a side note our hospital let you off on car park fees/charges if your in the maternity ward, we didnt think they would so took loads of cash!.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->