Lack of AF whilst breastfeeding...

littlefish85

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else in same situation - my first is 7 months and we are not really trying as no AF yet since he was born (still breastfeeding) but we are ntnp I guess and would be happy if it happened (still slightly scary thought just yet though!) Our son took over a year to conceive so we don't really want to wait ages and I'm not keen on going back on the pill...but anyway I was thinking I might not know if I did get pregnant if not many symptoms as I would probably still think AF was still missing!

Anyone experienced similar or ntnp soon after baby? Is it better to wait until had first AF to make dates easier etc?

Have you had a period since your son was born? Because breastfeeding reduces the hormone that starts your ovulation. It's not impossible to get pregnant while breastfeeding but it is very very very unlikely. They recommend leaving 6 hours minimum between breastfeeds in order to "trick" your body into thinking you're no longer breastfeeding and starts producing that hormone again, therefore starting your cycles again.

I wanted to start TTCing for #2 but didnt want to stop breastfeeding so we night weaned. To night wean they say, don't breastfeed between 9pm-6am. My daughter would feed at 8.30pm and would then wake at 6.30am one she had been fully night weaned (it took roughly 2 weeks to night wean her). About a month after she was night weaned, I began having cycles and ovulating again. It also helped because she was having solids throughout the day so therefore was only having the 2 feeds a day, morning and night. I'm currently on my 3rd cycle since they started again and unfortunately it looks like I've just had a failed pregnancy.

So anyway, if you're wanting to conceive, your best bet is to night wean, even if you just switch to bottles between the hours of 9pm-6am if you're not ready to cut out any possible night feeds. Once your progesterone levels are strong enough, you should start ovulating and having periods again. Hope that has helped a little, good luck.

-AussieBub

Im the same as you. Ntnp some times. Havent had af back since my daughter was born 5months ago and shes slept thru the night since 2months old so i thought i would have had it back by now. I dont really want to get pregnant yet we just taking the risk ocasionly but im getting paranoid that i wont no and then ill find im like 3months preg lol.

With all 4 of my girls I had no cycles till I weaned them off the breast.The same hormones that make milk suppress the release of reproductive hormones.

Thanks for the replys... yeah he doesn't feed at night any more for about 12 hrs (although I express once for supply for nursery). I was hoping that night weaning might bring cycles back but nothing yet. I keep getting random signs of ovulation but then no period so I assume things are just changing with hormones etc..

Have to wait and see I guess but thanks!

If you want, on the NTNP forum there is actually a TTC/NTNP while breastfeeding thread. It has a lot of women in the same boat that may be helpful if you want :) Good luck.

-AussieBub

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->