Keep waking up on my back.....

Dukechick

Wife & proud Mom of 2
Reaction score
Well, I wake up to my husband tapping me, and telling me to roll onto my side. I think I made the mistake of telling him we're not supposed to sleep on our backs! lol

Is it a total RULE that we CAN'T sleep that way? How dangerous is it? Why can't we?? Does anyone else sleep on their backs?

I try to sleep on my sides as much as I can, but I tend to wake up on my back, because that's how I've always slept!!

:rofl: That's so funny - I woke up last night to DH trying to roll me onto my side!! I too had told him I shouldn't be sleeping on my back and he was worried about the baba!!!!!

My yoga teacher was talking about this the other week. Apparently it's more important as you get to 30 weeks+ to not sleep on your back. Something to do with putting pressure on your internal organs. However she did say that you really shouldn't panic if you wake on your back, just roll back on to your side as soon as you feel comfortable to do so. So don't worry about waking up on your back - there's not a lot you can do about it. As long as you try to go to sleep on your sides that should be fine xxxx

Try not to worry about it too much hun. It's not dangerous if we end up on our backs every so often. The pressure of the baby can put strain onto a main vein which can reduce blood flow to us and the baby, not by loads that it is dangerous though. Also laying on your back, from the pressure of the baby it can make your blood pressure drop a bit making you feel sick/dizzy which is another reason they say to avoid it if possible.

I've woke up on my back many a times. x

I wouldnt worry at all hun, as the others have said if you wake up on your back just roll onto your side. Also if the baby is lying on a nerve or vessel and its beginning to reduce blood flow your brain will tell you to turn anyway in your sleep so dont worry if you are sleeping on your back. I sleep on my back quite alot and have been told that its really not a problem as baby will wriggle loads if you need to move and your brain just tells you to move even when ur sleeping so dont panic :)

I'm 41+3 now and its done me and baby no harm x

it's recomended you should lie on left side isn't it?

i am 34weeks today (woohoo!!!) and i have spd/pgp and my left side is my worst side, so lying on my left side causes me sooo much pain and i have to keep changing sides and sometimes have to lie on my back because of the pain - so there isn't much i can do and up to now (we've had regular growth scansdue to a suspected problem that turned outto be nothing :D) everything has been ok :D

if we followed aaaall the rulesof pregnancy down to a T we'd spend forever wrapped up in cotton wool with our own oxygen supply and have areosol products banished from within 100miles of us.

xXx

This advice is a bit daft isn't it?! How on earth am I supposed to control how I am lying when I am asleep! Especially when there's a big bump on my front! Like others have said I'm sure this wasn't know a few years ago and I'm sure pregnant women have been sleeping on their backs for years!

My OH has woke me up a few times to tell me too roll onto my side, he just gets the blackest of looks and gets told to go forth and multiply if you catch my drift lol, i do turn over but begrudgingly :rofl: xx

Yes isn't it a pain. I have woke many a time like this and had to roll over. It seemingly puts pressure on a vain like others have said which reduces the blood flow but doesn't stop it.

I used to sleep on my tummy so now when I start out on my side I wake up and im leaning against my bump, in sort of some strange half on my tummy half on my side sort of position (I can't really get flat on my bump anymore)

Sometimes when I wake up my bump feels sore but I know she is fine because she kicks the crap out of me all the time. Sometimes if I lean too heavily on my bump in the night she kicks up a fit and wakes me. =)

But she is perfectly fine, my midwife checks on me every two weeks and everything is ok.

I used to sleep on my tummy so now when I start out on my side I wake up and im leaning against my bump, in sort of some strange half on my tummy half on my side sort of position (I can't really get flat on my bump anymore)

Sometimes when I wake up my bump feels sore but I know she is fine because she kicks the crap out of me all the time. Sometimes if I lean too heavily on my bump in the night she kicks up a fit and wakes me. =)

But she is perfectly fine, my midwife checks on me every two weeks and everything is ok.

you sleephowi most often do as it seems to be onlyway i cab get comfy! when i lie on sides before istartto ache it feels likei'm gonna over balance! :rofl:

xXx

Whenever I sleep on my left side she plays the drums on the bed so I am more a right hand sleeper these days!
Personlaly if i lie on my back now it hurts my back so fingers crossed, I stick to my sides, but I also have a long body pillow that helps.

Sod sleeping on your back. I keep waking up on my front!! Cos of the size of my boobs and thighs im not totally on my tummy, but still. I've started to get really numb arms/hands/shoulders sleeping on my sides

my midwife told me that its ok to wake up on your back, because th fact you are waking up in that position at all is your body's way of telling you to change position for a bit, so it wont do you any harm to have been sleeping like that.

it gets so uncomfortable sometimes, that you just have to sleep on your back. i was talking to my mum about this and she says she'd never heard that when she had us (obv quite a while ago!!!) but if the mums of her generation were fine and had healthy babies, then it mustnt be that bad x

I used to sleep on my tummy and that had to change, then it was on my back but thats just too painful now, I use a long body pillow and tend to stay on either side though have to keep swapping sides, I do wake up every now and then on my back and god do I know about it, I wouldn't worry too much as long as it isn't affecting you, take care :hugs:XX

i'm 4ever waking up on my back. i sleep with a pillow behind me now so i can roll onto it and i wont b completely on my back...kinda half tilted. also its far more comfy coz if i lay flat on my back my insides get very squashed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->