keeping diaper pail odors down

Marie000

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips on keeping their cloth diaper pail from stinking up the place.

I wasn't too concerned about it at my old place, because I could just leave the pail behind a closed door, but now that we have moved, that's no longer an option.

My diaper pail has a compartment in the lid to put odor controlling things (I assume that's what it's for). What could I put in there? Do store-bought odor absorbers work? Or are there any good homemade solutions?
I guess baking soda is always a good option, but the powder would just fall into the pail.

I'd get rid of the lid. Closed pails trap the ammonia odor, an open pail won't. As long as you wash every two days or so, it's not a problem. At least that worked for us! It was the general recommendation I found on the internet.

I rinse every nappy before it goes in the bucket and don't get any smells (I used to). The bucket is right by a sink in the laundry, so it's easy for me to rinse each insert/flat/prefold under the tap, quick ring out of the water and chuck it in the bucket.

I also find that they don't ever get any smell issues after being washed if I do this quick rinse too. Not saying that you do...just a good side effect.

Do you have a wet pail or a dry pail? I never tried wet, so I don't know how much that smells. When we did cloth, we just had ours in a bucket with nothing added. It never really smelled too bad.

How often do you wash? I wash every other day and really don't get much stink at all.

I have a dry pail. I used to wash every 3 days, but I will do it every 2 days now.

Unfortunately I can't really rinse the diapers. I don't have a laundry sink.

So far it's okay. I put some baking soda wrapped in thin fabric in the lid compartment and it seems to help.

You don't necessarily need a laundry sink. The bathroom sink can work just fine, as can a bathtub. Another thing you can do is give it a swish in the toilet and flush the toilet while holding on to the diaper.

I like what Sarahbear just said. I use the toilet and the sink or bathtub in the bathroom too.

If it's a poo'y nappy I flush the poo off while holding the soiled part in the water and rinse the nappy under a tap in the bath.

I used to keep a bucket in the bath too which is good, I only stopped as the kids kept trying to put toys in it.

All of my nappy brands say to rinse nappies before washing.

A friend of mine who cloth diapers said to me the other day when we were talking (I don't cloth) that she puts a couple of drops of tea tree oil on the first nappy that goes in and that's all it needs to stop smells...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->