Kiddos with developmental delays

It's cool. Me and Tiff have an unwritten waiver to hijack each others threads :rofl:

Tis true! I was guilty of derailing one of Sandi's threads just the other week. Chat/talk away! <3 :thumbup:

Imogen starts nursery next week - they've said they're fine with the not potty trained and non talking thing, but I'm still nervous for her :( I don't want anyone to judge her :( I've had enough of that recently. Imogen would never have anything remotely like a conversation with you. I try not to let it bother me when I see much younger children having conversations with their parents, but it kind of still does. It's a bit tough to say that Imogen's big step forward today was playing with her brother rather than screaming at him, when everyone else is talking about the cute things their kid said.

And pity party over.

Yes! I feel like that all the time. Kelana can do things that Makena has necer been able....Kelana even talks better!! She is a full 5.5 years younger than Makena. Breaks my heart.

My son has speech delays and sees a therapist once a week for an hour for it. He is doing wonderfully but he is still way behind his peers...he went from not speaking at all to now repeating Some small words thanks to therapy but he doesn't talk on his own. I feel you as far as feeling sad when I see other people who have younger kids doing better than my son speech wise. It has gotten to the point where I have started hiding/deleting "braggers" on Facebook because it does nothing but upset me when I see "oh little 12 month old Timmy said I love you today" when my son doesn't even call me mama.

I also feel some jealousy. Maybe it is bad to say but my husband went to a top US school and I'm pretty smart myself...I kind of always assumed our children would be so advanced...I never expected that the kids of some of my less intelligent peers would be doing so much better.

I take so much pride in the strives my son has made since starting therapy but it still hurts. He looks older than he is too so people go up to him and start talking and assuming he will reply. I just play it off like he is shy. :cry:

Samiam - Just wanted to say that your son's speech at this point doesn't mean that he is less intelligent at all. IME they send kids to speech therapy so much earlier in the US. In other countries they don't even start to worry until after 2 unless there are other developmental concerns because so many of the kids catch up. x

Claire looks older than she is too. When she was 2.5 I was up at the plaza and the lady there asked if she had just finished her last day of school! (It was the end of June). I was like "Uh, she's 2...." :haha:

I agree, it makes it tougher when they look older than what they are. :hugs:

Sun makes a very good point. I get what you mean though, its hard when you have all these hopes and expectations while pregnant. I never once thought that my kiddo would have the issues she does. Was quite the rude awakening! Of course we love our kiddos and obviously we love them for who they are etc... but IMHO that doesn't mean that you don't have the moments where you really, just really wish your did advanced like others did.

:flower:

Samiam - Just wanted to say that your son's speech at this point doesn't mean that he is less intelligent at all. IME they send kids to speech therapy so much earlier in the US. In other countries they don't even start to worry until after 2 unless there are other developmental concerns because so many of the kids catch up. x

WSS. My daughter never spoke for years...she is 'behind' according to standardized tests, but she also excels in other areas.

I get you!
My sons, my 7 sons are ALL different, I have one severely delayed, just been diagnosed with pddnos (autism) and I am so hurt by it. I have always compared him to the older 4 and get sad that he cant do this cant do that, hes 3 September 22, and JUST learned to hold a spoon. He has under 20 words right now and cant even talk much if that. He doesnt get it. He cant color, he cant even change his own clothes. So I get it. I have friends whos kids are younger and talk sentences, even my older kids point out other kids who do things and it hurts. My 5th is in therapy now, been a week now, hoping it improves. Have you enrolled her in any program for a few hours a week? I would, if you could, just to get her interacting, even if she doesnt get it. It will help. My 6th son who is a year younger than the one Im talking about is way more advanced and I often ask him to go help his brother. :) Just wanting you to know that you can vent any time, and know that we all can relate.

I totally get this. My son is behind in every way and most of the time I'm positive about things but every so often it truly breaks my heart. My lo is 14 months and she is miles and miles ahead of him in every single way and it's amazing to see but it's sad too because of all that my son has missed out on and what we have missed out too. Life sucks sometimes xx:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->