Lactose Intolerant??

Nessicle

Reaction score
Ok to cut a very long story short, I'd been having lots of pain on my right side under my ribs a few years ago. I had a sigmoidoscopy, CT Scan, laparoscopy, blood tests and nothing was found so I was told IBS and sent packing. However, after it didnt get any better and my health took a nosedive including muscle weakness (could be due to illnesses though) and headaches my GP said we should explore coeliac disease and asked me to lead a gluten free lifestyle. I did and all the symptoms went so my GP said, voila and this is the cause and that was that.

However, since I've had Ava its almost impossible to lead a gluten free lifestyle as coeliac friendly foods require cooking from scratch.

In the sunny weather I've had a few ice creams which have lead to diarrhea and nausea and feeling generally rotten. I had the same thing with a Homepride pasta bake (contains milk) and I had used gluten free pasta so I know it couldnt have been gluten.

Looking back whenever I've had this right sided pain is when I've had cereal with milk (again mainly gluten free). I've been googling and noticed this right sided pain seems to be pretty common with lactose intolerance.

Anyone out there who's symptoms sound like mine who has a lactose intolerance or who thinks thats what it sounds like??

The gluten free products are also free from milk so I wouldnt have had symptoms while eating a GF diet and I rarely had cereal whilst on that.

Heya Hun!!

I'm exactly the same with milk, and in the past it gave me the stomach pains and upset stomach, but not in the same way being glutened would.

I'd definately give cutting out the lactose a try as for me it helped really quickly.

I would add though, from being glutened about six weeks ago, it took me over a month to be free of glutened symptoms. xx

hey honey! Wow 10 days to go!! eeek!!! so excited for you!!

Hmm well I'd been living gluten free for a few years but the gluten free stuff as I said didnt contain milk so on the rare occasion I did have milk in cereal I would have pain but I never linked the two until now!

I seem to be ok with tea though it does make me go to the toilet straightaway! Gonna replace milk stuffs with soya versions see if it makes a difference - can you get cows milk free bread?

Most GF bread is milk free too, Genius definately is.

I use lactofree milk and cheese and its the same as normal just with enzymes added to have broken down the lactose. xx

The genious bread and GF bread is yucky lol like eating cardboard thats why I never ate it ha ha

Defo get some of the lactofree stuff and see how I go!xx

Sainsburys and Tesco fresh rolls are my favourites, genius hmm.... I think you got it covered. :p xx

hun it could be the casein, most people with coeliacs/problems with gluten are also intolerant to casein as they are structurally similar, casein is a dairy protein. My sister has Crohns and it is gluten and casein that cause her the most issues. xx

Thanks honey! Using lacto free and seems to be helping! No pain or mad toilet dashes!

I am have been without lactose and gluten for 6 months now (I have a thread in this section). Schar does great bread gluten and lactose free. XXX

I am lactose intolerant, sounds exactly like my symptoms. I've been avoiding dairy for a few years now but recently gave in to some regular chocolate (specifically Creme Eggs :dohh: ) and really regretted it for both my diet and the flare up of symptoms that came with it!

Most brown and grain breads should be dairy free. They sometimes add milk to white bread as it makes it softer. I usually have oatmeal or granary bread and I've never seen milk on the label of the brands I buy. Not sure about both GF and DF though, if you're planning on still avoiding gluten as well.

By the way - if your weakness is chocolate like mine, there is an excellent dairy free milk chocolate called "Moo Free" made with rice milk. My local health food store stocks it. I buy it every now and then as a treat. :cloud9:

Thank you everyone! Things are much better now and no pain from eating gluten so I believe after all this time this is it! woo hoo! Thank you for all the tips too, I'm checking labels and its much easier than gluten free lol. I had some choccie and my stomach bloated up yikes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->