Kai won't take EBM at all - any advice PLEASE?

N

Neecee

Kai has always had breast milk. I had a lot of problems BF'ing in the early weeks, but I managed to express it to give to him in a bottle and that was fine. Then I managed to get him back on the boob with no problems. Now the problem is that he simply will not take expressed milk from a bottle. We've tried different types of bottles and different teats, and the ones he originally used in the early weeks, but he's just not having it! He fusses and fights with us so much and gets so wound up that I end up putting him on the boob just so that he doesn't get so upset and hungry. Now I feel like I'm trapped into having him on the breast all the time because he won't let anyone else feed him with a bottle, not even OH. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get him to take a bottle now and then? I need him to get used to it because I'm going back to work in a few months and he'll only have OH there to feed him so I don't want him to be upset and hungry all the time. Thanks for any advice you can give!

If he wasn't so young I'd suggest a cup, but it might still be worth a try?

:hug:

Have you tried to give him the bottle before he gets too hungry?? Like a good half hour
before you might normally feed him? :)

I think it would be worth a go. It's like anything - he can learn to :)

Caitlyn used to just suck the edge, but not all babies can figure it. She refused bottles when I tried to go back to them too x

:hug:

Have you tried to give him the bottle before he gets too hungry?? Like a good half hour
before you might normally feed him? :)

No, I haven't tried that. I'm never really sure when he's going to get hungry as I just feed him on demand and at the moment I think he's having a growth spurt as he's feeding quite often but at irregular intervals. As far as waking him to feed him goes, there's no hope of that - when he's out, he's out!

Also, I put 4-5oz in a bottle but I'll be lucky if he finishes even half of that. I know he's taking in a lot more from the breast so I don't know what to do about that either. He used to drain a 6oz helping with no problems at all.

I'd write down everytime you feed him for a few days and see if there is any kind of pattern to it. I have always fed on demand but I had a rough idea when she'd need feeding next and watch for her cues. So if you had a rough idea that he fed say every 2/3 hours then I'd try offering the bottle after about an hour and a half. Dont worry too much about the amount to start with, just concentrate on getting him taking the bottle without too much fighting!

Caitlyn used to just suck the edge, but not all babies can figure it. She refused bottles when I tried to go back to them too x

Do you mean a regular cup or something like a Tommy Tippee cup with the lid?

It's a lid type cup but I took the lid off, she doesn't like the lids :dohh:

The amedeus (spelling might be wrong) 360 is FAB, looks like a cup but they have to suck the edge x

I'd write down everytime you feed him for a few days and see if there is any kind of pattern to it. I have always fed on demand but I had a rough idea when she'd need feeding next and watch for her cues. So if you had a rough idea that he fed say every 2/3 hours then I'd try offering the bottle after about an hour and a half. Dont worry too much about the amount to start with, just concentrate on getting him taking the bottle without too much fighting!

That's a good idea, I think I'll start that tomorrow. I've got a freezer draw full of milk that could do with using now (yes, I managed to replenish my supply after the freezer disaster!)

Do you mean a regular cup or something like a Tommy Tippee cup with the lid?

It's a lid type cup but I took the lid off, she doesn't like the lids :dohh:

The amedeus (spelling might be wrong) 360 is FAB, looks like a cup but they have to suck the edge x

Thanks, I'll google that. Can you buy them in Boots or somewhere like that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->