Kitchen ideas!

JadeyB

Mummy of 2 (1 Angel baby)
Reaction score
Hi girls,

I need your help.

We are having an extension started in the new year. Well me and DH are absolutely rubbish when it comes to interior design!!!

We are having an open plan kitchen/diner/lounge and completely unsure as to what style/colour kitchen to choose.

I want to make sure the kitchen flows in to the other area. I like modern but not too space age. I don't want anything that looks too clinical.

Anyone have any ideas? Or any photos they can share. :)

I always loved the idea of a retro 50s style diner, black and white checkerboard tiles on the floor, lots of chrome and red everywhere!

EDIT: like this!

https://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd365/therealnuke/diner.jpg

We have a big kitchen, lounge and dining room all combined. I'll try and put some photos up. We have mixed finish on the cupboards like a gloss cream top ones, and dark zebra wood on the bottom. Silestone tops which are fab! We've gotloads of gadgets ... Waste disposal, a quooker where you have hot boiled water that comes straight from a tap.. Love this!! An island which hAs my Ovens and induction hob, love that too as it's really safety concious! A warming drawer thats kind of a hostess trolly. Wine cooler and aN extractor over the island that's a light too! I recommend the large drawers for plates and other dishes and servers ect.

I always loved the idea of a retro 50s style diner, black and white checkerboard tiles on the floor, lots of chrome and red everywhere!

Thanks hon, looks really nice. Xx

We have a big kitchen, lounge and dining room all combined. I'll try and put some photos up. We have mixed finish on the cupboards like a gloss cream top ones, and dark zebra wood on the bottom. Silestone tops which are fab! We've gotloads of gadgets ... Waste disposal, a quooker where you have hot boiled water that comes straight from a tap.. Love this!! An island which hAs my Ovens and induction hob, love that too as it's really safety concious! A warming drawer thats kind of a hostess trolly. Wine cooler and aN extractor over the island that's a light too! I recommend the large drawers for plates and other dishes and servers ect.

Oooooh, sounds quite similar to what I've been thinking. Looking forward to seeing pictures.

We are gong to have an island and will probably need to put the hob on it as we won't have room for it anywhere else. How do you find it? Would definitely like to get an induction hob as I want to make this kitchen as child friendly as possible.

Love the idea of gadgets, but I have a feeling that we may need to hold back on those because of cost. X

sorry, 2 are the wrong way roound!! the kitchens messy since we had LO. had to buy a kettle as you cant use the qooker with his formula and stupid huge steriliser!
its kind of a big L shape,works really well for us as we love entertaining! last sunday we had a load of friends round and everyone just parked around the island and we got cheeses and pates ect, very social!! i loved designing this,would be my dream job! not sure i could ever extend agian,we slept on a matress in the lounge next to the fridge and dining table for 2 night,that was a very low point!

Love it, love it, love it. Especially the kitchen. Thanks for sharing.

This is completely along the lines that we are thinking. We are having a large rectangle room with pitched ceiling and floor to ceiling windows at one end.

Can't wait to get on and start it now. I think I need you to design it for me - lol!

We have 16ft of doors at the back that are bi folding so completely open up, I'd do a pic of that cos they look fab but it's freeeezing ha!! Everywhere does CAD now so you it gives a good idea what it will turn out like. We had a decent budget but I knew with everything I wanted in it I'd need the budget! Really try and stick to the budget as we went waaay over with the whole extension! With the kitchen I literally put everything I liked in then looked at the price and took the things away least important. You'd be suprised how much the racks ect are for in the cupboards so we did away with all of that.if you can afford it the hot tap is probably the most usef thing as we use it for pasta rice ect. And the biggest thing if you want tv wall mounted get all your sky leads INCLUDING HD before 2nd fix! Not a lead in sight in our house, everythings tucked away! We have a vaulted ceiling in the bedroom with a huge chandelier, looks fab!!

Love all my cooking stuff on the island, so easy to serve as it's bigger than a nomal workspace so bowls ect are to hand. Defo drawers for plates and dishes. The one thing I didn't do was have plugs on the island, really bugs me as if I'm using a mixer I have to move! Stupid hubby thought they'd ruin the finish on the panels having sockets but you can get a pop up socket that goes into the work top wish I'd got it!

It sounds stunning! I bet it makes life so easy. I know this sounds a bit dramatic, but I feel it will change my life - lol! Our house is so not child friendly at the moment and I don't feel that I can prepare tea and keep Ethan safe as our kitchen is sooo small!

Thanks for all of the tips. If we go for the cooking area on the island, then I will make sure we get a pop up socket.

How do you get on with it being a social sit round area as well as a cooking area? Xx

I really did change our lives!! It's so social, were either at the island eating if it's just us and the tv is just opposite so dh doesn't miss one second of sky sports! Tonight I'm cooking for friends so I'll do like nibbles at the island while I'm cooking as there's seats tucked under the other side then sit down at the table for the meal... Then clear off after to the sofa! Works really well and each space is defined but flows through. I've stuck to blacks, creams greys and brown through just to keep the colour scheme the same. We also have a lounge seperate so our 12 yr old goes in there if his friends are round so were kind of still all together as well as opposite the corner sofa we've got 2 glass doors to see through. If your budgets stretches, we have amtico flooring. It's a posh kind of vinyl, you can go for any style colour ect just warmer than tiles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->