Ladies I need some help.

Mummy to be x

The 4 of us...♡
Reaction score
Ok so this afternoon I went for my routine midwife appointment (34 weeks) my urine was fine, blood pressure fine, baby nice and head down :thumbup: , and heartbeat was perfect.

HOWEVER, my bloods came back fine with iron count but the midwife said they came back with low platelets, I've never heard of this before EVER, she told me not to worry but she's now put me under the consultant who I will meet with on 1st to discuss this further, I've had my bloods redone today and she will get the results back tomorrow but either way I stay under consultant care.

She said I won't be allowed on the birth centre and they don't like you to have the epidural with this condition.

I feel so upset by this, the birth with my DD was awful so this time I was really hoping for a nice natural water birth in the relaxing environment of a birthing centre. I had an epidural with my DD too as I felt I needed it at the time, what if I feel that way again?! But they won't allow it, how on earth am I going to cope :cry:

Have any of you ladies had experience with low platelet count in pregnancy? It seems such a long wait till I see the consultant.

Thanks in advance x

Sorry mummy. No advice but didn't want to read and run xx

:hugs: also didn't want to read and run. I'm not entirely sure on this, and never had this experience. Try not to worry as your MW has said, though I know that's easier said than done.

I think she overreacting slightly to be honest after a quick Google.
I would establish the exact numbers to start with and then see what the next test shows to see if it's actually really low as and dropping or stable etc.
I'd look up the risks and go to the appointment well informed, also ask the reason they wouldn't accept you at the birth centre because I think you could probably argue against that.
Xx

My numbers wasn't hugely low, they are supposed be at least 140 and they where 120, I will have the results of my new blood draw tomorrow afternoon so I'm hoping they've risen, but she said either way I've got to stay under a consultant.

Just feels like such a long wait till the consultant but I suppose he's the only one who will be able to give me the answers.

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/x542273/should-i-worry-if-i-have-low-platelets

xx

Thanks raspberry. I've done nothing but google since I arrived home lol x

Ive never had this problem but what i do want to say is look at NICE guidelines.

Alot of places are very you cant do this or that when in actual fact you can, its your birth its your choice.

As for whole epi i wouldnt even think about that, you may have easiest & quickest birth in world. Stay positive :)

After you get your results today I would ask your midwife why it makes it so you can't have your water birth there. I can see how it would cause problems but if it's not too low maybe there can be a compromise of cautions taken. Could you birth in a hospital but with a midwife?

Try not to stress too hard on the epi:hugs: This birth can be and probably will be completely different than DD's, believe in yourself and your body:hugs:

The midwife said it may be that I lose more blood than I would with a normal platelet count so I presume that's why they'd want me on the labour ward with doctors around. She didn't tell me much to be honest she said not to worry and it will al be discussed when I see the consultant on the 1st.

At least you'll be getting answers from the consultant, I'm sorry that your appointment is so far away though, they didn't have any openings sooner?

I hope that if you do have to birth in a labor ward that you still can have a midwife and get as close to your desired birth as you were wanting:hugs: I know some hospitals let you labor in tubs, that could still be helpful.

At least you'll be getting answers from the consultant, I'm sorry that your appointment is so far away though, they didn't have any openings sooner?

I hope that if you do have to birth in a labor ward that you still can have a midwife and get as close to your desired birth as you were wanting:hugs: I know some hospitals let you labor in tubs, that could still be helpful.

She tried to fit me in with the consultant this upcoming Monday but he was fully booked unfortunately :( so I've got a bit of an extra wait but never mind.

I think i just feel a bit disheartened, I was really hoping for a water birth and it feels like that is far from what I will get. I'm trying to stay positive for now though until I meet with my consultant :flower:

I think she overreacting slightly to be honest after a quick Google.
I would establish the exact numbers to start with and then see what the next test shows to see if it's actually really low as and dropping or stable etc.
I'd look up the risks and go to the appointment well informed, also ask the reason they wouldn't accept you at the birth centre because I think you could probably argue against that.
Xx

Completely agree. Learn as much as you can beforehand and go in ready to fight. My iron levels were low early on in my first pregnancy, so they put me on a supplement and I had a beautiful, natural delivery.

I really think they're being unfair to put you in a corner so quickly... All the same, natural deliveries are VERY possible at hospital and (like mine) can be thoroughly enjoyable! Have you looked into using a doula? You might want also to read Ina May Gaskin's book, "Guide to Childbirth". I've been reading it and am learning a tremendous amount, even though I'm on my second baby! It's PACKED full of pain relief suggestions that will help no matter where you deliver...

Good luck!!

I have no experience of the low platelet count but as far as not having an epi goes, I might be able to give some advice:

I have an awful fear of medication that alters my body/state of mind so have chosen not to have an epi or pethidine. I'm finding it helpful to think "the pain will be normal, no matter how intense it is, and it will be over. There is an end point to it and if I can just be tough until then, everything will be fine". It is really helping me get my head around my decision to not have pain relief thinking this way.
I know it must be different if the decision is forced upon you, but I think if you spend time now accepting that you may not be able to have it, your mind will be more prepared for that eventuality.

Try not to stress and fingers crossed that you get the birth you want! X

Thank you ladies.

I think my biggest fear is that I'm so worried About not been able to handle the pain like my first birth and I had in my head that the birthing pool would be so relaxing for me, but Now I may have to find something else to relax me as much as possible.

I will definitely look Into that book too :)

Im in the US but thought I'd share what I know about platelets..... platelets and iron don't always go hand in hand. Platelets are responsible for the clotting process. So if platelet levels are too low you can lose a lot of blood as your body wouldn't be able stop the bleeding naturally.
the epidural can be dangerous if your body can't stop bleeding. (don't recall exactly how)
120 doesn't seem too low. I agree with other posts, be well prepared to ask questions and be very determined and straight forward with your consultant and mw. It is still your body and your decision but low platelets can be dangerous so make sure you know your benefits and risks before making a decision. Best of luck!

i cant relate but just wanted say. That was fast result were i am tell you should hear within 10days for results. And my last labour (no2) i had no pain relief, they refused give me anything as id not been examined an also refused do it to until near shift change at 7 (supposed check at 6 but emergency came up) so was 6.20 an i wanted push an she was born 6.28. All i got was paracetmol an bath at 5, luckly was only 6.5 hour labour. It does seem along time away til apoint. Platletes i think help blood clotting? So there be risk over bleeding etc but your not that low an other bloods could be fine. Take care hun hope you get birth you want/an easier birth experience.

This happened to my friend.... Depending where you live some want it to be over 100 for an epidural and others want it to be over 80. It depends what your hospitals rules are..... Unfortunately it is what it is :/ the best thing you could do is prepare yourself for a natural birth if it's your only choice ..... Breathing techniques, hypnose birthing .... Etc. hang in there, u still have some time for your numbers to change, good luck !

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->