Ladies I need your help!

kiki04

A girl can dream....
Reaction score
Please for the love of god someone solve this riddle for me...

OK so my brother gave me this riddle this morning and I have made several phone calls trying to get other people to figure it out and we just CAN'T!! So I am hoping someone here can find me this answer...

You want to buy something that costs $97 but have no money.

You get $50 from your mom.

You get $50 from your dad.

You now have $100.

You purchase the item for $97.

You now have $3 change.

You give your mom back $1 and your dad back $1 and you keep $1 for yourself.

=$100 right?

Well if you gave your mom and dad each back $1, they technically each put in $49.

$49 + $49 =$98, plus the $1 you kept for yourself is $99.

Where did the extra $1 go?

I don't know about you, but since I lost the boys my brain has been mush! Maybe we're not the best ones to ask, if I'm anything to go by?! I've seen this somewhere else before, too but I still can't get it, pah.

I got it!

You have spent $97, have 3 left over. You give one back to mom one back to dad and keep one. This means mom and dad are out $49 each.

It isn't $49+$49+$1 that you kept... the $49 INCLUDES the $1 you kept so the breakdown is this.

Each parent put .50 towards your $1 so they spent 48.50 each on the item.

48.5+48.5=97... for the item. Then the additional .50 from each of them went towards your dollar, bringing the total to $98. Then they each got one dollar back... making $100 :happydance:

good! I'm glad you put the answer in!

best wishes

Still dont get it!

Your right though Nikki - I couldnt remember my address the other day. I've lived here 5 years! Thats just the start of it. I have hardly any memory...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->