ladies who have been induced before?

brunette&bubs

Mommy to James
Reaction score
what was your experience, honestly?

I've heard a lot of bad experiences and I want to know your story (how long it lasted from start to finish, how the pain was, etc...)

I have to get an induction at 37+4 for medical purposes and I am terrified...
I'm sure there are probably more horror stories than positive ones!

Bump! I'd like to know people's experiences too as induction is not out of the question for me.
All I've generally heard is stories of it not working, or it brings on really fierce contractions even in the early stages....not sure if this makes the labour any shorter though , would be good to know!

Would like to know as well as I am going to ask for an induction at my next appt because DH is deploying VERY soon and I want him to be able to spend time with LO before.

I want to know too! My baby appears to be too comfy so I can feel an induction coming along!

Haha neither can I!!!! I don't want to play anymore! :brat:

Come on Isaac, its lovely out here, I promise!!!! :)

How are you feeling hun?

Ok... here's mine. :)
I went to the hospital and they said I was only 2cm dialated (you had to be 4 to be admitted). I was 40+5.
Dr. told me to walk the hospital grounds for 2 hours to see if it would get things moving along. Was re-examed, and was at 3 cm (I was admitted because it was an hr and half drive back home)
Was monitored for awhile, then put on pitocin. It sped up the contractions and intensity. Not too much, and not too little... it was like they got the amount of the drug just right.
Stayed the night, and the next morning, I was between 4-5cm, and they decided to break my water (around 10am). Everything up to that point was wonderful. I was able to manage the pain, and even sleep on and off... but... OMG... when they broke my water, labor hit me like a ton on bricks! The contractions were extrememly intense. But, honestly... I believe they would've been intense with or without the pitocin, because at that point, they stopped the drip.
After they broke my water, I was having temors and throwing up, and was begging for pain relief.. and got the epi. I didn't have a birth plan, so, wasn't disappointed that I wasn't able to do it 'natural'.
After the epi, labor slowed a little (which is normal), so, I was back on the pitocin. Was fully dialated at 5pm, and pushed for less then 20 mins. DS was 8lbs 4oz.

I have an induction set for the 8th, and I'm looking forward to it.

So, not all are horror stories ladies. I think if your Bishop Score is high enough, you will be just fine with an induction. :flower:

I was induced with my son...heres how that went.

I was up one morning thinking my water was leaking so I went to the hospital to see. They said I hadn't broken my waters and did a non-stress test. While that was going on my water did break and since I was GBS+ they admitted me immediately. This was at about 11am. By 1pm they decided to induce me as I was not feeling any contractions. For an hour or two more I still didnt feel any contractions. One they started they were horrible. I went from never feeling a contraction, not even a BH to hard and fast contractions every few mins lasting a min or more. I was barely 1/2cm when I was admitted and although I dont remember what time it was when I got to 3cm I remember I felt like I was dying by then(& I dont think it was too long, a few hours?). I got the shot of demerol because I was hysterical in pain to try and take the edge off until I could get the epidural. I'm a person with pretty high pain tolerance and I was beside myself with agony begging for the epidural because the pitocin contractions were so bad. They ended up giving me the epi early at 3cm when they would have preferred to wait til at least 4cm. The epi worked except a cramp I would get on my right side each contraction which was a spot I cramped throughout my whole pregnancy oddly. I was fully dilated by about 1am and began pushing then. I pushed for an hour and just did not have any energy(by this point I had not eaten in maybe 30hrs & was dry heaving everytime I tried to hold my breath to push). They ended up using a vacuum to get him out, luckily one or two pushes with it was all it took and my 8lb 1oz son was born at 2:06am. So it was roughly 13hrs from start of pitocin until delivery. The contractions were more than miserable for me and unbearable but I didnt exactly have a good birthing partner to help me either.

I would highly recommend trying to aovid induction. I was lucky that they didnt end up giving me a csection :nope:

I was induced with my daughter and I actually did not mind it. However I did not need pitocin. I went to the doctors on my due date and had an ultrasound where they told me there was not enough fluid so they wanted to induce. Where I live they don't start right off with pitocin you start off with cervadil and if that doesn't start contractions then u get it. I was lucky and my contractions started around 1am. after my epi I was stuck on 6 cm for awhile. At 4:21 pm my daughter was born. So no horror story for me lol if it could go exactly like that again I would def be induced again

I was induced with my DS at 36+4 due to complications and GBS+ as well. I arrived at the hospital at 7am was put to my room and hooked up to the monitors...no contractions they started the pitocin at 8am and I believe the anitbiotic at this time as well. Dr came in and checked me at 10am I was 5cm dilated so he broke my water her came back in around noon and I was 8 so he said he was gonna run a errand get some lunch and be back intime for me to push...we that was just what I needed to here I ended up having to wait on him. LOL I was at 10cm 15 min later. I delivered my 8lb 11z son at 1:18pm so from start to finish it 5 to 6 hours. Was a good experience. :) But I still want to try for a natural birth for this one.

I was induced at 40+2 due to raised BP. I had the first lot of gel inserted at 9am, nothing happened and I had the second at around 12. Around an hour or so later I started getting pains (no worse than period pains), and by mid afternoon was having mildish contractions. The real contractions started around 6/7pm, my waters were broken by the midwife around this time, and DD was born at 9pm.

I didn't find it a bad experience at all (especially for my first) and would be happy to be induced in the same way this time around.

Very painful. Back to back contractions. Had gas and air, then an epidural as you don't get a break from the pain, ended in emergency section.

You know I've read so many horror stories on here about induction. But mine was no different than my other labors!! But I have read and been told that if your cervix isn't already "ripe" that induction can be pretty tough. When I was induced when DD #2, I was 5 days over, 80% effaced, and 2cm dilated. From the time they started the pitocin drip until the time she was born was a total of 6hrs. With my son (who was born at 33wks) I was having nagging contractions for about 2 days so they gave me pitocin to get them regular. But quickly stopped the drip once the contractions were regular because he was coming fast!! (they did pitocin that early because I had been dilated since 27weeks and had been in the hospital due to PPROM since 31wks).

I have 3 very long induction stories that, should I get the time, I will be glad to share. In the meantime I will say that if you have to be induced, have in the birthplan that as soon as you hit established labour they are to remove the drip (should you need one).

Remember, all labours and LOs are different. If you get a midwife you can talk to, it will usually really help with you coping with whatever is thrown at you... induction or not.

I was induced at 38 weeks last time for medical reasons. The pessary was put in at 08:00am - I had scored low on the Bishops score two days earlier and they thought it would end in C-section so I wasn't allowed to eat during the labour however I was terribly thirsty so ate ice chips when they weren't looking.

I was on a drip from the start as I am diabetic and needed both insulin and glucose in the drip to control the sugar levels.

My contractions started around 10:00am (about 2 hours after insertion of the pessary) and my waters broke about 11:00am by themselves. At about 3-4cm dilated (about 13:00) I started asking for an epidural since I had had pitocin added when my waters broke and contractions were pretty strong. They couldn't find an anaethetist so brought gas and air which I used til 17:00 when they did find someone who could do the epidural (I have checked this time and they promised an anethetist will be available) I was 7cm dilated when eth epidural went in and it took 1.5 hours from then til I was fully dilated at which point I was told not to push and they got the gynae.

I pushed for 1.5 hours but believe this was largely because of the epidural. They used a ventouse multiple times. She got good apgar scores, but needed to go to ICU for the night to have sugars checked and check that her lungs were ok (this would have happened regardless due to my medical conditions)

This time I was offered a C-section from the start but have declined it as I believe giving birth naturally (or with induction) will be better. I am hoping for a slightly easier time of things this time (especially with the pushing) but basically I was pleased to have been able to give birth vaginally despite an induction. From start to finish was 12.5 hours. I will be induced again with this baby in about 3 weeks time if I do not go into labour earlier.

Honestly mine was very painful. The contractions come on thick & fast, there's no slow build up like a natural labour. I'd just get over one contraction and before you know it another one strikes. I ended up having g&a and then a mobile epidural (so I could still feel pressure, when to push & could move about within reason) and had an amazing labour!! If you go in to the birth announcements section & have a read there are tons of positive induction stories! :flower: x

I have been induced 3 times so far all because of GD and big babies.

first induction went as follows,
hooked up on drip and they broke my waters, contractions were not to bad at all and I was managing fine, I was a little scared though being my first labour and wondering what way it would go, I progressed very quick and I got to a point were Dh went to grab a bite to eat and midwife was gone on her break, the contractions got more intense but I was so scared, I asked for an epidural my induction began at 9 am I was 10 cm by 2pm but as Ive found out my babies stay high so they decided to wait on till his head came down some more before I started pushing, I cant remember when I started to push, I had to be told when to I couldnt feel the urge to push, but all of a sudden it was 6pm still pushing no baby and I was sooo tired he started to show signs of distress and they took blood from his head to see what his oxygen levels were they were ok not great but ok, they gave me a little more time, at this stage epidural had wore off and I was in so much pain, they then decided they try a ventouse 3 go's and if that did not work c section it didnt work so they section it was.

my second baby I went in to labour my self and deliverd him as well:happydance: very happy about that :haha:

My second induction, drip and then they made an atempt to break my waters which they could not, they were worried about baby head being high and cord coming down, so must have taken them a good hour to figure out a plan and do it, a lovely midwife got them in the end she was very experienced and had no problems in getting them! I had been fine with the pain of the contractions and was progressing very well, but when they broke my waters I just knew it would be fast, pain was so intense and the pressure around my bum intense, I used gas and air and then asked for an epidural ( I knew it was to late though) he was standing there and I said no way I can stay still for that needle its to late, the urge to push was so intense but I was very scared of pushing as of what happened on my first and I also had a long pushing stage on my second son, I really didnt want to be 2 hours pushing again. my midwife was brill though she told me to trust my body and go with it so I did and 15 minutes later baby was on my chest :happydance: I was over the moon and have to say I felt brill with in two hours of having him, it was great being able to have a shower, get dressed and walk around.

3rd induction simlar to 2nd only this time they brought me down to theatre to break my waters (over same concerns as rest of babies) I had a spinal block and a epidural :dohh: they broke them and I was 6 cm straight away! I knew though that labour would be slow to start becuase of all the meds, but once contractions started it was very quick again and I only really started to feel something when her head moved down, I just felt the pressure build up and then the urge to push came on again, my midwife was sure I would need some help getting baby out because of all the meds but no way was any one cutting me for a ventouse, 20 minutes later and had my baby :happydance:

So Ive had more good than bad experiences, with inductions I think your doing the right thing finding out now what to expect be prepared and trust your body if you are afraid it does make it all so much harder and scary! a good brith partner who is encouraging you all the way is a must as well, even though at the time we may tell them to shut up!!! :haha:

good luck!

PS some people have the gel to start labour Im not sure how that works as Ive never had it!

does any one know the diff between the two!!

Had 2 induction
First DD 42 weeks from start to finish 11 hours

Second DD 37 +5 from start to finish 46 hours (she just didn't want to come out!)

It's worth it in the end though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->